Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2022 12:34:23 AM EDT
As you can tell by my post, I'm not a drinker.

Let's say I hope in a Time Machine and go back to this date in 1776.  The men there welcome someone from the future and take me to the Tavern and offer me an "Ale."  What would I be drinking?  Was it beer?  Is there any beer now that we know is very similar to it?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it was beer.  English style ale from a cask.  Served cellar temp more than likely.  

Think of an English ESB or a brown ale.  To my understanding, they are good representations of the majority of brews back then.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard somewhere they drank a lot of hard cider and little water.  Johnny Appleseed and all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heard somewhere they drank a lot of hard cider and little water.  Johnny Appleseed and all.
View Quote
And hundred of orchards attributable to Johnny (mostly crab apples) were destroyed during prohibition, sad.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/real-johnny-appleseed-brought-applesand-booze-american-frontier-180953263/
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct. They planted apple trees so colonialists would have a source of fermentable sugar. They would press it and make cider. Then make it alcoholic with yeast.

Then the cool part, freeze jacking. Basically leave the open barrel out on a cold night, and in the morning scrape the ice (water) off the top. The alcohol didn’t freeze but the way did. Do this a few cycles and you are effectively distilling it into liquor.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I was surprised to read something about rum being more popular than whiskey back then.  3.7 gallons per man per year according to mountvernon.org.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was surprised to read something about rum being more popular than whiskey back then.  3.7 gallons per man per year according to mountvernon.org.
View Quote

Rum at the time was mostly made with moleasses from the Caribbean, and was much more common. Took increasing the tax on its import to start the War.

Also Kentucky was wild territory at the time, took a while to get there
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Colonial ale was probably porter.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, it was beer.  English style ale from a cask.  Served cellar temp more than likely.  

Think of an English ESB or a brown ale.  To my understanding, they are good representations of the majority of brews back then.
View Quote
An authentic ESB is such a nice beer, such an underrated style.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Ale and Lager are types of beer.

The major differences are yeast type and fermentation temperature
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top