Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 3:19:03 PM EDT
Been thinking about picking up a smartwatch more and more these days. I thought they were a stupid gimick for a long time.  Now it seems like they've gotten the battery life more sorted out on some models.

Looking at the Samsung watches as well as the Amazfit T-Rex and GTR

ETA:  Pre-ordered a Blackview X1 for $35 to try this whole concept out.  Worst case I just saved myself $100+.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Samsung.  Had it for about two years now. Still don't use everything its capable of, but it keeps me from digging out my phone all the time.

I like it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Fitbit Ionic user here.  I used to wear it full time, but now its only for sleeping and running/cycling.  I geek out on the sleep data as well as the GPS data for runs/rides.

Otherwise, its a "real" watch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is a Samsung one, dont know how i got on in life without it before. I use for heartbeat and gps while jogging.
I dont wear it in bed.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Apple Series 5 here.

Got it for a Christmas present. I like it. Very handy for on the fly stuff when you don’t have time or ability to dig out your phone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Garmin Vivoactive that I love. I have friends with Apple watches... somehow they have to bring a charger on trips... and I don't (unless I use the GPS... that's a battery hog).

I previously had a Garmin Vivosmart activity tracker. The other half uses that now. This one is much more useful for things like reading text messages and the like.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Garmin Approach that is really only a golf "watch."  Works fine for what it is.

I also have a SUUNTO AMBIT3 that has GPS and pairs with a heart rate strap, that I use exclusively for running.

My "real" watches are all mechanical.

Nothing against smartwatches.  Just don't need that much data, unless it is activity specific.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Love my Apple Watch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Samsung Gear something or other and some kind of Fitbit.  

They've both sat on my dresser for at least a year.  I never use either, and the Samsung is costing me 10 or 15 dollars a month, because I thought it would extra neat to have a watch with its own phone number.  

It gets old taking your watch off constantly...  and remembering every night to charge it.  Plus I have a note 10 that does everything and more, and is always in my pocket, and I can actually see the screen!  

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Fitbit Versa HR I wear 24/7. I can get biometrics from it and also text message notifications.

The text notification is nice because my phone is usually on vibrate. I can read the texts but can’t reply or send any.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
i think they are useless since everyone has a smart phone
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Are they standalone yet?

I'd like on that I can use as a phone and to text, without having to carry a phone around.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I love Apple products but I'll be damned if I'm gonna wear a watch that constantly tells me I need to stand up, walk, I'm not meeting fitness goals, etc. I like the idea of a smart watch, but I can't imagine actually using it for text, email, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they standalone yet?

I'd like on that I can use as a phone and to text, without having to carry a phone around.
View Quote
Yeah they've got some that are now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AvalonRifle:
I have a Garmin Approach that is really only a golf "watch."  Works fine for what it is.

I also have a SUUNTO AMBIT3 that has GPS and pairs with a heart rate strap, that I use exclusively for running.

My "real" watches are all mechanical.

Nothing against smartwatches.  Just don't need that much data, unless it is activity specific.
View Quote

One of the things I like about my VivoActive is that it has apps for all the sports, so I can run with it, I can bike with it (though I have a Bike computer also), I can swim with it, I can Golf with it...

It's not quite as good as the dedicated device for each of those things - but it's damn good.

For Golf, for instance, you load the course, and it gives you distances from where ever you are, how long your shot was, counts your shots, etc. Works a little less well in a Scramble... but still very nice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Garmin something or other.

Use it for running only.  Tried as a smartwatch but never took to it.  Don't need bluetooth draining  the phone and watch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a employer provided Apple watch. It does some neat things and I look like Maxwell Smart talking to it if I'm away from my phone. I don't think I would buy one personally.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm actually researching the Garmin Fenix 6 line now.  I'd like something to use more extensively hiking, and those have some great features, in addition to the other sports, fitness tracking, etc.

Actually missed out on a good deal on one here, should have jumped on that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Can’t wear them in a scif unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#20]
there's going to be a new Samsung galaxy watch this fall with an even better battery life. I've been wearing my current galaxy since it came out and love it. Some nice bands available for them to dress up a little and it actually looks like a real watch and not a fitness tracker, so it doesn't stand out if you're dressed a little nicer for work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can't wear them in a scif unfortunately.
View Quote
That was the reason I never really gave them much thought as I was in one several times a day.  I'm not working in SCIFs all that frequently these days so now I'm more open to the idea of getting one.  

Quoted:
there's going to be a new Samsung galaxy watch this fall with an even better battery life. I've been wearing my current galaxy since it came out and love it. Some nice bands available for them to dress up a little and it actually looks like a real watch and not a fitness tracker, so it doesn't stand out if you're dressed a little nicer for work.
View Quote

Good to know.  I can hold off for a bit and see what the new hotness is.  I do like the fact it looks like a normal watch too.  If Gadgetbridge gets compatibility with the Amazfit T-Rex I may go that route.  It and the GTS have been tempting me since I found them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
That was the reason I never really gave them much thought as I was in one several times a day.  I'm not working in SCIFs all that frequently these days so now I'm more open to the idea of getting one.  

Good to know.  I can hold off for a bit and see what the new hotness is.  I do like the fact it looks like a normal watch too.  If Gadgetbridge gets compatibility with the Amazfit T-Rex I may go that route.  It and the GTS have been tempting me since I found them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Originally Posted By Josh:
Can't wear them in a scif unfortunately.
That was the reason I never really gave them much thought as I was in one several times a day.  I'm not working in SCIFs all that frequently these days so now I'm more open to the idea of getting one.  

Originally Posted By WOAFP:
there's going to be a new Samsung galaxy watch this fall with an even better battery life. I've been wearing my current galaxy since it came out and love it. Some nice bands available for them to dress up a little and it actually looks like a real watch and not a fitness tracker, so it doesn't stand out if you're dressed a little nicer for work.

Good to know.  I can hold off for a bit and see what the new hotness is.  I do like the fact it looks like a normal watch too.  If Gadgetbridge gets compatibility with the Amazfit T-Rex I may go that route.  It and the GTS have been tempting me since I found them.

For me, going in a couple of times a week was worse. Hard to get into a routine and very easy to fuck up. So I stopped.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Love my Samsung Frontier. Call quality is good. Texting interface is simple, and being able to pay for stuff without taking out your wallet is pretty nifty. And it just looks nice

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Normally file them under "meh" but man, I kinda want that new Garmin Tactix Delta... battery life blows the Apple Watch out of the water, actually genuinely ruggedized, don't need a smartphone paired to it unless you want to, and I like that you can use it at night without it lighting up like a giant "I'm over here" beacon. Looks pretty sharp too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
I love Apple products but I'll be damned if I'm gonna wear a watch that constantly tells me I need to stand up, walk, I'm not meeting fitness goals, etc. I like the idea of a smart watch, but I can't imagine actually using it for text, email, etc.
View Quote

This is the camp I fall into. I like the idea and some of the new ones look nice too. Elevation, weather, options like that appeal to me but I always end up deciding that I prefer my classic diver style watches.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Garmin D2 Delta PX that I bought for flying.  It integrates with Garmin Pilot on the iPad and has all the aviation charts built in.  Also does all the regular smart watch things, fitness tracker, spO2, all that stuff.

It was nifty for a while, and I still wear it when I go exercise or if I'm in an airplane, but for most things, I just got to where it was feeling like an extension of my electric leash so outside of those things, I just don't wear it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#27]
The SO picked one up (Samsung) with her Trump Bucks a couple weeks ago. (Luckily we're very essential so it was just a bonus)  Seems like a gimmick and still has to charge it every night.  I think she's already lost interest.  I don't see her wearing it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#28]
What I like about my watch is that its my one electronic device I don't need to constantly charge.

Tritium hands + a Photon LED mounted on the band is about as much functionality as I need from my watch.

That said, I do think the 007/James Bond franchise is missing out by not having Q issue Bond a smart watch.

007 Smart Watch:
-Remote detonator for Bond's Blasting Cap cigarettes
-Auto activate Bonds self driving car, and have it drive to position of the watch to pick him up
-Pilot trunk deployed quadcopter
-Encrypted radio com with other agents in the field
-Etc
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Just pre-ordered a Blackview X1 for $35.  Has about the same limited functionality as the Amazfit watches but no requirement, at least as far as I can tell, to install an app on my phone.  Long enough battery life to be somewhat comparable to the big names so this will be my test run to see if this is something I actually like and will continue to use or if I'll look at it as a novelty.  If I like this I might get a Fossil Gen 5 or the new Samsung watch when it comes out.  

Funny thing is, I was seriously considering buying this Citizen last night as a daily beater watch.  I generally speaking dislike quartz movements, but that's probably in part due to the fact that all my watches that have that movement type are battery powered and dead when I want to wear them.  So Eco-drive is probably close enough to an auto which I greatly prefer.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just pre-ordered a Blackview X1 for $35.  Has about the same limited functionality as the Amazfit watches but no requirement, at least as far as I can tell, to install an app on my phone.  Long enough battery life to be somewhat comparable to the big names so this will be my test run to see if this is something I actually like and will continue to use or if I'll look at it as a novelty.  If I like this I might get a Fossil Gen 5 or the new Samsung watch when it comes out.  

Funny thing is, I was seriously considering buying this Citizen last night as a daily beater watch.  I generally speaking dislike quartz movements, but that's probably in part due to the fact that all my watches that have that movement type are battery powered and dead when I want to wear them.  So Eco-drive is probably close enough to an auto which I greatly prefer.

View Quote

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with an app on your phone?

My major uses for my watch - beyond fitness tracking or GPS - all require integration with your phone. Other than telling time, the number one use is reading and replying to text messages... Which really requires something that talks to your phone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with an app on your phone?

My major uses for my watch - beyond fitness tracking or GPS - all require integration with your phone. Other than telling time, the number one use is reading and replying to text messages... Which really requires something that talks to your phone.
View Quote
Short answer, I don't trust many app developers, especially so for those who are based in China.  If you actually read the terms of service for the permissions you grant on many apps you'll probably second guess if installing it is worth it.  Long answer, spend enough time working in SCIFs and you become skeptical of pretty much everything.  

I personally don't feel the need to talk or respond to text messages on a watch.  I would like to get notifications pushed to a watch, which is on me, vs my phone which I keep in my desk when I'm at work.  Fitness tracking/GPS I could honestly care less if it exists or not.  I don't run anymore (The Army trashed my knees and back), I don't care about HR metrics, and I have a phone with GPS on it if I need GPS information.  If I do cardio it's on a road bike, which has a RAM X-mount for my phone on it.  NFC payment is kinda cool, but not essential as the technology has a bit further to go in terms of development before I feel like jumping on board.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Samsung, and after the initial neat factor wore off, It sits far more that it gets used.
Battery life started out really good, but after 7 months, 2 days is about it.

My folks both have Apple watches. The biggest reason is because they are both in their 70's and not in the greatest of health, and the Apple watches have a fall detector, which is a great feature.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I want less "smart" tech in my life, and more analog.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#34]
The X1 arrived over the weekend.  It's not bad for a $35 watch, but that being said I'm thinking smart watches just aren't for me.  The one near feature 9s that I can make my phone play a noise if I can't find it. Frankly Tile Mates would accomplish the same goal for that sort of thing.

Found the notifications annoying so those got turned off pretty fast. Music control is meh. The faces are alright, and probably the only feature I'd really play with to be honest. HR and sports tracking isn't a consideration for me so I'm ambivalent about that.

I'm going to give it a week or two before making my mind up for sure. But my initial gut feeling is typically spot on with these sorts of things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top