Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2018 2:30:26 PM EDT
47 years old, no debt. Tax deferred retirement account from work is already maxed out at $18,500.00 per year.  Only have about $1,000.00 emergency cash and $5,000.00 bank savings.

Getting a check for about $30,000 soon. Planning to put $5,000 into basic savings. What to do with the other $25K that will not complicate my future tax returns, is safe and makes better returns than savings?

a friend recommended a money market account but it only pays 0.4% APR.

I can get a 18-Month CD that pays 2.0% APR at my existing credit union.

I can do an online savings account that pays 1.9% and has a $200 signing bonus.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, what is the $30k check from? Is it earned income?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
$5,500 to Roth today, $6,000 to Roth Jan 1.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, what is the $30k check from? Is it earned income?
View Quote
inheritance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're not going to like this answer, and it's boring:  put in in the CD and/or add it to your "emergency fund" and general bank account; $1,000/$5,000 isn't much (IMO).
View Quote
Any reason not to do one of the online savings accounts?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can I do a Roth IRA even though I'm already maxed out ($18,500.00 anually) in my tax deferred plan through work?

ETA: I had a roth IRA through a wells fargo branch that never made any real money and was cashed out in the divorce. So i guess i would want something online that i could invest in stocks with low or no annual fee if i were to go the Roth IRA route again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]
yes
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
machine gun
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Roth requiements are dependent on your AGI not your employer sponsored plans. Do a quick google as I would but I’m on my phone.

Is your Agi less than $120k?

If so I would:
1) Pump up your emergency fund to be 3 months of salary or 6 months of expenses.

2) tab the rest off to Roth IRA 2018 and 2018. Just as Jaqu said.

Suspect you can do both based on your numbers.
Then I’d purchase inside the Roth something like VFINX or similar. Some guys like a total market fund instead.

Different topic:
Also does your company offer Roth-401K instead of current offering?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Roth requiements are dependent on your AGI not your employer sponsored plans. Do a quick google as I would but I’m on my phone.

Is your Agi less than $106k?
View Quote
I don't know. 2017 AGI was $98,7XX

I've had a pay raise of about 3% since then and worked some overtime, but nothing crazy. Total wages should be over $120K but taxable should be closer to $100K.

Estimated gross for 2018 is $132,798
Estimated taxable gross is $88,993
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry I wasn’t clear, $120k is when a Roth cap kicks in. Meaning, if you’re less than $120k you can fully contribute. More then $120k it steps down then at $135k you can contribute zero!

Sounds like you’re good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Different topic:
Also does your company offer Roth-401K instead of current offering?
View Quote
Yes. But they only allow $18,500 total combined either pre-tax or roth.

I've always went with the pre tax dollars option in order to lower my taxable income now. ill be making less money in retirement due to the ex wife getting half the my pension.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy 25k worth of a leveraged FAANG ETF at the opening bell tomorrow.  You'll have $50k next year.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
47 years old, no debt. Tax deferred retirement account from work is already maxed out at $18,500.00 per year.  Only have about $1,000.00 emergency cash and $5,000.00 bank savings.
View Quote
and you say your AGI was near $100k??? Hookers n blow or???  Somethings not adding up here...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
and you say your AGI was near $100k??? Hookers n blow or???  Somethings not adding up here...
View Quote
This isn’t general discussion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes. But they only allow $18,500 total combined either pre-tax or roth.

I've always went with the pre tax dollars option in order to lower my taxable income now. ill be making less money in retirement due to the ex wife getting half the my pension.
View Quote
If you know that retirement withdrawals will be at a lower tax rate than your current rate, invest in a traditional IRA instead of a Roth. You can max both your employer fund and an IRA.

I would set up an account at Vanguard and buy index funds/ETFs like VTSAX and VTI.  Those two funds track the US stock market and have every low overhead cost. If the market is up, they will be up, same thing if it's down. Historically the market has very good returns as long as your time horizon is longer than a few years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a good start.    Open up a brokerage acct. and split it up into ~8 or 10 different dividend aristocrat stocks.   Fund those Roth IRAs
Put the rest into a regular IRA if you can.

TD ameritrade is offering $100 plus 500 free trades for a new account.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is a good start.    Open up a brokerage acct. and split it up into ~8 or 10 different dividend aristocrat stocks.   Fund those Roth IRAs
Put the rest into regular IRAs.
View Quote
Skip individual stocks and stay with index funds. Your risk is much lower.  Statistically, beating the market is a fools errand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Skip individual stocks and stay with index funds. Your risk is much lower.  Statistically, beating the market is a fools errand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are some good index funds which focus on div aristocrat type companies?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you rather focus on dividends than overall growth? You know your dividends come out of the NAV, right? It’s functionally the same as selling shares that have appreciated instead. Also, not that it would matter in this guys IRA, but it also forces a taxable event (in a taxable account) when you maybe would rather not if that’s a concern for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I gave my ex wife 1.2M in a divorce that finalized less than 2-years ago and have ongoing child support and spousal support payments.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
And in the case of a Roth IRA withdrawals after 59.5 would be tax free? I think my crappy Wells Fargo Roth IRA was in CD's. The CD interest barely kept up with the fees. I like the idea of a mutual fund or stock based Roth though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#25]
What are your goals.

I'd put it into rentals or expanding one if my businesses but I don't have any idea where you want to go.

Cds? That's how money dies but they have their place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What are your goals.
View Quote
Retire at 55, live off the combination of pension and deferred compensation plan. Use HRA account to pay for medical insurance until old enough for Medicare.

I’d be retired now if not for the divorce.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Retire at 55, live off the combination of pension and deferred compensation plan. Use HRA account to pay for medical insurance until old enough for Medicare.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are your goals.

There ya go then.

For specifics,  refer to your accountant or one of the guys on here like midcap that knows such things. My knowledge is more business and rental oriented.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Ammo Fort
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about Fidelity? It appears I can open an account there with no annual fee and they have a no fee index fund (FZROX).

Too good to be true? am i going to have to pay a transaction fee to open the account or put money into it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#30]
You need an emergency fund ASAP.  You are maxing the retirement accounts already, which is great.  What happens if you need $10000 tomorrow for a new roof or whatever?

6 months expenses in an emergency savings account is where I'd put most of the $25000.

After that fund a Roth 401k or max your HSA if you have one.  Then do a taxable investment account as the last resort.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You need an emergency fund ASAP.  You are maxing the retirement accounts already, which is great.  What happens if you need $10000 tomorrow for a new roof or whatever?  
View Quote
I agree that I should have a bigger emergency fund.

But its not as bad as it appears. My car is under warranty. I have excellent heath insurance. Im a renter. So large unexpected expenses are unlikely.

In some hypothetical situation where I suddenly need $10,000.00, I can borrow up to $50K from my deferred comp and the interest is paid back to myself. Or throw it on a no interest credit card then sign up for 9 overtime shifts. Or sell guns and optics.

The other hypothetical scenario where an emergency fund would be beneficial is a job loss. If that happens i start drawing my pension while looking for another job and supplement my pension with my deferred compensation plan.  I'm also finally working on VA disability for an added income stream. Should have done that years ago. I left a lot of money on the table not doing it right away.

Having a lot of money in deferred comp and not having to wait for some minimum age requirement to access it gives me options most people don't have.

ETA: No HSA but i do have a HRA my employer forced my to sign up for several years back. its got around $60K in it so far. I don't really pay it any attention.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I agree that I should have a bigger emergency fund.

But its not as bad as it appears. My car is under warranty. I have excellent heath insurance. Im a renter. So large unexpected expenses are unlikely.

In some hypothetical situation where I suddenly need $10,000.00, I can borrow up to $50K from my deferred comp and the interest is paid back to myself. Or throw it on a no interest credit card then sign up for 9 overtime shifts. Or sell guns and optics.

The other hypothetical scenario where an emergency fund would be beneficial is a job loss. If that happens i start drawing my pension while looking for another job and supplement my pension with my deferred compensation plan.  I'm also finally working on VA disability for an added income stream. Should have done that years ago. I left a lot of money on the table not doing it right away.

Having a lot of money in deferred comp and not having to wait for some minimum age requirement to access it gives me options most people don't have.

ETA: No HSA but i do have a HRA my employer forced my to sign up for several years back. its got around $60K in it so far. I don't really pay it any attention.
View Quote
The point of the emergency money is to avoid having to do any of those things you mentions.  Its great you have deferred comp and a pension you can draw when needed but (1) those things take time, several weeks or months, to get the checks flowing and (2) you absolutely don't want to touch those unless you have no other ways what so ever to get money.

And, having some cash in a savings account means to can go to the bank and get cash right now.  No having to sell things or bank on getting overtime.  And counting on a credit card as emergency cash?  Lol, what happens when the card is maxed out and you need more?

Clearly you have a high risk tolerance and that is fine.  I'm not saying you need all $25000 in a savings account, but not having something, even a few grand stashed away, is financially reckless.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The point of the emergency money is to avoid having to do any of those things you mentions.  Its great you have deferred comp and a pension you can draw when needed but (1) those things take time, several weeks or months, to get the checks flowing and (2) you absolutely don't want to touch those unless you have no other ways what so ever to get money.

And, having some cash in a savings account means to can go to the bank and get cash right now.  No having to sell things or bank on getting overtime.  And counting on a credit card as emergency cash?  Lol, what happens when the card is maxed out and you need more?

Clearly you have a high risk tolerance and that is fine.  I'm not saying you need all $25000 in a savings account, but not having something, even a few grand stashed away, is financially reckless.  
View Quote
OP said he has $6k in cash currently. I don't know about OP's credit card position, but if I'm anywhere near max, there is a humongous problem. I generally have more than two years living expenses available on the CC's.

Anything placed in a Roth can be cashed out immediately. If there is any room left on Roth contributions,  use them. Even if you keep it in a money market fund for a year or two. If there is no emergency, you get to keep the tax advantages. If there is an emergency, you still have the same dollars available to cash out if you really have to. You only get to contribute a limited amount each year, so don't pass up any tax advantages that are available.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What about Fidelity? It appears I can open an account there with no annual fee and they have a no fee index fund (FZROX).

Too good to be true? am i going to have to pay a transaction fee to open the account or put money into it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not USAA?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I opened a Roth IRA with Fidelity this year and am putting money into FZROX. There are no fees, it's an enticement to get you as a customer so they can hopefully make money off of you in other ways in the future and it probably costs them hardly anything. Bank's used to give away toasters and things to get customers to open accounts, it's fundamentally the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I opened a Roth IRA with Fidelity this year and am putting money into FZROX. There are no fees, it's an enticement to get you as a customer so they can hopefully make money off of you in other ways in the future and it probably costs them hardly anything. Bank's used to give away toasters and things to get customers to open accounts, it's fundamentally the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#37]
put it in Vanguard money market fund, i think its paying 2.25%, every time the fed raises it goes up too
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Put it into a Vanguard or Fidelity account in mutual funds that are high performing in the past three years.

Yes, you'll pay taxes on capital gains.  So what?  You pay taxes on any income.

Unless...do you have an IRA?   If you don't, and you're not too old to do it, start a Roth IRA and you pay taxes going in but don't pay taxes coming out.

Invest that Roth IRA same as I said in the first line.   Set it up with Vanguard or Fidelity and pick a high performing mutual fund to put it in.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Put it into a Vanguard or Fidelity account in mutual funds that are high performing in the past three years.

Yes, you'll pay taxes on capital gains.  So what?  You pay taxes on any income.

Unless...do you have an IRA?   If you don't, and you're not too old to do it, start a Roth IRA and you pay taxes going in but don't pay taxes coming out.

Invest that Roth IRA same as I said in the first line.   Set it up with Vanguard or Fidelity and pick a high performing mutual fund to put it in.
View Quote
Picking mutual funds off of short term above average performance is a good way to lose money. Reversion to the mean indicates those funds have a higher likely hood to underperform in the future.

I prefer to pick an allocation plan made from index funds and stick to it with an annual rebalance.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Update

I've opened a Roth IRA at Fidelity but have not funded it as I have not received the money yet. It's now supposed to be between 30-34K.

My plan is to put $5,500 into the Roth for 2018, put $25,000 into an online savings account that has a $200.00 sign up bonus, then put $6,000 into the Roth IRA in 2019  from the online savings account.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Update

I've opened a Roth IRA at Fidelity but have not funded it as I have not received the money yet. It's now supposed to be between 30-34K.

My plan is to put $5,500 into the Roth for 2018, put $25,000 into an online savings account that has a $200.00 sign up bonus, then put $6,000 into the Roth IRA in 2019  from the online savings account.
View Quote
I'm certainly not an expert in financial matters, but on it's surface fully funding 2018 and 2019 roth seasons seems like a solid decision.  I'm in the position to do the same with my roth, for the first time since my divorce.

Feels good man
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Max out roth contributions for 2018 and do the same for 2019.

You could open up a brokerage account with the remaining, and go into SPYD, it's the S&P 500 dividend etf equal weighted TTM dividend yield is around 5%, and the expense ratio is 0.07%

I would seek a broker that trades SPYD commission free, i know on schwab that SPYD is a commission free ETF, i don't know about the others.

make sure you reinvest the dividends.

if you are going to do any fixed income (bonds) stay on the short-end of the curve, i wouldn't go out any longer than maybe 6-months, right now I just roll over 30-day treasuries, occassionally a 60-day

don't leave the Roth in cash, you can put it in SPYD also

Other posts have mentioned CD's, not a fan, i can get the same return in highly-liquid similar maturity treasury instead.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#44]
$5k to cash savings, $11.5k roth this year, next year, 6k HSA (if eligible, else $6k ROTH 2020); $2.5k for you (expecting someone not to touch their windfall at all in unreasonable, better regulated 10% splurge than blowing it all.

You definitely want an emergency fund if ONLY because you have CS payments which will be due, job or no job, sick/disabled/whatever.

Also, you mentioned you have an HRA instead of an HSA... you really need to look into which you have and the plan details, I recall HRAs you dont keep the money if you quit/get fired (its not your money) versus HSA which "its yours"
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not going to like this answer, and it's boring:  put in in the CD and/or add it to your "emergency fund" and general bank account; $1,000/$5,000 isn't much (IMO).
If you want to go the savings/cd route I'd do an online cd. Discover has decent rates on savings and cds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top