Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2020 4:51:06 PM EDT
I got certified 30 years ago and my wife a few years later.

In 1995 we bought all new equipment including US Divers BCs, regulators and Matrix computers.

Back then you could check two bags each so it was feasible to take all that with you.

We dove quite a bit around the Caribbean for 10 years till our daughter came along and it has just been sitting since then.

Our daughter (she is 15 now) got certified recently and we used our old gear to do some refresher dives at the same time.

We took good care of our equipment and it looks great and everything worked fine till my wife blew an o ring on the hose to the pressure gauge.

The thing is I don't foresee us ever using it again.

We are not into fresh water diving and will be flying anywhere we go and now it would cost so much to check all that gear so we plan to just rent everything in future trips (which will not be very frequent).

All the regs need to be rebuilt and I don't want to do it myself and it costs a lot to have it done around here.

So.... What to do with it? Sell on Ebay? Craigslist locally? Is it even worth anything at this point?

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It sucks but sell it locally at a bargain price. Just about every week I see SCUBA packages on FB market for $100-150. Lord knows the costed 10x that amount new.

All I have left my my gear which was top of the line in 2006 is my dry suit. Sold everything else dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sucks but sell it locally at a bargain price. Just about every week I see SCUBA packages on FB market for $100-150. Lord knows the costed 10x that amount new.

All I have left my my gear which was top of the line in 2006 is my dry suit. Sold everything else dirt cheap.
View Quote

Yep, found the receipt for all the gear in 1995 and it was right at $1500

Don't expect to get much of anything for it but don't see any point in having it take up space.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold all mine, two regulators, two BCs for $100

Still have my Motomarine II in the pelican box :(
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the issue, so I replaced the battery on my dive computer and sold that and gave my regulators and BCD away for just the cost of the shipping on the scuba dive forums.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it’s not worth much. May list them locally to avoid all the shipping hassle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I am in the same boat. Have some really nice equipment but had to give up diving 3 years ago. There are two scuba shops around here and they want nothing to do with used equipment except service it. From observation, it seems that about 20 cents on the dollar is the best you can hope for. The wife and I will be lucky to get that for ours around here.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The scuba market is the worst I've ever seen for products losing value. I bought the lion's share of my equipment used or when I was a divemaster and paid about half of retail.   Some old regs and SPGs still draw a fair price, but not many.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The only thing of value would be the regulator.  I am guessing some model of the USD Conshelf.
Keep in mind there are a lot of them out there.  But they are also very serviceable.  The plastic bodied 2nd stages of that period are notorious for developing stress cracks.  If so, you are stuck with a fine 1st stage.

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am in the same boat. Have some really nice equipment but had to give up diving 3 years ago. There are two scuba shops around here and they want nothing to do with used equipment except service it. From observation, it seems that about 20 cents on the dollar is the best you can hope for. The wife and I will be lucky to get that for ours around here.
View Quote

Most dive shops don’t get involved with selling used equipment at all. I don’t know what you have, but the scuba sale groups on FB are a good place to sell. But again, it depends on what you have.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top