Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2019 4:32:33 PM EDT
I find myself usually smoking 6 Inch or so Toros as my preferred Cigar size and shape.

BUT, when I get to the last 2 inches or so, typically where the band sits, I usually stop because by then the stick has a warm wet flavor to it that I hate.
Am I doing something wrong?

How far do you guys smoke to??
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Until they get uncomfortably warm.

Maybe an inch and a half.

I really hate to put them down, so I come back for "one more" until they get down that far.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No set answer,smoke until it doesn't taste good anymore or starts burning your tongue.

That wet you're describing could be a couple things.  Oils get released as the leaf heats up, which obviously you'll notice more as you burn it down. Occasionally you'll get unlucky and actually get a black goo on the head, looks like tar and is super bitter.  I just throw those away.

The other is your humidity in your humidor might be a little high.  I started getting much more enjoyable smokes when I dropped from 70% to 65%, and I try to keep Cubans at more like 63-64%. Personal preference, but they burn better, fewer relights, better flavor, and fewer instances of that sticky wet stuff you're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The other is your humidity in your humidor might be a little high.  I started getting much more enjoyable smokes when I dropped from 70% to 65%, and I try to keep Cubans at more like 63-64%.
View Quote
Thats what i was thinking, I have it set to 72% with a boveda
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
When the ashes fall behind my lips.

Link Posted: 4/27/2019 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
[Removed, this is not the General Discussion - Paul]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
When all the tobacco is gone

That is, after I'm through smoking it, I grind the clipping & remains for my pipe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BUT, when I get to the last 2 inches or so, typically where the band sits, I usually stop because by then the stick has a warm wet flavor to it that I hate.
View Quote
Some people claim that "purging" your cigar (blowing outward through it) can freshen it up and eliminate off flavors.  I'm not convinced it does anything, but I do it anyways.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Some people claim that "purging" your cigar (blowing outward through it) can freshen it up and eliminate off flavors.  I'm not convinced it does anything, but I do it anyways.
View Quote
I do too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I usually stop because by then the stick has a warm wet flavor to it that I hate.
View Quote
at that point, I hold the lighter just off of the end and blow through it. That somehow purges that wet out of it and gives you some more good smoking time.

And you do get a nice 3 - 6" flame out the front in the process.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other is your humidity in your humidor might be a little high.  I started getting much more enjoyable smokes when I dropped from 70% to 65%, and I try to keep Cubans at more like 63-64%.
I can all but guarantee you'll enjoy them more at 65%.

If you swap to 65% bovedas it'll take a few weeks for them to come down btw.  Maybe even a couple months. Just letting you know so you don't expect a big change after a couple days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I nub them, so about the width of my finger.
Unless it's not a good cigar.  Then I pitch it if it doesn't improve by the last third.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless it's not a good cigar.  Then I pitch it if it doesn't improve by the last third.
View Quote
Last third is best third.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've based my repeat purchases off which ones repeatedly make it through the last third. Not many do before I throw them.

I also blow through to purge them and I think it helps. I also trim up the foot if it gets wet looking and it helps a lot, if it needs it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I find myself usually smoking 6 Inch or so Toros as my preferred Cigar size and shape.

Am I doing something wrong?

How far do you guys smoke to??
View Quote
When my lips burn!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#15]
It depends. Sometimes they can get sulphury which I cant stand. Most of the time I nub them down. It depends on the cigar. I have some I am trying to run through that are fantastic out of the gate but I just get tired of smoking after a while as it is huge and the flavor is pretty static throughout.

I had a Partagas Presidente and I did not want it to end. I smoked it until I couldn't hold it any longer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#16]
If it is still enjoyable, until my fingers start to burn.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree, normally.

I get given a significant number of cigars, as I buy boxes of what I like.  So for example, at the last Ashton event I went to, I bought another box of Symmatry's.   I was given 8 cigars between the shop owner and the ashton rep.  A few of those I would not consider my... flavor profile.  One of them was bad enough it got pitched after the first 1/3rd...

Today's Yamasa, had just enough left for me to pinch with my finger nails. I like me some yamasas...
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I burn it down until my lips are on fire. The last 3rd is the best. Most times I use my modus cigar tool so I can smoke it down farther than holding it with my fingers will let me. Jack (birddog) over on puff.com makes them. Great guy and great product.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#19]
3 for 3 on the these. I'll be buying a bunch more.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322675/rps20190430_211647_990_jpg-930257.JPG
View Quote
What does it say? Alec Bradly V12?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322675/rps20190430_211647_990_jpg-930257.JPG
V2l.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

V2l.
View Quote
I'll keep an eye out for it.

also nice Kitteh
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I usually smoke one down enough to require removing the band, but I generally don't get too much further than that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Down till you have to remove the band?  Huh. Band is taken off before it’s cut and lit.

Really depends on the smoke. The best answer is when the flavor changes for the worse. If it never does, it’s down to burning my lips and fingers. I have been known to dip the cut end in my liquor to try and get one or two last draws without burning myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#25]
At the prices they charge, I'm looking for a hemostat to smoke the rest of the roach.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#26]
However you do it, give it a respectable death.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#27]
If its a good cigar, down to the last inch.
If its a dog rocket, about half way, then herf it.
If its really bad, the first inch, then into the trash it goes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At the prices they charge, I'm looking for a hemostat to smoke the rest of the roach.
View Quote
This. It depends on how you smoke and the cigar. I have had some cigars that I felt bad when they were half an inch and had to put it out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#29]
For me it depends on taste. I've smoked some till I almost up to I can hardly hold them. Some, after a few draws then I've got rid of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Until it's no longer enjoyable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If its a good cigar, down to the last inch.
If its a dog rocket, about half way, then herf it.
If its really bad, the first inch, then into the trash it goes.
View Quote
Pretty much how I do it
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Down to the last inch if its a good cigar.

That's also usually the point where it becomes uncomfortable for me to hold.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#33]
For when you REALLY want to nub it down!
Amazon Product
  • PERFECT DRAW ON EVERY CIGAR - use on cigars with a tight or acceptable draw to create your own ideal draw
  • USA PATENTED and international patent pending
  • WORKS ON ALL SIZE CIGARS works on large, medium and thin cigars; works whether you prefer to cut, v-cut or punch your cigar

These are amazing devices. Almost a necessity when smoking CCs, but the ability to use as a nubber it is fantastic in its own right. No more burnt fingers! Your lips on the other hand...

The glue is awesome too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#34]
When it starts to taste bad, that's when it's time to stop. That varies by cigar. Regardless, if you're not enjoying it anymore, that's when it's time to stop.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
When they fall off the roach clip.

Seriously.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top