Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/24/2021 12:21:26 PM EDT
Or, another subtopic, how many surgeries have you had?

Turning 50 later this year, and, wow, what a shitshow. I’ve had an ACDF last year to repair a herniated disc at C5/6. Looking at additional work to repair a torn hip labrum and decompress a nerve at my L5/S1 (lateral recess stenosis).

To keep things lively, my left knee is getting more painful and is popping with every flexion. I guess active duty, hiking all my life, sports is catching up.  Being 35 lb over not a friend either, but I’m working that off.

Please tell me it at least plateaus, at this rate I’ll be in the mechanic’s shop every year.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
zero
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Amateur
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
gettin' old ain't for pussies.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had 14 orthopedic surgeries since my car accident in2013
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
When I had a total hip replacement at 35.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Every day I walk into the gym with my animal 18 and 21 yr old kids.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Cowboy up young man. You're just getting started.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You got to be in the thousands of stitches and staples to be in the big league
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
working hard as mechanic takes it toll on your body, around 48 tore acl, finally squished the back moving stuff now its pretty tender all the time and hurts like a mofo most days.... had a mild heart attack around then.... but taking  statins for cholesterol and controlling high triglycerides has been the biggest problem, that shit attacks your muscles.... so yea getting old aint for pussies.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
When did I realize, when I needed 24 pills a day and lost 70 lbs for chronic pain... Pain gone now, but body won't be as good as before...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
mid-late 40's was when reality hit me.

I took up swimming laps, and that has slowed the deterioration down big time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
For
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every day I walk into the gym with my animal 18 and 21 yr old kids.
View Quote

For me it's when I'm with my animal 30-something year old hotties.
Oh, and It really started to hit me last year. I just turned 52.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Two surgeries when I was younger, plus a broken back 30 years ago.  I'm getting regular reminders from my lower back that I am no longer young and 30 years ago I was really stupid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]
when I hit 42 and came down with Crohns.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It's when they start repairing the repairs already made
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]
U know what sucks more than getting old?  Not getting older.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Did pretty good until 60. Everything hurts now doing anything physically demanding. This has affected motivation too. At 56 I was still running 3-4 miles and racing dirtbikes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
About 33

3 herniated disks in my neck, 2 in the back. Previously torn ACL and miniscus in my knee.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Losing all the extra weight works wonders.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a hip replacememt, OP.  Don't monkey around with trying to repair a torn labrum in your 50's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
A bunch, 67, more to come. Eh..., just part of the journey.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
U know what sucks more than getting old?  Not getting older.
View Quote

Amen, and I’m grateful to be alive and well, other than bone and joint issues. Still, bittersweet to realize I’m a shell of my former self lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Losing all the extra weight works wonders.

View Quote
Surgery is easier.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Surgery is easier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never broken a bone or had any surgeries other than minor things. After 40+ years in construction, I hurt everywhere.
Sometimes it hurts to sit in my easy chair. I wished I learned to code.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
43 been doing farm or construction since early teens over weight but working on it. The last few years my body has decided I am an enemy and vowed to make me suffer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I move like an old man these days. My wife was laughing at me a few days ago because of how difficult it was for me to get down on the ground to take apart some furniture. And I'm only 52.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]

2 herniated discs (L4/L5)

Had surgery to repair at 42 1/2.

Will be 44 in a couple months.  Back still hurts every day, but the sciatica is gone.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When did you realize you’re falling apart?
View Quote

Around my third spinal surgery.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Genetics blow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Started at 40 for me...seemed to taper off after I dealt with some nagging stuff.

Then got back into biking and have broken ankle, collarbone, torn AC (shoulder), bruised/cracked ribs several times.  Also now have a shoulder impingement and some tendonitis in shoulder and elbows.  Just started phys therapy to see if I can sort out my back/hamstring/hip flexor/tight calf/feet issues that have been getting progressively worse since I started riding again.

Sounds like you're in the thick of it.  It takes longer to heal/recover now, so slow down and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#32]
7 surgeries on my right knee in the last 3 1/2 years.

Have a torn meniscus in my left knee now, which is how the right started off.

Gangrenous gall bladder coming up on 5 years ago.  8 days in the hospital for that, was septic and pumped full of vanco for 3 1/2 days.  Double pneumonia while I was in there, for good measure.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Endure.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Honestly, after turning 40 I really started to decline. My mental game is strong but my physical is fucked and won't be long until they match.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]
50 was good

51 had some minor issues

52 worked on healthier diet and weight loss

53 shoulder surgery, still working weight loss and diet

Active years do catch up to you.
Still continuing to officiate HS basketball at 30-40 games a year
Gave up small college basketball officiating.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m 37 and on a mission to stop my downward trend. I have an autoimmune arthritis and was deteriorating and looking at stronger meds. The side effects of the stronger meds like Humira etc. is what finally got me off my ass to improve my lifestyle. I’ve started doing the anti-inflammatory/Mediterranean diet and reduced my alcohol intake to one glass of red wine or one glass of whiskey per night.

I was already swimming and have a fairly active job as a construction contractor.

I think the reduction in alcohol may be a bigger effect then the diet but I think they’re both helping me with how my joints and body feels.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m 46. This year has not been good.

I broke my back 20 years ago; and my neck four years ago. Having some issues with Crohn’s. Got Lyme disease last June and Covid in November. Jammed a finger really bad in December and in October fucked up my arm splitting wood. It’s still not right.

My knee is fucked up from the Army and will probably need surgery soon. Oh and I chipped a tooth.

So I’m falling apart. Amazingly, I’m actually in good shape still....not sure how that works. BMI is good and my blood pressure is great.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#38]
The day after I drove my Kawasaki into a stopped car @ 60 mph.

I was 25. Even with strong painkillers, I hurt like there was no tomorrow.

I’m over 60 now.  I still hurt like there is no tomorrow.

As for surgeries, 11. Appendectomy, hands (left thrice, right once), knees (left once, right twice), shoulder (left, once), and spine (twice).

Things that should have killed me and didn’t, 16.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Between 50 and 54 all the things I've ignored in the past caught up with me. Now on meds for stomach, high BP, four kinds of meds for a tumor in my freaking eyeball (reading what idiots write apparently does give you eye cancer), dodged the bullet for my eventual type 2 diabetes after a scare with a flawed test, gamble too much, drink too much, weak as a twig, not always too nice to people, getting forgetful sometimes, work stress is getting me down and both dogs in the family are near their end.

On the positive side, weight is good, wife still loves me, employed at a salary that would shock a creekrat 20 years younger.  Overall, I'd do a lot of things differently but I'm happy and healthy enough where I'm at.

I forgot about my reading vision and nearly all my teeth going to crap. I now have reading glasses in every vehicle, every room at home at several at the office. I can't even enjoy a meal without wearing glasses.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Endure.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Too many....6 orthopedic operations so far, I don’t count the squishy shit, like hernias & ruptured appendicitis.

I never expected to live past 50y and treated my body poorly with sports & activities. A fall down a rock face rock climbing in college & a couple cross country bike trip vs car resulted in.....damage.
I had, in no particular order: a broken back at 14, hip damage, shoulder damage, neck damage, knee damage & 6 or more concussions, one so bad I pissed myself on the football field.  There were transverse process fractures & ligaments injuries.

Now that I’m almost 60, all this abuse has caught up.  Fortunately, my job mostly requires standing, so, NBD.  My first unrecognized injury repair involving my shoulder was at age 40.  The ortho doc said “I’ve never seen this in 20 years of upper extremity work...” I’ve heard that twice since with my hip & back.

Being active & maintaining a healthy weight makes recovery easier, but it still sucks being helpless.  Just don’t say “I’m NEVER having another operation....” because Fate likes a dare.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Endure.

View Quote

Not “Endeavor, to persevere?”

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Or, another subtopic, how many surgeries have you had?

Turning 50 later this year, and, wow, what a shitshow. I’ve had an ACDF last year to repair a herniated disc at C5/6. Looking at additional work to repair a torn hip labrum and decompress a nerve at my L5/S1 (lateral recess stenosis).

To keep things lively, my left knee is getting more painful and is popping with every flexion. I guess active duty, hiking all my life, sports is catching up.  Being 35 lb over not a friend either, but I’m working that off.

Please tell me it at least plateaus, at this rate I’ll be in the mechanic’s shop every year.
View Quote

It's steady down hill, but you get used to it.  Pain that was once debilitating is now just annoying.

6 surgeries for me, unless I'm forgetting something.  All separate issues. I'll probably get my knee worked on in the spring.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Op I am with you! Everything breaks and it all hurts.

Turning 51 next week:

Fixed so far:
Tonsils and adenoids (as a kid)
Spinal surgery 4x (Army related)
Knee surgery 2x (Army related)
Abdominal surgery (Army) 1x lap + 7x open
Cancer surgery 1x Left Radical Orchidectomy
Sinus surgery 2x Turbinate co-oblation
LASIK

Dental just completed -
remove 2 molars
crown 2 molars
14 fillings.

Still needs repair:
Spinal kyphoplasty (6 vertebrae)
Torn rotator cuff repair (left side)
Hiatal hernia repair (LNF)

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be fifty in a month and a half, but I've been walking with a limp since 1987, courtesy of a motorcycle crash. My injuries kept me out of the military & have left me in pain, awake and asleep, ever since.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Modern living and medical advancements allow us to live beyond our burned in shelf life. Most that came before in our stream of ancestry were lucky to survive 40-50 Wiinters.

My advancing decrepitude first showed itself at 45. Bought my first reading cheaters then.

Your cells age/die and and are replaced throughout life. The replacements are degraded copies. Think of taking an original, crisp photograph, then make a scanned copy on a printer, then make a copy of that copy. Rinse and repeat for decades. Resolution is lost each time. Aching knees and glasses at 45, if you are fortunate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#47]
The day you realize it's going to hurt mostly all the time from this point forward.

It can be very depressing if it gets the better of you. Have to learn how to put it to the back and carry on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The day you realize it's going to hurt mostly all the time from this point forward.

It can be very depressing if it gets the better of you. Have to learn how to put it to the back and carry on.
View Quote

Damn good advise here, I would add "learn to laugh at it"
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#49]
At 69 I've got a few more aches and pains that come and go. I lift weights, jog, and eat healthy. So far so good but time eventually catches up to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Late 40's I needed reading glasses. Early 50's, unexplained joint paint and decreased flexibility. Mid 50's, bladder cancer and prostate cancer. It's seems like I have chronic pain that moves from joint to joint every few months. Back, knee, shoulder, ankle. Which one will hurt at any given time is dealers choice. At least I still have my hair.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top