Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 9:49:11 PM EDT
I live in a suburb in Colorado, outside of Denver. It has been a nice, small suburban paradise for the past 25 years or so. About 5 years ago, a large influx of out of staters, mostly from California, decided to move here for whatever reason. The entire culture in this formerly small town has turned sour, crime has shot up, house prices have almost doubled, the politics have gone rather extreme, etc. I've never experienced a shift like this before, but realized it may be time to just move. I was hoping it was a temporary wave, but they keep coming and the town feels gone now that it keeps growing and growing. I'm probably venting more than seeking advice, though I'd like to find the next suburbia that will hopefully stay like that for a while. Not sure if I should move up north more where it's a bit more rural, for now or look somewhere in the south where it seems like a culture that I would enjoy more.

Anyone else have a similar experience in your life? Curious what a good long term strategy would be.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Small town or rural...only way to go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Move to California and bring your poisonous conservative views with you and turn the state red.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Randy Marsh, is that you?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Small town or rural...only way to go.
View Quote

If only it were that simple these days.  The douchebags seem to be invading everywhere, like locusts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Long term strategy?  I doubt there is one, once the urban sprawl starts it doesn’t stop.  

I grew up in Fairfax County in northern Virginia in the 80s and 90s.  My grandparents bought an old farm in the 50s when grandad went to work for the NTSB.  I grew up surrounded by old farms and a prison.  Now it’s all gone, bulldozed under for cookie cutter tract housing and McMansions.  Like you said the crime went up and the politics changed to the left, drastically.  

Guess that’s life but it still sucks.  As the saying goes if you’re not growing you’re dying.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Each town near Metro Atlanta has experienced this same thing and fallen like a domino. There is no turning the tide, in your lifetime. Your choice is deal with it or move. Then expect to move again. California and New York produce an endless supply of liberal bugmen that spread across the country and destroy heritage American hometowns wherever they find them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Parker?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Leftists are like cockroaches
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Cash out on the property value spike and buy acreage elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, my hometown. About 40 years ago a lot of out of staters started moving here, a lot from Colorado, Texas, Washington, Oregon. It really fucked things up. I hear they are starting to move back to their home states so I'm happy about that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Unlikely here, too many cows.

We have gotten a lot of NYC transplants though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of town in CO, TX, ID and MT have experienced this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, the front range is crazy. Time to go out a ways.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Leftists are like cockroaches
View Quote

More like locusts, roaches at least scatter in the light, locusts swarm in and destroy everything while you watch then leave.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

/This
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Traverse City Michigan
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Colorado has had this little chip on their shoulder since the 70's, probably even earlier. I remember when the "Native" bumper stickers were popular as if they were some kind of aristocracy. As far as I could tell, those "Natives" were always trashy folks. The point is, most large cities these days have a significant influx of humans. If you want to blame something, blame the mountains; if you didn't have those, Denver would be one of the top armpits of the USA
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  Outer edge of the burbs.  Exploded in the last 10 years.  County was solid republican since always, went all democrat in the last 2 elections.  PA is fucked.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#19]
That’s happing in many of the nice conservative small cities large towns.
 Out of towners are a virus that consume and multiply. Agent Smith had the right idea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#20]
NY and NJ came to our mountains in PA.
With it came the crowds, crime, murders, trash, drugs, rape,etc., we never had.
They ruined a beautiful place.
Crime and census data does not lie.

In 15 years they destroyed it.

I moved 1000 miles away. I wonder if it was far enough.
To this day,  if I hear that accent, I won't even talk to that person. Anyone I have come across from that far away, which thankfully is rare here is automatically someone so low to me, that in an area of 10 million criminal lowlifes, I know even they wore out their welcome among the lowest.
Thats quite an achievement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Urban sprawl.
Hope it never gets to us.
Closest hospital and Walmart over 20 miles away.
And I have relatives trying to convince us to sell out and move to the city.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Californians fucking ruin everything
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Castle Rock?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Move to California and bring your poisonous conservative views with you and turn the state red.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Been happening to north west arkansas for a couple of decades now, but has really ramped up in the last few years.

The walton's are hell bent on turning this place into a shit hole.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Californians fucking ruin everything
View Quote

Lol. I haven't ruined anything. I'm trying to get the shitbags that moved here and ruined it to leave. Same as everyone in this thread is bitching about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like Elizabeth. City people ruined it in 5-7 years. Making plans to leave in 2 1/2 years if the country is still here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
It's going to get even worse thanks to Covid.  Everyone working at home now have the option of moving to Rural America and ruining the area.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I live in a suburb in Colorado, outside of Denver. It has been a nice, small suburban paradise for the past 25 years or so. About 5 years ago, a large influx of out of staters, mostly from California, decided to move here for whatever reason. The entire culture in this formerly small town has turned sour, crime has shot up, house prices have almost doubled, the politics have gone rather extreme, etc. I've never experienced a shift like this before, but realized it may be time to just move. I was hoping it was a temporary wave, but they keep coming and the town feels gone now that it keeps growing and growing. I'm probably venting more than seeking advice, though I'd like to find the next suburbia that will hopefully stay like that for a while. Not sure if I should move up north more where it's a bit more rural, for now or look somewhere in the south where it seems like a culture that I would enjoy more.

Anyone else have a similar experience in your life? Curious what a good long term strategy would be.
View Quote

What you got ain't nothing new. This country's hard on people. You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Always carry.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Urban sprawl.
Hope it never gets to us.
Closest hospital and Walmart over 20 miles away.
And I have relatives trying to convince us to sell out and move to the city.
View Quote

I always thought urban sprawl was a good thing. Liberals love coming up with dirty words to explain the narrative. Liberals hate urban sprawl because it's the city's high quality inventory moving out, leaving the low quality inventory to rot.

I don't think OP's issue is urban sprawl.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#32]
North Carolina has experienced the same thing, we are all full.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes OP, Jackson Wyoming, New Smyna Beach Florida, the Keys, Wolf Creek Utah, Sedona Arizona, Steamboat Colorado, and Oregon coastline. I believe I hate Californians as much as you do. Yeah there are some cool, good, reasonable, not-asshole Californians, but not many (pretty much only the members of this site).
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what has happened to parker, co. Sounds like we are in the same place.  It's depressing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Parker?
View Quote
That's where I am and it sounds about right.  Really sucks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Long term strategy?  I doubt there is one, once the urban sprawl starts it doesn’t stop.  

I grew up in Fairfax County in northern Virginia in the 80s and 90s.  My grandparents bought an old farm in the 50s when grandad went to work for the NTSB.  I grew up surrounded by old farms and a prison.  Now it’s all gone, bulldozed under for cookie cutter tract housing and McMansions.  Like you said the crime went up and the politics changed to the left, drastically.  

Guess that’s life but it still sucks.  As the saying goes if you’re not growing you’re dying.
View Quote

I'm with you. My dad, in the 70s, lived in Leesburg, was nothing but farms and rural living. Went back recently and giant suburb. Populated by Peter Strock types and Indians. But hey, more tax revenue for the county, right!

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Ive watched Utah become an ever growing haven of carpet baggers slowly ruining it. Im only 29 but when I was a kid to now salt lake especially has been turned blue. Forget the Mormons they just cuck on everything to appease liberals for pr. Utah is still pretty solidly red but I think in ten years it wont be.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes.  Outer edge of the burbs.  Exploded in the last 10 years.  County was solid republican since always, went all democrat in the last 2 elections.  PA is fucked.
View Quote

I moved to South Central PA from another Democrat run state years ago when my hometown was overrun by urban, Section 8 trash, drugs, gangs and crime.

Still 80% Trump voters here. But I'm afraid of what's coming. I built a nice place here that I had hoped to spend the rest of my life on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Each town near Metro Atlanta has experienced this same thing and fallen like a domino. There is no turning the tide, in your lifetime. Your choice is deal with it or move. Then expect to move again. California and New York produce an endless supply of liberal bugmen that spread across the country and destroy heritage American hometowns wherever they find them.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top