Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2018 8:37:30 AM EDT
For pulled pork what internal temp do you pull off the grill?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
When you can pull the bone out. Sometimes it’s 190 but most of the time it needs to be around 200-205
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
205-210. I like pulled pork, not chopped.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I pull mine off at 195, wrap in foil and a towel place it in a cooler and let it rest for 30-60 minutes and then use Claws, or forks to pull/shred it up.

Attachment Attached File

(2 separate cooks)

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
200-205
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the 200’s have it
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pull mine off at 195, wrap in foil and a towel place it in a cooler and let it rest for 30-60 minutes and then use Claws, or forks to pull/shred it up.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78149/6F1043C9-901D-45C3-9E56-E2B0A61C37EF-657645.JPG

(2 separate cooks)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78149/EF25EDB5-4CBB-49F9-9C5A-39B654AFA211-657646.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78149/26B0D4A2-CF56-4498-AC7C-9CF1ED074D36-657647.JPG
View Quote
I could make a meal off that bark alone! Good looking pork! What do run your pit temp at?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Typically I run my temps at as close to 225 as I can, I’ve ran it at 250 before with Little difference, but typically try and stay as close to 225 as I can.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
200-205, or when bone pulls out. If I couldn't check bone and had to pick a temp to pull it, I'd go at 203.

Smoke it at 225 all day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll be smoking one Monday on my Weber Kettle.

Using the snake method, how much wood chunks/chips should I put on top of the coals and where?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ll be smoking one Monday on my Weber Kettle.

Using the snake method, how much wood chunks/chips should I put on top of the coals and where?
View Quote
Do chunks, also depends if you’re going “crutch” it (wrap in foil) at around 165 or not. Is this your first time doing up a butt? If you decide to wrap, make sure whatever rub you’re using has formed a nice bark and has passed the “Scratch test” before wrapping it. That’s where you check the bark in a couple places with just the tip of your finger nail to make sure the bark is “set” (hard) all around. It will soften out if you wrap. Once you wrap it there is really no need to add more wood chunks for smoke as it will be in foil.

If you wrap it, it should drop the length of time for cooking down by a couple hours but in my opinion it’s better if you don’t wrap. My 8lb butts usually take me aprox 16hrs. However, I’ve had them take less. If you do your butt and wrap it, it may be done between 8-10hrs depending on the size. I factor in 1.5hrs per pound as a way of  guesstimating when it will be done. However, go by internal temp and not just time. If you’re wrapping, a whole large snake if constructed right may last you the whole cook. However, it’s more likely you will have to add more towards the end so at that point you just put handfuls at the end before it burns out doing more of a minion method. Don’t forget about a water pan. When I do a snake I usually put my chunks spaced out evenly throughout the snake, but I don’t wrap. So you may only need to do upto half of the snake. These days I use a Slow n Sear generally most of the time.

Don’t be afraid of stalls just be patient, and don’t forget to adjust your vents to keep it at 225 (or as close to it as you can).
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I always pull mine around 203.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By @jokermann77:

Do chunks, also depends if you’re going “crutch” it (wrap in foil) at around 165 or not. Is this your first time doing up a butt? If you decide to wrap, make sure whatever rub you’re using has formed a nice bark and has passed the “Scratch test” before wrapping it. That’s where you check the bark in a couple places with just the tip of your finger nail to make sure the bark is “set” (hard) all around. It will soften out if you wrap. Once you wrap it there is really no need to add more wood chunks for smoke as it will be in foil.

If you wrap it, it should drop the length of time for cooking down by a couple hours but in my opinion it’s better if you don’t wrap. My 8lb butts usually take me aprox 16hrs. However, I’ve had them take less. If you do your butt and wrap it, it may be done between 8-10hrs depending on the size. I factor in 1.5hrs per pound as a way of  guesstimating when it will be done. However, go by internal temp and not just time. If you’re wrapping, a whole large snake if constructed right may last you the whole cook. However, it’s more likely you will have to add more towards the end so at that point you just put handfuls at the end before it burns out doing more of a minion method. Don’t forget about a water pan. When I do a snake I usually put my chunks spaced out evenly throughout the snake, but I don’t wrap. So you may only need to do upto half of the snake. These days I use a Slow n Sear generally most of the time.

Don’t be afraid of stalls just be patient, and don’t forget to adjust your vents to keep it at 225 (or as close to it as you can).
View Quote
This will be my first time smoking in the Kettle, I have a masterbuilt electric but I’ve found that I’m always disappointed in the end product.

I can always finish in the oven if the coals don’t last.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This will be my first time smoking in the Kettle, I have a masterbuilt electric but I’ve found that I’m always disappointed in the end product.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honestly, I’ve done this before and it works great if you need to do that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Smoke at 225-250 for 5 hours or to 150 degrees internal.  Finish at same temp to 203-205 internal (without crutching) usually 9 to 10 hours total..  Wrap and let sit an hour.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I smoke at 225F until 203F internal.
An 8 lb butt usually takes me between 14 to 16 hours (I don't wrap).
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I’m going to try a hot and fast cook next time at around 400-425 or so.

I read it gets to about 45 minutes per pound and it doesn’t get any char built up on the bark unless you have sugar in the rub.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I’m going to try a hot and fast cook next time at around 400-425 or so.

I read it gets to about 45 minutes per pound and it doesn’t get any char built up on the bark unless you have sugar in the rub.
View Quote

Wrap it or it is going to dry out.  Injection is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I've smoked mine at 250 and pull at 203.

I dont think there is a magic number, I think an internal temp that is at x amount of time above y temperature is the key, and for me bringing it to 203 seems to take it beyond whatever magic temp is required for a long enough time.

Not that I'm a seasoned veteran, but I've had enough successful cooks to be satisfied with the above approach.  I'm sure you can do it 8 different ways and make great pulled pork.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night before, slather with yellow mustard and coat with a dry rub.  Stick it in the fridge.

Smoke from 8am to 2pm.

Then I watch the temp so it doesn’t go over 205F which is tricky cause the meat goes exothermic as the collagen breaks down.

Take it out of smoker sometime after 6pm.

Then wrap it up with foil and finish it in the oven at 190F for 6 hours.  Electric ovens automatically shut down after 6 hours which is around 2 to 3am.

The next morning you will have the moistest and flavorful pulled pork that just comes apart so easily.

You’d swear it would dry out the meat, but the opposite is true.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Pit temp around 275, pull it at 200-205 let rest 30min.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#21]
When you pick it up by the bone and it falls apart....

Pork is so forgiving- it’s like remedial bbq.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
From the advice of others here , I started smoking mine at 275° also.

Pull at 205° and rest a couple hours in a cooler.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, higher pit temp works just fine and no difference in the juiciness of the pork.

But the family would kill me if I made them wait a couple of hours to dig in!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I learned from a friend to smoke the meat for 6 hours or so and then put in the oven at 230 overnight or at least long enough to bring the meat up to that temperature.  Once the meat is a that temperature, you pull the bone out with two fingers, grab the butt with insulated gloves and simply "turn it inside out" in one move.  Your pork is pulled, the bad stuff has been fully rendered and the liquid can be poured back onto the meat to add moisture and the goodness that the liquid is.

Prior to learning this approach, I wrestled up to 6 butts with forks, claws, you name it.  Making a batch of pulled pork was exhausting, not anymore!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#25]
202 for brisket
When the bone pulls out for pork shoulder... usually about the same temp
Oops- already answered
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I learned from a friend to smoke the meat for 6 hours or so and then put in the oven at 230 overnight or at least long enough to bring the meat up to that temperature.  Once the meat is a that temperature, you pull the bone out with two fingers, grab the butt with insulated gloves and simply "turn it inside out" in one move.  Your pork is pulled, the bad stuff has been fully rendered and the liquid can be poured back onto the meat to add moisture and the goodness that the liquid is.

Prior to learning this approach, I wrestled up to 6 butts with forks, claws, you name it.  Making a batch of pulled pork was exhausting, not anymore!
View Quote
Yep.  Finished mine in the oven many times after a 5-6 hour smoke.  203-205 final temp and a good rest is key to moist pig.  Ate in some highly rated NC bbq joint last night.  Disappointing as usual.  Dry.  Almost chewy.  Needed sauce and salt.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.  Finished mine in the oven many times after a 5-6 hour smoke.  203-205 final temp and a good rest is key to moist pig.  Ate in some highly rated NC bbq joint last night.  Disappointing as usual.  Dry.  Almost chewy.  Needed sauce and salt.
View Quote
No one's pulled pork matches up to mine (IMO).  Also, my sauces are to die for.  Nothing sweet, just mustard and vinegar based sauces for me.  I bought the book Smoke and Spice and never looked back.  My favorite is a sandwich made with a hoagy roll from Sams Club stuffed with PP, and slathered with my mustard & onion sauce and my vinegar & pepper sauce.  I'm slobbering all over myself typing this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I do 195 °F, but I then arrange on a cookie tray and broil for ~ 4-5 miuntes on high to crisp up the fat.  Pulls apart perfectly and crazy juicy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't care what the temp is, when the meat probes tender, meaning the probe slides in like it's going through warm butter, I pull it.

Same with Brisket.

Ribs I do the droop test.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I always pull mine around 203.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Around 202 for me, but they are all different.  If I can wiggle the bone at 202, it's done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top