Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2022 12:50:12 PM EDT
Just bought 2 identical hard tails.  Scott Scale 970 in Large (29” wheels with skewer axles).  I’m looking for carbon wheels for one of them.

For enough $$, there are plenty of carbon wheels, but I do not have an extra $1,000 to $1,500 for wheels alone.

Found lots of terrible reviews of the site DIY carbon bikes.  Not sure about The Pros Closet (used carbon fiber).

This is the size I need:

HUB (FRONT) Formula CL-51
HUB (REAR) Formula CL-2241 / Boost QR 5x141mm
SPOKES Stainless Black 15G / 1.8mm
RIMS Syncros / 32H
FRONT TIRE Maxxis Rekon Race / 2.25" / 60TPI
REAR TIRE Maxxis Rekon Race / 2.25" / 60TPI

Anyone know of a place to buy one set of carbon in this size?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have your shop set it up with the rim you want

transferring the rear gears and the brake discs to a new wheelset can be fun

getting the hub spaced for the frame can be fun

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
I would have your shop set it up with the rim you want

transferring the rear gears and the brake discs to a new wheelset can be fun

getting the hub spaced for the frame can be fun

View Quote

Thanks doc - that is likely what I may end up doing.  

The shop where I bought the 2 bikes happens to be big into CF rims. But they consider themselves a “premium” shop / lifestyle vendor, and you pay for that.

The MTB “standards” seem to be in flux, as far as hub spacing, boost spacing, boost +, axle dimensions, etc.  might leave all this up to the pros and just pay the extra $$$
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Now I have spent many a sunny afternoon with a rim taped to a wheel
with the valve hole aligned and transferred the hub and spokes to a new rim.

it is a zen like activity and a powered spoke tensioner is a good thing
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Light Bicycle --  their carbon wheelsets are relatively inexpensive

Is your freehub XD driver or HG   -- if HG, i imagine a set of real Shimano hubs could be had pretty cheap to lace them to
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've enjoyed a set of BTLOS carbon wheels. Put some good miles on 'em, no complaints. If you can stomach importing from China.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My friend has had good luck with his chinesium rims he bought for like 200 bucks off eBay, and we do way more aggressive riding than I imagine you are doing on that bike.  They are probably the same shit you would get from most brands.  I have 2 sets of we are one rims and like them alot.  They are hand made in Canada from US sourced carbon and have a lifetime warranty.  I blew up one of my rear rims and only had to pay shipping to have it replaced.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:12:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skillshot] [#7]
Buy a set of rims from btlos or carbonfan if you can get them with the lockdowns, buy a set of hubs, send to lbs for a wheel build. Your bike isn't that great so you'd probably be happy with an aluminum something, XR391 or xm481.

For wheels, you get the best upgrade by putting money into a quality rear hub.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Problem with all this is the quick release hubs.
Unless you can convert them to real through axles I would not even bother to go to carbon.
I can imagine that you will be limited to bottom shelf hubs due to not many manufacturers making high point of engagement hubs with Q.R. compatible.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#9]
This is not a DH bike

QR will be fine if the OP can keep his hucks under 4 feet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top