Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:22:13 PM EDT
I keep seeing people talk about Signal being a Government op/app and that’s why it’s openly pushed on other sites like Twitter.  Someone more app/ tech savvy, what’s your thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by openly pushed? I haven't spent a ton of time on twitter, but never noticed that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
lolno
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you are thinking about tor
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It's disinformation put out so people don't switch.  They don't want people having encrypted comms.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tor is not run by the govt, but the govt might run exit nodes.  It was originally developed by the Navy iirc.

The NSA had a technique that targets a vulnerability – which they codenamed "EgotisticalGiraffe" – in an outdated Firefox browser version at one time bundled with the Tor package[11] and, in general, targets Tor users for close monitoring under its XKeyscore program.[12] Attacks against Tor are an active area of academic research[13][14] which is welcomed by the Tor Project itself.[15] The bulk of the funding for Tor's development has come from the federal government of the United States,[16] initially through the Office of Naval Research and DARPA.[17]

Its useful for 'bad actors' as well as people behind enemy lines, the latter of which is why it was developed.

Now we may be behind enemy lines in our own country, so I suggest people get a VPN and start using tor for situations that call for it.  Never use tor over your bare clearnet connection.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Signal the one Jack Dorsey recently endorsed?

I have several questions as well, but I'm too dumb to know where to ask them, and doesn't look like GD is going to help much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do you think Twitter was allowed to grow so fast with no real revenue and so many radical leaders still have their accounts.   Twitter is a tool and it can be used to change the narrative in elections overseas.  It's just allowed to be used to by conservatives in our own country for OUR elections.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
On the surface,  it looks good. Does that mean that there isn't a back door? No.

Use with caution, just like everything else.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is Signal the one Jack Dorsey recently endorsed?

I have several questions as well, but I'm too dumb to know where to ask them, and doesn't look like GD is going to help much.
View Quote

I imagine Dorsey recommends Signal because it allows him to communicate secretly with other Big Tech leftists and Democrat politicians.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty sure it was. Gov owned

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
went and yanked this off wiki.

I used to use the original products back in the day.

Whisper Systems in 2010. The company produced proprietary enterprise mobile security software. Among these were an encrypted texting program called TextSecure and an encrypted voice calling app called RedPhone.

In November 2011, Whisper Systems announced that it had been acquired by Twitter.

Shortly after the acquisition, Whisper Systems' RedPhone service was made unavailable.

later left Twitter and founded Open Whisper Systems as a collaborative open source project for the continued development of TextSecure and RedPhone.

In February 2014, Open Whisper Systems introduced the second version of their TextSecure Protocol (now Signal Protocol), which added end-to-end encrypted group chat and instant messaging capabilities to TextSecure.

Toward the end of July 2014, Open Whisper Systems announced plans to unify its RedPhone and TextSecure applications as Signal.

On 18 November 2014, Open Whisper Systems announced a partnership with WhatsApp to provide end-to-end encryption by incorporating the Signal Protocol into each WhatsApp client platform.

On 5 April 2016, WhatsApp and Open Whisper Systems announced that they had finished adding end-to-end encryption to "every form of communication" on WhatsApp, and that users could now verify each other's keys.

In September 2016, Google launched a new messaging app called Allo, which features an optional "incognito mode" that uses the Signal Protocol for end-to-end encryption.

In October 2016, Facebook deployed an optional mode called "secret conversations" in Facebook Messenger which provides end-to-end encryption using an implementation of the Signal Protocol.

In November 2015, the TextSecure and RedPhone applications on Android were merged to become Signal for Android.

On 4 October 2016, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Open Whisper Systems published a series of documents revealing that OWS had received a subpoena requiring them to provide information associated with two phone numbers for a federal grand jury investigation in the first half of 2016. Only one of the two phone numbers was registered on Signal, and because of how the service is designed, OWS was only able to provide "the time the user's account had been created and the last time it had connected to the service". OWS said it was the first time they had received a subpoena, and that they were committed to treat "any future requests the same way".

On February 21, 2018, Moxie Marlinspike and WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton announced the formation of the Signal Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is "to support, accelerate, and broaden Signal's mission of making private communication accessible and ubiquitous."[4][46] The foundation was started with an initial $50 million in funding from Acton, who had left WhatsApp's parent company Facebook in September 2017.

Once Signal messages are received and decrypted on a user's device, they are stored locally in a SQLite database that is encrypted with SQLCipher. The key to decrypt this database is also stored locally on the user's device and can be accessed if the device is unlocked. On December 10, 2020, Cellebrite published a blog post announcing that one of their products could now access this key and use it to "decrypt the Signal app." Cellebrite retracted the post a day later, replacing it with a summary of their product's capabilities.       representatives from Signal, who said the original post by Cellebrite had been about accessing data on "an unlocked Android phone in their physical possession" and that they "could have just opened the app to look at the messages.

Between 2013 and 2016, Open Whisper Systems received grants from the Shuttleworth Foundation, the Knight Foundation, and the Open Technology Fund.

Signal Messenger was initially funded by donations through the Freedom of the Press Foundation, which acted as Signal Messenger's fiscal sponsor while the Signal Foundation's non-profit status was pending. The Signal Foundation is officially tax-exempt as of February 2019.

View Quote
Having pasted all that, remember that it took about 25 years for people to realize the biggest european seller of encryption products was a company wholly owned by the CIA.

Previously, it would be concerning because of the types of people on signal, would make it... advantageous to crack. With everybody jumping on it last few years, it would be a bitch to separate the noise from the stuff you wanted to hear. Never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
went and yanked this off wiki.

I used to use the original products back in the day.

Having pasted all that, remember that it took about 25 years for people to realize the biggest european seller of encryption products was a company wholly owned by the CIA.

Previously, it would be concerning because of the types of people on signal, would make it... advantageous to crack. With everybody jumping on it last few years, it would be a bitch to separate the noise from the stuff you wanted to hear. Never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about.
View Quote
I'm glad I don't have to figure out what that said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top