User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I act like an adult, realize shit happens, and reschedule.
View Quote
This. The real world gets a vote in your schedules.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It was us. I had a massive migraine. We ALWAYS call. We give a 2 hour time window. 90% of the time we make it in that window. If we are going to be late, we call.

This call in question was an undercounter refrigerator that was in a bar. It is working but forming frost on the back wall. Its a design flaw and the repair is simple. I just have to disconnect a sensor.

My wife called the customer and told her "I am sorry but my tech has a migraine and asked if he can reschedule" She called the customer at 1300. Her service call was between 1400 and 1600. Customer just TEARS into my wife saying "I WAITED ALL DAY FOR YOU!!" (well first of all if we gave you a time frame from 1400 to 1600, there is no reason to "wait around all day" and we are calling you an hour ahead so you dont have to "wait around all day")

Customer got really angry and demanded someone be there today. I am a one man show so that is physically impossible. Customer ended up rescheduling and then cancelling the call altogether (Good riddance)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am impressed that they bothered to call you, reschedule.
It was us. I had a massive migraine. We ALWAYS call. We give a 2 hour time window. 90% of the time we make it in that window. If we are going to be late, we call.

This call in question was an undercounter refrigerator that was in a bar. It is working but forming frost on the back wall. Its a design flaw and the repair is simple. I just have to disconnect a sensor.

My wife called the customer and told her "I am sorry but my tech has a migraine and asked if he can reschedule" She called the customer at 1300. Her service call was between 1400 and 1600. Customer just TEARS into my wife saying "I WAITED ALL DAY FOR YOU!!" (well first of all if we gave you a time frame from 1400 to 1600, there is no reason to "wait around all day" and we are calling you an hour ahead so you dont have to "wait around all day")

Customer got really angry and demanded someone be there today. I am a one man show so that is physically impossible. Customer ended up rescheduling and then cancelling the call altogether (Good riddance)

Meh, as the saying goes " depends who's ox is being gored ".

I am one of those who gets really pissed off when someone does this. My time is just as valuable as yours. Sitting around all day, planning a schedule, making arrangements and then not having someone show up would tick me off too.

Do you...... tell your customers that you are a one man show? That if something happens you do not have the ability to send someone else?

If a customer left you a note on the door saying " oh I had to leave. Had something I needed/wanted to do. Sorry I may or may not reschedule ."

How would that go over with YOU ? After you set your day around that appointment?  Would you send them a  bill for a minimum charge for just showing up?  Most services do. The " there is a $69.00 charge for the tech to show up and then the hourly rate and parts are added to that"  kind of thing.

I think you would be pissed if the shoe was on the other foot in all honesty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m building a house.  I’d love to get a phone call, email, smoke signal, or just about anything if they aren’t going to show within a couple weeks of when they were supposed to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I did commercial/residential electrical service for a decade

I always hated bumping residential calls because there was a high chance that someone was using vacation time to wait around. (I also really hated residential calls in general but I digress)

If I indeed did need to cancel I’d toss them a freebie or two if they actually allowed rescheduling the call.

Everyone loved a free USB charging outlet installed, an LED bulb or two, or some minor thing fixed on the house for their trouble. Always got return customers  

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I am an adult and do residential service myself. Shit happens. Jobs run long, emergencies pop up, people get sick, life happens.

Have similar stories from my years in the field.

Oddly, the problem children are usually not my big clients, it is the little fishies that make the most noise.

ETA: Personal favorite are people who are too fucking dense to understand arrival windows. "I will be there between 10 and 2" does not mean "I will be there at 10 and done/gone by 2". Always nice when you show up at 1:30, find something that will take 3-4 hours to fix and 20 minutes later the homeowner is all angry at you. "Are you done yet, I have to be somewhere (30 minutes away) by 2:30. Ummmm.
I am fortunate enough that most of my clients are long timers. A lot of my service work gets scheduled and they respond with "Ok, cool, I am out of town this week, you have the garage door and alarm code. Do your thing and send me a bill. If it is going to be more then $5k, give me a heads up"

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Functional adults will choose A.
GD will choose B and C while blading at 45 before pissing on someone to assert dominance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Shit happens, giving a heads up ahead of time makes it better.

But no poll? Going with B on that issue
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Functional adults will choose A.
GD will choose B and C while blading at 45 before pissing on someone to assert dominance.
View Quote

Yeah the whole " no harm no foul attitude " is expected huh?

Well, I suppose if the shoe was on the other foot, the tech would also be expected to waive the " I showed up fee" right. As a functional adult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL... "BBB"... Toothless paper tigers.

When a customer says "I'm gonna call the BBB on you!" I tell them "Hang on, I'll get you their number"
View Quote

Can someone make a BBB complaint against you if you didn't pay to be a member of the BBB?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I run a service staff.

Shit happens.

Option A.
View Quote

IT SURE DOES.

I never judge service on the one visit from the Fuckup Fairy.  It happens.  Bitch haunts my life at work too.  I've personally cancelled appointments for migraines, sickness, and injury.  These things happen to people.  I will judge on what happens after that.  Good service will own it and push harder for a successful outcome.  Bad service will make their problem my problem, and the problems will be legion.

And then there's the issue of dealing with the call center or secretary... It aint their fault.  Taking a case of the ass at them over it is churlish and incredibly counterproductive.  I have gotten so much further in life being nice to the people on the other end of the phone.

For a one man shop, there's every chance that the "secretary" is the tech's wife.  People don't generally do their best work for you after you insult and antagonize their wife.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I act like an adult, realize shit happens, and reschedule.
View Quote

This is correct.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

IT SURE DOES.

I never judge service on the one visit from the Fuckup Fairy.  It happens.  Bitch haunts my life at work too.  I've personally cancelled appointments for migraines, sickness, and injury.  These things happen to people.  I will judge on what happens after that.  Good service will own it and push harder for a successful outcome.  Bad service will make their problem my problem, and the problems will be legion.

And then there's the issue of dealing with the call center or secretary... It aint their fault.  Taking a case of the ass at them over it is churlish and incredibly counterproductive.  I have gotten so much further in life being nice to the people on the other end of the phone.

For a one man shop, there's every chance that the "secretary" is the tech's wife.  People don't generally do their best work for you after you insult and antagonize their wife.  
View Quote

I'm on the opposite spectrum.  I supervise a crew of techs for a very large apartment community.  The gambit of shit we go through from some of our residents is mind boggling. It was worse when I worked in sec 8 housing.
I've come to the conclusion that no matter your " status " some people are just assholes. Lol.
This covid mess has been a train wreck on appliances and parts and it's caused some headaches on my end for sure.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You are waiting for your service company to come out. Non emergency call. (Not a gas or water leak, Not a "No Refrigeration" issue) You get a phone call from their office about an hour before your time of service and the technician now has to reschedule for health reasons. They apologize,  Unforeseen circumstances, Doesn't feel well. Do you

A: Understand and reschedule?
B: Get pissed and berate the office staff?
C: Other
View Quote

Combination of those.

"Get pissed", but "Understand" so I "reschedule" without trying to "berate" anyone. Things happen. [shrug]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Same here. No matter what, I can show proof that the parts are on back order and it doesn't matter to the customer. "There has got to be one of these SOMEWHERE in the country that you can find. You are just not looking hard enough"

Here in Southern California, you can drive to the ocean and see over 110 cargo ships just bobbing out there waiting to be unloaded. There are over 130 more on their way. Friend of mine is a longshoreman and he said they are so backed up right now. At that time there were over 800 of those guys out sick due to C19. Manufacturers were on skeleton crews so product is not moving as fast as it should.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IT SURE DOES.

I'm on the opposite spectrum.  I supervise a crew of techs for a very large apartment community.  The gambit of shit we go through from some of our residents is mind boggling. It was worse when I worked in sec 8 housing.
I've come to the conclusion that no matter your " status " some people are just assholes. Lol.
This covid mess has been a train wreck on appliances and parts and it's caused some headaches on my end for sure.
Same here. No matter what, I can show proof that the parts are on back order and it doesn't matter to the customer. "There has got to be one of these SOMEWHERE in the country that you can find. You are just not looking hard enough"

Here in Southern California, you can drive to the ocean and see over 110 cargo ships just bobbing out there waiting to be unloaded. There are over 130 more on their way. Friend of mine is a longshoreman and he said they are so backed up right now. At that time there were over 800 of those guys out sick due to C19. Manufacturers were on skeleton crews so product is not moving as fast as it should.

The supply chain stuff is really starting to aggravate my clients.
Most of them are very wealthy and very used to getting what they want, when they want it.

I keep having to tell people that this problem isn't one that can be solved by shoveling money at it. This does not compute for many of them

The painful part is even with the lead times, suppliers are liars. I have ~$20k worth of gear sitting here waiting on 11 fairly inexpensive items.
I was told 6 weeks ago they would be here in 3 weeks (normally get them 3-4 days) and so I gave the client a tentative start time.
Then they told me 3 more weeks.

Now I am being told 3 more weeks. Client has a mad, other projects are getting logjammed and there ain't a damn thing I can do about it.

If they would have told me 9-12 weeks, I would have scheduled accordingly.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top