Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2021 4:05:49 PM EDT
I've bought many lighters in the last 20 years. I've always tried for high value lighters with lots of okay lighter, bic alway reliable, but slow to light a cigar, and overheated a lot. Then I started buying jet flame lighter from Aliexpress. Barely usable to total junk, I won't make that mistake anymore. Except for the butane zippo style lighter that is soft flame, but always works.

Next I started buying lighters from Amazon, and cigar bid. Okay but still not like I am assume the $30 and up torch lighters a see advertised on internet cigar  stores. I really like a quads ability to throw fire, but I only bought a few cheap ones from cigar bid. I also bought some pos from cigar bid,Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My favorite lighter so far, my go to, search till I find it leaving no stone unturned, is a free one that came in a drew estates sampler pack sent to me from Famous Smoke Shop for some cigars I bought that I was very unhappy about. It always works. Even if I've tried five others that won't but sometimes do, I know if it's near it won't let me down. It's my every day carry lighter, and it needs to have zero missfunctions.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

What is you most reliable lighter and where can I get one?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Xikar Verano

Not great for windy conditions, but the damn thing always works on the first click.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Torches are both the greatest thing ever for cigars, but also the bane of cigars' existence.  Pardon the cigar snob torch rant....

I've lost count the number of times I've seen someone take a really nice cigar, like a Padron or Fuente, and jam the torch onto the end of it, completely scorching and destroying the cigar.  Most idiots don't even realize what they've done.

I do use torches, but I use them to light cedar spills, and that's what I use to light my cigars.

Just like this.  I even have/use the exact same spills...
How to light a Cigar using Cedar Spills - CigarReserve.com

If you must use a torch to light a cigar, the cigar should never come within a foot of the torch.  You toast the cigar, you don't put that excessively-hot blue flame anywhere near the poor cigar.

ETA: Xikar is overpriced/overmarketed.  Decent stuff, but ridiculously expensive.  

I use these lighters.  Dual torch, currently $13 on Amazon.  It's like a Zippo, so it's a nice fidget toy as well...Three years in and still going strong.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never had a fire piston fail, physics being what it is.

But for on-demand fuel-fed handheld lighters? A c-store bic or equivelant usually works pretty well.

Oh, we're in "The Humidor" - candles work pretty well in an indoor setting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Xikar Verano

Not great for windy conditions, but the damn thing always works on the first click.
View Quote

Love my Verano. Being a rep it gets handed out at events but I keep a VERY close eye on it??
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: Xikar is overpriced/overmarketed.  Decent stuff, but ridiculously expensive.  

View Quote

Link to a reliable flat flame lighter for under $40?

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DILLIGAF

I already said I don't use torches to light my cigars.  Why would I give a fuck about the latest torch gimmick?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

DILLIGAF

I already said I don't use torches to light my cigars.  Why would I give a fuck about the latest torch gimmick?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DILLIGAF

Oh, you’re special.  Gotcha.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Zippo.

Been carrying one for 30 years.  As long as I put fuel in it, it works.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Zippo

I've never had a butane refillable that wasn't a finicky piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't had my Meridian long enough to judge. My cheap Vertigo is my most reliable lighter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Hands down my Vertigos
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I use a cheap torch lighter I probably paid $15 for off amazon. It's lasted a long time. It lights great and is just right. However, at times it's hard to light off. I also keep an aim and flame where I smoke and I use it to get the lighter going from time to time. Takes seconds then good to go. It only does it every so often. Too lazy to get another or try to fix it.

It's alsos pread out enough I can use one torch of the 3 to light a short story or something like that.

Modern problems require modern solutions lol. Cheap but very effective.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I think I'm going to pick up a single flame torch for smaller ring gauge sticks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
For jet lighters I’ve used multiple JetLine New York triple flame lighters since 2013 to good effect.

The original still works, although the igniter’s sleeve got melted a bit and it’s more problematic. I bought 3 more this past year and things are dandy.

I smoke big cigars everyday and therefore I plow through a lot of clicks daily, so I’m probably a lot harder on lighters than most.

You can find them on EBay and they come in twin jets and quadruple jets, as well.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to find a soft flame lighter that has a little larger flame to make it more usable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd like to find a soft flame lighter that has a little larger flame to make it more usable.
View Quote

The xikar meridian fits that description
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up a xikar 3 flame tactical on sale for $35 that runs like a top.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Zippo butane insert for my Zippo. For $13 or thereabout it’s a good lighter if you already have a Zippo. Plus you still get the click when you open it like a normal Zippo
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Picked up a xikar 3 flame tactical on sale for $35 that runs like a top.
View Quote

Yup, they are outstanding. And gents, invest $20 on a good bleed tool, makes a world of difference!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yup, they are outstanding. And gents, invest $20 on a good bleed tool, makes a world of difference!
View Quote

Any advantage over using a finishing nail? It seems to work fine to me...
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Unpressurized: Zippo, of course

Pressurized: IM Corona Old Boy (still made in Japan)
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife bought me a Xikar ELX about a year ago. I really like it. Hefty and reliable. Love the built in punch!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#23]
An F-15 or a Nukeular device. Lights every time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The xikar meridian fits that description
View Quote

That thing is a BEAST!

I use Xikar triple flame tactical lighters. Bought a bunch when CigarPage was blowing them out for $35.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
A) NEVER been a smoker

That said, I like backpacking/camping.

Bought a UST Trekker stormproof lighter ~12+ years ago. It's been the most reliable lighter I've ever used. Only ever been filled with Vector Quintuple filtered butane (again, I don't smoke, so I still have the same  12+ year old can of Vector butane).

It still lights first time, EVERY time (simple trick is to press the button a little slower, so I hear the hiss of butane before the click of the piezoelectric spark).

I've left the thing partially filled, with my gear unused for over a year (didn't have the chance to go backpacking). Yep, still lit up on the first try.

It WAS bright orange, and is now kinda grimy, but just tested it again, and still lights on the first click. I use it as primary ignition for backpacking, but also carry the UST BlastMatch for a backup. Tough SOB with the rubber armor and cap. It's been dropped on rocks, and the rubber armor shrugs it off.

As with any butane lighter, doesn't work well at high altitudes. For Winter camping, I just keep it in my jacket pocket so it stays warmer than the ambient temperature.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Making use of my new single flame. Don't use this one  often as I don't want to scratch it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#27]
A cheap grocery store checkout isle butane torch.

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
All of them, from $8 chinamart, to zippo conversion, to colibri, once I started using triple distilled fuel.  

I have used them more for heat shrink and paracord than to light cigars.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#29]
My vertigo isn’t working well anymore, I picked up the butane insert for zippo and it’s working like a champ.  

Hard to justify 200 for a torch, are they really that much better?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top