Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 12:16:44 AM EDT
Music is undeniably a powerful thing. Certain songs can stir up powerful memories of people, places, or times, no matter how long ago and how often you've heard the song before or since.
I have several which will always cause me to think about certain times, places, or people.

Steve Miller's "Abracadabra" always takes me back to 6th grade. The school I attended at the time at a juke box in the gym and if the weather was too bad (it was Michigan), we got to stay in the gym after lunch. It was 1982 and Abracadabra was a huge hit, so it was frequently played multiple times during those days spent in the gym after lunch. Every time I hear it, I am in that gym.

Sinead O'Conner's "Nothing Compares 2 U" always takes me back to 1990 and the dance floor of The Western Saloon in Wiesbaden, Germany. The first time I heard it, the young German chick with whom I was talking that evening grabbed my hand and took me out on the dance floor. She ended up giving me a BJ on a bench in a schoolyard behind the bar and we dated for a few months. I can't hear that song without thinking of The Western and Sabine. (As an aside, @Clarinath and I are Eskimo brothers thanks to Sabine.)

The Jeff Healey Band's "Angel Eyes" is another one which reminds me of an ex-girlfriend. She and I dated for several months in 1996. When she'd come over to my place and we'd have sex, I'd turn on the radio to keep the neighbors from having to hear her. I swear, that song seemed to get played every time and quickly became "our song." If I hear it, I think of her and the waterbed I had at the time.

What's the song or songs which trigger such powerful nostalgic memories for you every time you hear them?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Got damn that fp
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Bad Company by 5FDP

I drove to a friends housewarming party and that song was playing on the radio, first time I'd ever heard it. There was a beautiful young woman in a very flattering black dress at that party.

Its been a decade or more since, and I'm going on my sixth year of marriage, and I can't hear Bad Company without my heart breaking just a little bit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Any song from a perfect circle mer de noms brings back bittersweet memories. A close friend that committed suicide burned me a copy of that not long before he chose to leave this earth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Garth Brooks - The Dance, cause...

Blink182 - What’s My Age Again, high school shenanigans.  

Linkin Park - entire Hybrid Theory album.

A few more but I’ll keep those to myself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Just about every Phil Collins song from the 80’s.  Especially Take me home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Fight for your right to party.

First music video I ever saw. The older neighbor girl showed it to me on Mtv me when I was a kid. She died from complications from a brain tumor a few years ago. Song is bittersweet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#9]
"Hello", Lionel Richie

"Cry Little Sister", Gerald McMahon

"Is Your Love Strong Enough", Bryan Ferry
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#10]
TOOL - Prison Sex (Official Video)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Careless whisper, partly because I started blaring it when I heard my college roommate going balls deep on this girl he brought over and I felt like being a cunt.

Yes it was funny.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Pretty much all of Led Zep 1 reminds me of when I started getting serious with my wife.  She loved their music, and we always "made out" with that album on.  "You Shook me" has an, shall we say, interesting tempo...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#13]
“I Am Woman” by Helen Reddy reminds me of unshaved college girls.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#14]
What does "making out" mean?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Music is undeniably a powerful thing. Certain songs can stir up powerful memories of people, places, or times, no matter how long ago and how often you've heard the song before or since.
I have several which will always cause me to think about certain times, places, or people.

Steve Miller's "Abracadabra" always takes me back to 6th grade. The school I attended at the time at a juke box in the gym and if the weather was too bad (it was Michigan), we got to stay in the gym after lunch. It was 1982 and Abracadabra was a huge hit, so it was frequently played multiple times during those days spent in the gym after lunch. Every time I hear it, I am in that gym.

Sinead O'Conner's "Nothing Compares 2 U" always takes me back to 1990 and the dance floor of The Western Saloon in Wiesbaden, Germany. The first time I heard it, the young German chick with whom I was talking that evening grabbed my hand and took me out on the dance floor. She ended up giving me a BJ on a bench in a schoolyard behind the bar and we dated for a few months. I can't hear that song without thinking of The Western and Sabine. (As an aside, @Clarinath and I are Eskimo brothers thanks to Sabine.)

The Jeff Healey Band's "Angel Eyes" is another one which reminds me of an ex-girlfriend. She and I dated for several months in 1996. When she'd come over to my place and we'd have sex, I'd turn on the radio to keep the neighbors from having to hear her. I swear, that song seemed to get played every time and quickly became "our song." If I hear it, I think of her and the waterbed I had at the time.

What's the song or songs which trigger such powerful nostalgic memories for you every time you hear them?
View Quote

Ironically a very famous song is about this exact phenomena.  Can you name that song?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Nelly Batter Up....first time I had a girl grind on me.

It was life changing.

I literally enjoy drinking and dancing so much I had to quit before I got married.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#17]
This one triggers strong memories and emotions:

Jamey Johnson - In Color (Official Video)

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Joe Satriani, "Always With Me, Always With You" reminds me of my wife when I hear it. That was sort of 'our' song.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ironically a very famous song is about this exact phenomena.  Can you name that song?
View Quote

Spring of '94. Had just made a large and not necessarily good life decision. Drove out to the local lake with a buddy and threw rocks into the water and talked about what I was going to do next.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Summer of 78, young teenager spending a month at my aunts in San Diego, mission bay, pacific beach, skateboarding, surfing, beach parties etc...etc...
Cheap Trick, I want you to want me
Burned into my brain for several amazing reasons.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I go back. - Kenny chesney.

And as the FP stated... all of them.

Song that evoke emotions, good or bad are the only ones really worth listening to
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boston - More Than A Feeling (HQ)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#25]
A girl I knew from HS was at a party one night. We talked for a few minutes. This song was on in the background on CMT(?).

She got killed in a car wreck sometime after that.

David Ball - When the Thought of You Catches Up With Me
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:50:31 AM EDT
[#26]
The Dance by Garth Brooks.
I was ridding bulls. One night in Starke FL I might my first "true" love. She was a red haired beauty. I fell all over myself for her. We danced to that song behind the chutes.
She and I stayed together about 2 years. It nearly killed me when she left. Just tore my heart out to see her go. That song tears me up everyt8me I hear it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask your parents.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:09 AM EDT
[#28]
The Led Zeppelin song with the high hat and echoing yells/screams in the middle.. yeah that one. Hate it.

My first real job started at 6am. I woke up at 4:30. I had a timer hooked to large home stereo in my bedroom. 4:30 the radio come on loud in a pitch-dark room right when that part started. I jumped up onto my knees at the end of the bed. I felt like I was up high on some sorta small platform and if I fell I would die while being attacked by demons in a dark echoing cavern of some sort. I was holding/waving my hands out in front of my face trying to anticipate some sorta coming attack. I yelled out, "what do you want!?!?". A few seconds later the song resumed and I realized it was the radio..

One of the most terrifying events of my life.

I've hated song ever since.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR4uKcvQbGQ

Another for me, the first album I ever bought with my own money.
I know I wore it out too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ask your parents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask your parents.

I was hoping to get a reply.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#31]

That's the one
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:07:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm already there by lonestar. It was pretty popular a few years after I got out I think? Been a while. Or that one enya song that was set to the 9/11 videos.

Most other songs are just songs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Jane Says ..

Renee, where are you ??
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#34]
"Careless Whisper" by George Michael.

Spring of 1985, I was in AIT at Ft. Sill, OK. There was a real small shopette there (for those who don't know, it's basically just a small convenience store). Instead of going to the chow hall for lunch, a few of us would often go to the shopette and buy junk food. We'd sit at the small table there in the corner and I was usually eating donuts or some sort of pastry. It never failed, that song was always playing on the radio.

Now every time I'm listening to the radio when I'm driving and that song comes on, I'm instantly transported back to that shopette, sitting there eating junk food for lunch with that song playing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#35]
More than I can remember.

The one that I'll never forget is Oh Father by Madonna. My dad passed away in December of 1989. I remember watching this video, on MTV, in that month following his death. The video's imagery is heavy on death, a lot of graveyard scenes in winter. Seemed to resonate with me about the world I suddenly found myself in.

What Might Have Been by Little Texas and Over and Over by Nelly takes me to the girl that got away.

Creep by Radiohead, Brian's Song by Blink-182, Nutshell by Alice In Chains, and Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd defined some really, really mentally dark times in my life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#36]
“Run” by Collective Soul reminds me of waking up at 0400 for Drill Competitions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#37]
FPNI.

Pretty much everything I might listen to triggers some kind of memory. Sometimes they're just random insignificant moments that for some reason became associated with the song though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All of them.
View Quote

I fundamentally disagree.

Spice Girls - Wannabe (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Lots. More than I can name.

Each had a unique place in my life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#40]
That FPNI thing.... I remember the words to songs I haven’t heard in close to 50 years.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Counting Crows - Mr. Jones (Official Music Video)

Stationed in Germany.  Lost a team member in a bizarre Autobahn accident.  We partied our asses off to this song.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Anything off the first 2 Korn albums.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Whole lot of love always triggers my memory of driving a 62 Impala, 3 speed on the column and an 8 track bolted to the bottom of the dashboard.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anything off the first 2 Korn albums.
View Quote

I hope the music from those albums brings you good memories of the time when you remember that music and not memories that you relate to that music.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#46]
A crapload of 80's tunes.
Some in particular from the late 70's.

"Can't always get what ya want" by the Stones...

The entire Boston 1st. album.

Blackfoot- Morning dew.

Van Halen- Unchained.

Metallica- Am I evil. It was pretty much our Rifle Company anthem for a couple years.

BOC- Too many to list.

Kenny wayne Shepherd- Blue on black....That was a bit of a bad time for us.

CCR- Bad moon rising. Winter of 78' LOL!! Anyone in this corner of Mich. that dealt with the shit, is still paranoid about it. I had a ball!

Tunes have the same ability to trigger memory, as smells. At least for me.
I always had the radio on, or something cranking when allowable. I kinda still do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:37:00 AM EDT
[#47]
anything on appetite for destruction reminds me of Panama

Iraq, harvester of sorrow

High school...journey

Being a kid at my folks..cash, john Denver, Hank Sr.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:42:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Not enough bandwidth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#49]
My older brother Daniel joined the Navy when I was still in high school. He traveled around and worked with other NATO navies helping with doctrine. I wanted to be like him and I joined the Navy several years after he did. I got out and he was still in, he was leaving for Sweden out of Chicago. I gave him a ride to airport. Waved goodbye.

He came home a few months later, got sick the day he came back. He died that night. Navy went through his hotel in Sweden, traced the passengers on his flight. No one else was sick. His death certificate says sepsis. It hurt me and still does to this day. I miss that motherfucker bad, he was a cool dude. He had a 4 mile funeral precession with folks from all over the world there. 21 gun salute and a hell of a send off party.
I cry whenever Elton Johns "Daniel" comes on the radio.
Edited to add...
Daniel
Elton John

[Verse 1]
Daniel is travelin' tonight on a plane
I can see the red taillights headin' for Spain
Oh, and I can see Daniel wavin' goodbye
God, it looks like Daniel
Must be the clouds in my eyes

[Verse 2]
They say Spain is pretty, though I've never been
And Daniel says it's the best place he's ever seen
Oh, and he should know, he's been there enough
Lord, I miss Daniel
Oh, I miss him so much

[Chorus]
Oh, Daniel, my brother, you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal?
Your eyes have died, but you see more than I
Daniel, you're a star in the face of the sky

[Chorus]
Oh, Daniel, my brother, you are older than me
Do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal?
Your eyes have died, but you see more than I
Daniel, you're a star in the face of the sky

[Verse 1]
Daniel is travelin' tonight on a plane
I can see the red taillights headin' for Spain
Oh, and I can see Daniel wavin' goodbye
God, it looks like Daniel

[Outro]
Oh God, it looks like Daniel
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:05:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Tracked down the parents of this girl I was interested in once. Drove over and played this song on my boom box held over my head.

This is really the only song that triggers a distinct memory of going to see that movie with that girl. Good times, the 80's lol.

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top