Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2022 8:38:22 AM EDT
I want to make this for my baby, that’s due in August, nursery.

I have a cabinet saw, router table, chop saws, circle saws, planer. All the “basic” wood working stuff that I don’t know how to use

I can rough the shape out but I’m thinking a scroll saw for the mountain top part? Would that make it hard to get straight line cuts?

Thanks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hand saw (crosscut)
Jig saw
Band saw

Any of those will work well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hand saw (crosscut)
Jig saw
Band saw

View Quote

What about cutting the white area (snow cap)? You can see it’s cut separate from the rest in one solid cut with right angles and reattached?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Coping saw?
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a single board they demarked between the light and dark with a tool.

A cross cut hand saw.
A drill if you want to predrill your holes for the hook screws but could get away with just screwing them in assuming they’re not the soft grade of chinese screws that have the hardness of peanut butter.

That demarcation line could be done carefully with a utility knife with a new blade and a straight edge. Two cuts to cut a shallow V groove.  Paint the groove as they did.   A small router with a V or U groove run along a straight edge would be the easiest way though.

Edit, the demarcation line may be a simple line drawn with a wood burning tool.

That project is a simple one.

They may have used a coping saw to part the two board colors before staining then rejoined them but it isn’t necessary, masking tape and being careful with a gel stain on the lower part.  Remove tape then seal the whole shebang with poly.

If they actually did cut the parts apart before staining they probably used a scroll saw. and a thin saw blade to make those middle interior cuts.  A half inch band saw blade wouldn’t make that sharp turn but one could band saw in then switch to a hand coping saw.

There are often dozens of ways to do wood working tasks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Shit I found a video. They used a wood burner to make the grooves. Interesting.

As mentioned above. You dudes are always on point.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That is a single board they demarked between the light and dark with a tool.

A cross cut hand saw.
A drill if you want to predrill your holes for the hook screws but could get away with just screwing them in assuming they’re not the soft grade of chinese screws that have the hardness of peanut butter.

That demarcation line could be done carefully with a utility knife with a new blade and a straight edge. Two cuts to cut a shallow V groove.  Paint the groove as they did.   A small router with a V or U groove run along a straight edge would be the easiest way though.

Edit, the demarcation line may be a simple line drawn with a wood burning tool.

That project is a simple one.

They may have used a coping saw to part the two board colors before staining then rejoined them but it isn’t necessary, masking tape and being careful with a gel stain on the lower part.  Remove tape then seal the whole shebang with poly.

If they actually did cut the parts apart before staining they probably used a scroll saw. and a thin saw blade to make those middle interior cuts.  A half inch band saw blade wouldn’t make that sharp turn but one could band saw in then switch to a hand coping saw.

There are often dozens of ways to do wood working tasks.
View Quote

Bang. You got it dude.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer the original question, how to make that from 2 separate pieces, i would use a band saw.  Cut the first side and get all the edges and corners how you want them.  Then put the mating edge on top of the second piece of stock and trace it.  Cut it out with the bandsaw.  Then when they both fit together, cut the 2 vertical outside edges so they match up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cut the shape in the lower piece on a band saw.  The edges do not need to be perfectly straight, it's a mountain range.

Lay that shape on top of the light colored wood.  Trace the shape, then cut out the upper pieces.  Stay just outside the lines, then tweak the fit with a file or sanding blocks.

It'll look great.

Hmmm.  I should have read through the thread.
View Quote

I like this idea. I like the 2 separate looking pieces
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hand saw (crosscut)
Jig saw
Band saw

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#11]
you could probably mask off the top and then stain the bottom,  let it dry then poly over both?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top