Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2021 11:33:40 PM EDT
If you got to shop for someone else and buy them a cheaper vehicle to your liking what would you get them?

This thread is for the fun of spending other people's money! I'm not posting to start a brand war or anything.

Not too long ago I went out wheeling with a few FJ/Jeep friends. Some tag-alongs from a ham radio group who heard about our adventures and wanted to come check it out and we let them swap passenger seats so they could learn about the vehicles.

A lady from S. Africa rode shotgun with me on a few semi-scary obstacles and she was HOOKED—audibly screaming and having a great time. She doesn't know a thing about vehicles at all but she wants to get into it and learn. She wanted an FJ until she saw what they are going for now used and old.

So I have been casually perusing marketplace and CL looking for interesting and less expensive vehicles for a reasonable price. All usual go-to stuff is off the table. Any Jeep under 10k is outside her skill level to maintain. FJs, 4Runners, and Land Cruisers are all well above $10K and some still need a ton of mods.

For fun, what vehicle would you recommend? Posting real ads is encouraged.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
4Runner or Wrangler.

But prices everywhere are inflated right now.

An older glass rubbed CJ or a TJ can be had under $10k.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4Runner or Wrangler.

View Quote

Those are great options, but as you say, they are expensive. This lady isn't quite ready for a sub $10k jeep. She would need a lot of instructions on how to turn a wrench... I assume she'd use it as a daily driver as well.  

Side note: I'm not putting much emotional investment into her purchase. It's just for fun and I thought it would make a good thread.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those are great options, but as you say, they are expensive. This lady isn't quite ready for a sub $10k jeep. She would need a lot of instructions on how to turn a wrench... I assume she'd use it as a daily driver as well.  

Side note: I'm not putting much emotional investment into her purchase. It's just for fun and I thought it would make a good thread.
View Quote

Geo tracker! There is an Arfcommer who has turned one into a capable rig.

That out of the way, an early 90's XJ Sport with the 4.0 is a solid starter platform.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeep or Toyota
If it’s going to be your primary daily driver or if off road style is more over landing or a high speed pre-runner type stuff  I recommend Toyota.
If it’s going to be a fun 2nd vehicle or if more rock crawling I typically recommend a jeep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Geo tracker! There is an Arfcommer who has turned one into a capable rig.

That out of the way, an early 90's XJ Sport with the 4.0 is a solid starter platform.
View Quote

Geo tracker was my first thought.

Jeep xj or zj and even wj are all perfectly capable off-road and reasonably cheap.

Isuzu amigos were cool 4wd too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, 3rd Gen 4Runners are way cheaper than I thought. I just saw a decent one on 33s and a lift that was $7k. That seems lower than it should be.

I actually like the geo tracker suggestion. I was suggesting the Isuzu Vehicross to her because it's weird and awesome and decently cheap. That or an Xterra.

But yeah, a 3rd Gen is pretty solid.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow, 3rd Gen 4Runners are way cheaper than I thought. I just saw a decent one on 33s and a lift that was $7k. That seems lower than it should be.

I actually like the geo tracker suggestion. I was suggesting the Isuzu Vehicross to her because it's weird and awesome and decently cheap. That or an Xterra.

View Quote

3rd gen are great but known for ball joint separating. Don’t go cheap with aftermarket replacements.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick, or Suzuki Vitara if they want something a little newer.   I have logged many off road miles in one of those (have owned several over the years).   They are by many many miles the best bang for the buck for off roading.    I lifted mine with some $30 spacers, dropped some good knobby LT mud tires on them, and off the road I go.  

Jeeps are stupid expensive for what they are and ride like crap.  4runners are good (I have a 5th gen I drive these days, love it), but lots more money and much heavier than the Trackers, which makes them less capable off road.  Isuzus and such are fairly rare and will be a bitch to find parts for.  Samurais are cool if you twist your own wrenches, but kind of junky and need lots of wrenching and ride worse than a Jeep.  

Nope, Suzuki products is where it's at.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 1:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

3rd gen are great but known for ball joint separating. Don’t go cheap with aftermarket replacements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you referring to the ball joint on the lower control arm? I think mine are the same part. I'll keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
A Mitsubishi Montero may be a good vehicle to look at.

Autotrader link
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you referring to the ball joint on the lower control arm? I think mine are the same part. I'll keep an eye on it.
View Quote

Lower control arm ball joints
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/149467-official-lower-ball-joint-write-up-thread.html

Happened to my friend 2x. But he is extremely hard on vehicles.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4Runner or Wrangler.

Everybody starts somewhere. Maybe a short wide older dodge D150 or a toyota? If your going to learn you just have to get into it and start doing. My first was a Jeep CJ7 With homemade lift shackles and blocks to bring the drive line back into geometry. It was cheap but it cost in u-joints until I got it right. I really don't think it's fair to set a limit. She's going to evolve as time goes by with todays kits it's really hard not to step up. The TJ or YJ would be her best bet if she can find a sound machine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Suzuki Samuari's are popular for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Op, you just missed it.  I had a 2000 jeep Wrangler TJ with a 4.0/5sp and 90k miles on it.  It was on a rebuilt title from a front end wreck 15 yr ago.  I was looking to sell it and would have taken $8500.  Ended up trading straigt up for a toyota a couple weeks back.

That jeep was mechanically sound.  It was lifted a little bit and had big muddin tires.  The value wasnt as high as other jeeps just cause of the rebuilt title.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Suzuki Samuari's are popular for a reason.
View Quote

But they are getting harder to find. They actually fill the niche the old willy's filled quite well. But now they are getting into the price range of a used buggy and trailer. The Mahindra Roxxor is above her set cost but with a really good payment plan plus warranty.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 4:08:46 AM EDT
[#16]
TAG
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
2005 Mazda B4000 4x4
Sturdy Ford 4.0L V-6                              

2008: Accident reported: minor damage with another motor vehicle
Damage to right front
Damage to right rear
Damage to right side

Asking $6,999
Add $3,000 in suspension upgrades, lights, winch.

Dogs optional.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2005 Mazda B4000 4x4
Sturdy Ford 4.0L V-6                              

Damage to right front
Damage to right rear
Damage to right side

Asking $6,999

Dogs optional.

https://carfax-img.vast.com/carfax/-3519128490323931499/4/344x258

View Quote

Add another thousand and you have this.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Xterras are very reliable (after Nissan fixed the SMOD issue) and can be had for well under $10k.  I wouldn't recommend one for someone wanting to mod it a bunch (hard and expensive to lift more than 2"), but a stock Xterra can hold its own on moderate trails. The Pro4x has a rear locker, lower gears, and Bilstein shocks.  For under $10k, you will be able to buy a much nicer condition Xterra than a 4runner at a comparable cost.

If you want something to mod into a trail weapon, get an XJ- but it may not be the most reliable option.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
An XJ with a factory 8.25 rear and HP 30. Mild lift, trimming and lockers with a re-gear will run 35s very reliably. Should be right around 10-12 all in. I would stiffen up the frame before any serious wheeling.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#21]
10k?  Used SxS.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I drive a 3rd gen 4Runner 4 wheel drive 3.4 Hino engine. I love it, never breaks down. Two different 4 wheel drive modes. Pussy limited slip and real deal 4 wheel drive modes.
1986 1/2 suzuki samuai wood be my choice. The Shiznit. Mini bronco basically.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#23]
XJ and have money left over for maintenance
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#24]
You can come to Kansas and buy my 04 wrangler 5 speed for $10k right now. Good shape. 4” lift, 33” tires. I was getting ready to put it up for sale as I have too many vehicles. Clean title, no wrecks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#25]
you know my answer

and have money left over for gas and a trailer....

CTMadModz Youtube Channel

- Clint
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you got to shop for someone else and buy them a cheaper vehicle to your liking what would you get them?

This thread is for the fun of spending other people's money! I'm not posting to start a brand war or anything.

Not too long ago I went out wheeling with a few FJ/Jeep friends. Some tag-alongs from a ham radio group who heard about our adventures and wanted to come check it out and we let them swap passenger seats so they could learn about the vehicles.

A lady from S. Africa rode shotgun with me on a few semi-scary obstacles and she was HOOKED—audibly screaming and having a great time. She doesn't know a thing about vehicles at all but she wants to get into it and learn. She wanted an FJ until she saw what they are going for now used and old.

So I have been casually perusing marketplace and CL looking for interesting and less expensive vehicles for a reasonable price. All usual go-to stuff is off the table. Any Jeep under 10k is outside her skill level to maintain. FJs, 4Runners, and Land Cruisers are all well above $10K and some still need a ton of mods.

For fun, what vehicle would you recommend? Posting real ads is encouraged.
View Quote

Used rock crawler.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
An XJ with a factory 8.25 rear and HP 30. Mild lift, trimming and lockers with a re-gear will run 35s very reliably. Should be right around 10-12 all in. I would stiffen up the frame before any serious wheeling.
View Quote

Fuck no. The high pinion 30 won’t like 35s and you’ll spend so much money buying upgrades for literally the smallest off road if axle you’d be better off paying for an axle swap. I say this as someone with a Dana 35 and a high pinion 30.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Son in law has a samurai but he's done a lot of work on it.  I think he has a whole new drive train, axles, lockers, full welded external roll cage, he's re-geared it and put o/s tires and rims on it.

I guess now he gets to put a new motor in it, blew his last week.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
We had an 00 explorer and it was actually a pretty rugged ride. Parts were a dime a dozen, and had an 8.8. Fit 31s in stock form.

Not saying it was perfect by any means, but I would consider one for a trail rig/ weekend toy. It was actually pretty fun to drive in the snow.

Mine was kind of a beater, but it was mechanically sound. The ford 4.0 is a pretty tough engine.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a Toyota guy, but I picked up my 03 TJ Wrangler for $9,500. I came with a teraflex lift, 33" tires, ARB air lockers, regarded, alloy axles shafts, winch, hard top, teraflex rock sway bar, bumpers, sliders, etc. It's 100 percent ready to off road. On has 96k mikes on it. Only think I would change it that's it's a 2.4L 4 cyl and the rear D35 axle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/C67iQnB.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2005 Mazda B4000 4x4
Sturdy Ford 4.0L V-6                              

Damage to right front
Damage to right rear
Damage to right side

Asking $6,999

Dogs optional.

https://carfax-img.vast.com/carfax/-3519128490323931499/4/344x258

https://i.imgur.com/C67iQnB.jpg

Looks good!

I miss my '94 SC. Totaled in a freeway crash... rear-ended by a Nissan Maxima and pushed through the back of a Dodge Caravan. Engine and trans broke out from the frame.... the only body panel that didn't have a dent was the roof. That day sucked hardcore. Nice check at the end of it all tho.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#32]
3rd gen 4runner Limited, can be had for 4-8k from out here in rust free CA. Will come with the elocker and 456s. You will not need to regear it for 33s. A 1.5" lift kit will run about 1200 installed (tundra struts and ome springs) that will let you clear the tires without any issues.
The lower ball joints are only an issue in high mileage units, or cheap aftermarket lbj. Use Toyota lbj, and grease them once in a while.
Don't be scared of high mileage ones either, the motor is cheap to rebuild, and the trans is very bulletproof.
Hit me up if you want me to look any of these over for ya.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/JT3GN86R920253989/2002-toyota-4runner/

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Toyota-4Runner-Fresno-d290_L2727#listing=319323099/NONE
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd say an XJ in that price range.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#34]
$10,000 might get you a complete beater.

Which will cost you another $10,000 in the first year of ownership.

Maybe within the first 10 minutes if you actually try to do any serious off-roading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top