BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y'all are looking at this the wrong way.

Say you want kids. You could have dual income with a stay at home parent still.

Say you don't want kids. 3 incomes. Means more vacations, more toys, more.

Sounds great to me. But I think it would be difficult to find another woman as awesome as my wife.
View Quote

You’d have to make bank. And they’d have to be twins  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
At a macro level, polygamy is very bad for society because it creates a large pool of frustrated loser men who will NEVER have a chance to reproduce, which creates the potential for enormous instability.

That CAN be managed with constant warfare - as a way of burning up the pool of single men - but that’s mostly a solution that works well in smaller tribe/clan systems Islam, and not in modern industrialized societies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It was discovered that large numbers of women living in close proximity would, over time, all menstruate at the same time.

So there is that.....
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At a macro level, polygamy is very bad for society because it creates a large pool of frustrated loser men who will NEVER have a chance to reproduce, which creates the potential for enormous instability.

That CAN be managed with constant warfare - as a way of burning up the pool of single men - but that’s mostly a solution that works well in smaller tribe/clan systems, and not in modern industrialized societies.
View Quote

See Islam and the middle east for example.

Monogamy benefits society, and gives the lower status (ie average) men a chance at reproduction.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean if you were able to, all parties consent, and are crazy about each other.

Would you?

Im not against the idea of a closed Throuple, maybe Im a degenerate; whatever.

Full disclosure, nobody is taking turns; everyone gets laid together

Entirely open relationships are kinda gross though
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was discovered that large numbers of women living in close proximity would, over time, all menstruate at the same time.

So there is that.....
View Quote

That’s a feature, not a flaw

It’s no coincidence that men go on monthly hunting/fishing trips with their buddies- women’s cycles aligning makes scheduling those trips a breeze.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll also add the 60s womens sexual revolution (birth control) was the start of our fucked up dating situation currently.

marriage is no longer the prerequisite for sexual access, as it used to be expected/shunned if not. Women dont "need" a man to provide for them, so relationships are more romantic vs. transactional (man provides. women stays at home dependent on man.)

men  are playing by the old rules.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who in the fuck would want more than two wives in their life. Then its wife^2 on the inlaw scale.  Its retardation to expose yourself to that level of poverty.  why.. Just get hookers son. Hookers were the invention that lifted us from that madness.
View Quote

I’m not dumb enough to be interested in polygamy, but I’m smart enough to point out that you can resolve the problem with in-laws if you marry sisters…
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Married to two or more women, just imagine shark week in that household.

No fucking thanks.
View Quote

Yup.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That CAN be managed with constant warfare - as a way of burning up the pool of single men - but that’s mostly a solution that works well in smaller tribe/clan systems, and not in modern industrialized societies.
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Eunuchs also used to be a thing, but they aren’t nearly as common anymore either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eunuchs also used to be a thing, but they aren’t nearly as common anymore either.

They call themselves trans women now
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, polygamy is terrible, and that a great reason why it fell out of practice in the West until the Mormons came along in the 19th Century.
View Quote

There are still mormons doing it. The incorporated/official/LDS version of mormonism does not though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#13]
It was never in vogue in the classical western world.  There's a reason why monogamy was also called Roman Marriage.  The Germanic tribes practiced it a little among the elites, but once they became Romanized and/or Christianized it went away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Women as property also used to be pretty common in polygamous societies, which helped with the whole getting nagged by multiple wives at once thing.  Being “wife” to a powerful man meant sleeping with him on occasion with little other interaction.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, Danes don't know shit when it comes to good ol' fashioned pawligmeiny.

Multiple sister, daughters, nieces 1st cousins for the MF win.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When and why?
The first time their periods synched.
View Quote

Put them on the pill to force their cycles out of sync.  

Of course, you then have a different problem.

Build a menstruation hut she shed in the backyard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll also add the 60s womens sexual revolution (birth control) was the start of our fucked up dating situation currently.

marriage is no longer the prerequisite for sexual access, as it used to be expected/shunned if not. Women dont "need" a man to provide for them, so relationships are more romantic vs. transactional (man provides. women stays at home dependent on man.)

men  are playing by the old rules.
View Quote

All that pesky freedom getting in the way of keeping second class citizens and chattel slavery.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Judea/Christian monogamy.

Used to be “be fruitful & multiply,” and Muslims used to be able to have 4 wives & contracted concubines.

Mormons?  Not sure—but i would hate the “Honey-Do list” with that…I mean, my wife x multiple wives?

View Quote

most of those polygamous relationships the man is nearly worshipped. the honey do list generally ends up divided amongst the other wives as they strive to please the male for his attention...

I am not really sure how or when it fell out of favor. Probably an abundance of domestic murder cases or something as we came in to a more modern age where agriculture and basic subsistence became much more manageable with 2 adults...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1 wife is plenty.
View Quote
Sometimes even more than you need.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Interesting take on it. Why did Rome practice monogamy?

They were usually pretty accepting of conquered religions, even adopting the gods for themselves.   Did they discourage polygamy in the conquered areas?
View Quote

I don't think the romans were particularly monogamous. They may have only took one wife but concubines of all sorts were common.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

All that pesky freedom getting in the way of keeping second class citizens and chattel slavery.
View Quote

There is some disagreement between various surveys and data sets, but the general trend is that female happiness has been declining since the 70's. Even feminists have had to grapple with this paradox. Is the sexual revolution and changes in male-female relations solely to blame for this? Almost certainly not. But the 50's and 60's feminists who envied the male ability to be promiscuous without serious social censure (boys will be boys) were, in reality, agitating for the #1 item on pretty much every horny guy's wish list: a supply of women looking for casual sex.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would think having multiple wives would be expensive.
View Quote

And dangerous..............talk about palace intrigues
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There is some disagreement between various surveys and data sets, but the general trend is that female happiness has been declining since the 70's..
View Quote

lol no shit work sucks huh...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is some disagreement between various surveys and data sets, but the general trend is that female happiness has been declining since the 70's. Even feminists have had to grapple with this paradox. Is the sexual revolution and changes in male-female relations solely to blame for this? Almost certainly not. But the 50's and 60's feminists who envied the male ability to be promiscuous without serious social censure (boys will be boys) were, in reality, agitating for the #1 item on pretty much every horny guy's wish list: a supply of women looking for casual sex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you choose freedom to chart your own destiny (even if it meant dealing with some mistakes) or the potential for slightly more happiness while being 100% under someone else’s control?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, beat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think the romans were particularly monogamous. They may have only took one wife but concubines of all sorts were common.
View Quote
Pretty much all Roman vice was based upon the existence of a slave class.  

Marriage: One wife at a time.  As many slave girls/boys as your could afford provided you didn't neglect your husbandly duties.
Homosexuality/Pederasty: Illegal between citizens.  Legal with male slaves provided again it didn't interfere with producing heirs and provided the Roman citizen did all penetrations.  
Gladiatoral Games: Slaves
Eunuchs: Slaves

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm miserable enough with one.
I'd jump off a cliff if I had to endure two or more of them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There are still mormons doing it. The incorporated/official/LDS version of mormonism does not though.
View Quote

There are protestants doing baptism by immersion. But the Catholic (universal) version of Christianity does not though.  So are protestants just unofficial Catholics?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You are looking at ancient concepts through modern eyes.  The Roman man could have his concubines, prostitutes, slave girls and boys and that was fine.

He could only have one wife, however.  At least at a time, divorce was simple.

Not even a wealthy and powerful female head of a state could qualify as a wife.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Been married for over 15 years now .

Would I want another wife? No, no I would not. But society views polygamy as taboo, as do I. If you lived in a society where it was norm/expected, then of course you/I would.

Social conditioning is a thing.
View Quote

So do guys move abroad to countries that allow polygamy? Is that a thing? And what countries would that be?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Would you choose freedom to chart your own destiny (even if it meant dealing with some mistakes) or the potential for slightly more happiness while being 100% under someone else’s control?
View Quote

Males are doing it, too. The perpetual man child phenomenon has a lot to do with with choosing easily available, immediately gratifying things over discipline. Society did not observe the principle of Chesterton's Fence (don't tear down some random fence you come across just because you don't immediately see its purpose). Humans are very complicated and unintended consequences can be generations downstream.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Guys started living past 35/40. Imagine a harem of women with menopause.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Ever been around more than one woman PMSing?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#35]
As a side note, we're seeing a rise in hypergamy. Those reverse soy boy harems are a thing now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I got lectured by a cabbie on the virtues of polygamy.  I think he was from Oman (?)…

He said having two wives was a nightmare because they were constantly trying to get him to take sides against the other.  He said having three wives was twice as expensive as having two, but worth it because they fought amongst themselves and he was less involved.

Said he brought one wife at a time for a year, while the others lived with his parents. He flew out to visit them a couple times during the year.

I said that I wasn’t sure I could afford the one I had.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Males are doing it, too. The perpetual man child phenomenon has a lot to do with with choosing easily available, immediately gratifying things over discipline. Society did not observe the principle of Chesterton's Fence (don't tear down some random fence you come across just because you don't immediately see its purpose). Humans are very complicated and unintended consequences can be generations downstream.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sidestepped the question.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why the hell would you want more than one wife ?
Shit, why even have one.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So there is that.....
View Quote

The really smart pre industrial society men realized this and created special huts for the women to go stay in during shark week.
I often joke with the wife that there should be "menses huts" stocked with wine, chocolate and cheesy romance books/tv shows for them to stay at in the modern world.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So no Einsteins or Newtons?...ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The weak and ugly bloodlines die off, the strong survive.  I see no problems with this, Jerry Springer Show and Honey Boo Boo are prime examples.

So no Einsteins or Newtons?...ok.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#41]
It'll come back.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Wife and I were folding clothes. She turned to me and said that if possible we should get a second wife to fold the laundry. I said it was cheaper to hire a maid.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As a mainstream practice that is.

Just had this as a wandering thought today as an intellectual curiosity (not that I want), and I have not idea as to the answer.
View Quote
some women got so jealous that no man would take them and their in children in that they karened out until society frown on the practice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your question made two assumptions that I don't think are valid:
1- that the happiness cost is only marginal.
2- that women were effectively chattel slaves. This may have been true at some point, but certainly wasn't in the 1950's, or even the 1850's. Strong social pressure to be a housewife or breadwinner probably frequently sucked, but the psychological costs of a freer, more hedonistic existence seem to be increasingly steep, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

2- that women were effectively chattel slaves. This may have been true at some point, but certainly wasn't in the 1950's, or even the 1850's. Strong social pressure to be a housewife or breadwinner probably frequently sucked, but the psychological costs of a freer, more hedonistic existence seem to be increasingly steep, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1- it is only marginal for some, greater for others, and nonexistent for still others. Overall happiness for an entire group is irrelevant on an individual level, especially when individuals are able to make the same choices that led to the overall previously noted happiness. But not everyone’s happy is identical, and now there is the freedom to choose something different if that lifestyle isn’t or wasn’t what someone wanted. It just comes with the freedom to make mistakes as well.
2- women were essentially chattel slaves throughout most of history (still are some places) and second class citizens for most of the rest. And one of the most important differences between then and now is the ability of people to leave bad situations. Even back just a few decades ago, beating and raping a wife was perfectly legal. There was no legal or social recourse for a woman in a bad marriage. Even if she managed to flee, she had little to no chance at custody of her children (who may also have been being beaten), nor did she have full control of her own finances. It’s not that all men were abusive, but any of them could be, and there was no legal or social way for women to leave that if they were.

The social costs may be getting steeper now, but it’s the pendulum swing from how it was, and the societal consequences weren’t as severe back then because women didn’t have the option to “go their own way”. And given that many men are ‘going their own way’ rather than even subject themselves to a potentially bad financial situation, much less outright ownership and a lack of legal or social ability to get away, it seems men don’t particularly desire to live under similar rules either. So my question still stands.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#46]
It's time for polygamy to make a comeback!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top