Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2019 11:48:10 PM EDT
Comparable to incandescent bulbs, wattage wise.

I have double sinks, mirror in front of each, four bulbs over each (total 8). Replaced with 60w equiv soft white Creed bulbs... Holy shit, it’s like shopping in Target, god forbid you look at the fixture. Thinking about taking them back and getting 40w equiv.

Funny enough, I have the same brand outside and they don’t seem skull fuck you white... I get it’s an enclosed space w/ mirrors, but  jeez. Even the 80w equiv ones in my can lights don’t seem as bright. I can see stuff on my face I never knew existed.

A few women complained that the vanities were too dim to do their make up... Yeah, well it’s like a fricken hair salon now.

I couldn’t begin to grasp what bright white or heavens forbid “daylight” would look like. I think shorter bulbs would help also. Almost tempted to put a dimmer in.

These are rated 2700k, 815 lumens. My bathroom is matte tan, somewhat dark stone tiles.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Reads OP

Thinks to self "WTF"

Looks to Forum title to make sure he didn't jump over to "general Contracting or some shit"

Nope. Sure enough its GD
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Comparable to incandescent bulbs, wattage wise.

I have double sinks, mirror in front of each, four bulbs over each (total 8). Replaced with 60w equiv soft white Creed bulbs... Holy shit, it’s like shopping in Target, god forbid you look at the fixture. Thinking about taking them back and getting 40w equiv.

Funny enough, I have the same brand outside and they don’t seem skull fuck you white... I get it’s an enclosed space w/ mirrors, but  jeez. Even the 80w equiv ones in my can lights don’t seem as bright. I can see stuff on my face I never knew existed.

A few women complained that the vanities were too dim to do their make up... Yeah, well it’s like a fricken hair salon now.

I couldn’t begin to grasp what bright white or heavens forbid “daylight” would look like. I think shorter bulbs would help also. Almost tempted to put a dimmer in.

These are rated 2700k, 815 lumens. My bathroom is matte tan, somewhat dark stone tiles.
View Quote
I have a similar setup, only with 2 additional can lights in the ceiling. I find those 2 running 100 watt equivalent LED's to be the most I can tolerate early in the morning. With 8 bulbs on a single switch your going to want the lowest possible led equivalent in a very soft temperature.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want warm light then you want 2700 or 3000k LED bulbs.  450 lumen(40watt) will be dimmer but ok. 800 lumen (60-75? watt) will be nice and bright but not too bright, imo.  If it feels like Target you might be using 5000k daylight bulbs, i.e. too "white/bluish".

I will say my favorite bulb color is 3500-4000 range, because it's a nice white, not harsh and not warm, just white.  Not necessarily for bathroom but I wish I had them for general lighting.  Lowe's knows we want them so they don't keep them in stock  Also, I'm drunk.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want warm light then you want 2700 or 3000k LED bulbs.  450 lumen(40watt) will be dimmer but ok. 800 lumen (60-75? watt) will be nice and bright but not too bright, imo.  If it feels like Target you might be using 5000k daylight bulbs, i.e. too "white/bluish".

I will say my favorite bulb color is 3500-4000 range, because it's a nice white, not harsh and not warm, just white.  Not necessarily for bathroom but I wish I had them for general lighting.  Lowe's knows we want them so they don't keep them in stock  Also, I'm drunk.
View Quote
Try Home Depot. Lowes sucks, around here anyways.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
My apartment had the clear large round bulbs, (40 watt I believe) above the bathroom sink, and I began replacing them with CFL twisty bulbs that were 60 watt equivalent.  They were fine, though ugly, so I got some round LED bulbs from Walmart.  I like the bright "daylight" 4-6000K light so I grabbed 4 100 watt equivalent.

It was like having 4 small suns in my tiny bathroom.

I couldn't even look up at them, so back to the store I went and now have 60 watt equivalent bulbs and they're just fine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]

4ft shop light

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Some of you guys are straight up nerds about the weirdest things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't know about you, but having my bathroom have the same lighting as Initech or Pentatrode at 6AM, a full 2 hours before I even think about being in the office sounds terrible.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#9]
We have six 8.4 watt dimmable Cree bulbs (4000K) in our vanity along with a dimmer switch.

Wife gets bright light for makeup and I get nice subdued lighting that doesn't blind me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Try Home Depot. Lowes sucks, around here anyways.
View Quote
Got them at HD, Lowe’s doesn’t carry Cree (or didn’t used to.) I’m gonna step down to 40’s.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't know about you, but having my bathroom have the same lighting as Initech or Pentatrode at 6AM, a full 2 hours before I even think about being in the office sounds terrible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No kidding! Even worse at night and then you leave the house.

Still surprised at the level of brightness compared to the 5 80w in my kitchen... But, I suppose different angle, bigger area, less stuff to reflect off, and less degree of light spread.

I’d honestly unscrew 4 of them, but that would look pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Still surprised at the level of brightness compared to the 5 80w in my kitchen... But, I suppose different angle, bigger area, less stuff to reflect off, and less degree of light spread.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bathroom mirrors make it significantly worse. Just get the lowest watt and K bulbs you can find and that should do the trick.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]
50w halogens on an electronic dimmer.  People don't think CRI be like it is, but it do.

I have LEDs a lot of places around the house, but not over the vanity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#14]
LEDs and dimmer switch. Put new vanity fixtures in this year and changed the switch to the one with the little side adjustable brightness. Totally worth whatever the switch costs and wife loves it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:15:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LEDs and dimmer switch. Put new vanity fixtures in this year and changed the switch to the one with the little side adjustable brightness. Totally worth whatever the switch costs and wife loves it.
View Quote
Careful with dimmers with LED bulbs. Many combos will make a horrible annoying sound that apparently everyone in the world can hear but my wife. She thinks I have been hunting down switches for no reason at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Put in a dimmer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#17]
1 million candle power
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
220, 221 whatever it takes
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
1 million candle power
View Quote
8 of these should do the trick.

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Careful with dimmers with LED bulbs. Many combos will make a horrible annoying sound that apparently everyone in the world can hear but my wife. She thinks I have been hunting down switches for no reason at all.
View Quote
Cree’s don’t seem to have that problem. I’m using their can replacements with non LED dimmers (circa 2008), no annoying sound, although you cannot get them to dim all the way down, only to about 25- 50%.

I really don’t want to install a dimmer... The panel has four switches and I don’t even want to deal with that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I went with the dimmer.  This way at night, before bed, they're low. When we need more in the morning, just crank them up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the same setup in my master bathroom.
I haven't switched to LED's in that room yet, but I currently have eight 40W globes four of which (every other one) I have unscrewed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
50w halogens on an electronic dimmer.  People don't think CRI be like it is, but it do.

I have LEDs a lot of places around the house, but not over the vanity.
View Quote
CRI is way more important than how bright the damn things are, especially for detail work.

Its tough to find high CRI LEDs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went with the dimmer.  This way at night, before bed, they're low. When we need more in the morning, just crank them up.
View Quote
^This, I have a dimmer that you can preset, one tap on top low lighting so you don't blind yourself getting up at night and two taps to full on, on tap on bottom slowly dims to off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top