Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 6:24:52 PM EDT
I can’t really afford “nice” watches but a coworker is trying to sell a luminox pacific diver that looks to be brand new. It would be the nicest/most expensive watch I’ve ever bought. Are they decent or junk with a price tag to follow?

I don’t have pictures of it but it’s the silver/black stainless model and he wants $400 for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Check grey market prices and not retail. I have two, and while I like them, I was disappointed. Bands only seem to last a couple of years, unless you have the Hardlex Crystal, the face will get scratched easily. In that price, there are several watches I'd recommend over most luminox watches, unless its one of their higher end models.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Recon version. Love the look, but been disappointed with durability.
Can’t trust it, so don’t wear it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Luminox refused to honor their warranty on the most expensive model they used to make (titanium) because they "don't have any replacement faces" and wouldn't even offer to discount a replacement watch. I therefore take every opportunity to shit on them that presents itself. I wouldn't pay $400 for one if it was made of Angel dander and virgin tears.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple, it's a $100 watch for only $200 , but I like tritium markers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple, it's a $100 watch for only $200 , but I like tritium markers.
View Quote
Get a Traser instead. Same stuff but less expensive.

https://traserwatch.com/all-watches

Edit: Also look at MWC, since Traser apparently doesn't offer the P6500 series anymore.
https://mwcwatches.com/collections/mwc-p656-tactical-series
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd personally rather have a marathon.  Actual military ties instead of implied (if you're into that).
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a Traser instead. Same stuff but less expensive.

https://traserwatch.com/all-watches

Edit: Also look at MWC, since Traser apparently doesn't offer the P6500 series anymore.
https://mwcwatches.com/collections/mwc-p656-tactical-series
View Quote

Have/have had several but they weren't any cheaper than Luminox
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]
My luminox started eating batteries after a few years and crapped out.

Deep Blue makes some dive watches with tritium. They have a 40% off sale a few times per year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
On a TECHINCALLY used Luminox.
50% off what ever MSPR.

As for the brand.
They are the Patron Tequila of the watch world.
GREAT marketing mediocre product.  

There is really nothing special about them. That sets them a part from a Fossil or Invicta or Michael Kors.
But if you like the watch, and like the styling and can get it for the right price go for it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can’t really afford “nice” watches but a coworker is trying to sell a luminox pacific diver that looks to be brand new. It would be the nicest/most expensive watch I’ve ever bought. Are they decent or junk with a price tag to follow?

I don’t have pictures of it but it’s the silver/black stainless model and he wants $400 for it.
View Quote

In general, you dont want a used Tritium watch simply because the Trit vials lose 1/2 their brightness after 10 years. So you really want to snag the 'freshest' watch you can get.

Deep Blue and GWS both make nice Tritium watches in that price range.

https://www.militarywatchshop.co.uk/section/h3-gws-g10/

https://www.deepbluewatches.com/damilt1trgrf1.html

https://www.deepbluewatches.com/da41trtautrt2.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Junk…
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine lasted a few months before the cheap ass band broke.
Never again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Luminox is over rated IMO. I’ve gotten much better durability and service out of my solar atomic g shocks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to pass on it

really like the looks of it though so am going to keep looking. The deep blue ones linked in here look nice too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Look here

Good quality, high value,lowish cost

Before I spent $400 on a Luminox I would look hard at the Islander Series from Long Island Watch.

Private label using Seiko automatic movements in most if not all. No tritium but Super Luminova ,most if not all with sapphire crystals, well made bracelets/bands. Divers, Fleigers ,Field and some dress models. Marc is a good dude and also has other brands. $300 will buy a great every day watch that looks good ,functions well , and has features generally costing much more in other brands.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple of them. I just don't wear watches anymore. If I can find them I will give you one if you want it. I have to find it first though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The tritium will spoil you, and no other lume will be as good after owning one. I really loved my Luminox but it just didn't last.
If lume isn't that important to you there are much better options.
Even if you need/want tritium there are better options for the same money.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a couple of them. I just don't wear watches anymore. If I can find them I will give you one if you want it. I have to find it first though.
View Quote

@MaxFenig

Let me know if you find them, we can work out a fair offer or something on them! Thanks for the offer
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Get one manufactured by mb-microtec.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I've owned a RECON model for years.  Like others have said, the strap will wear out on you in a couple of years.  I replaced it with a NATO strap.  

The watch itself has been really reliable for me and I have worn it a lot.  I really like the tritium lume and the light weight of the watch, too.  Doubtless there are other options out there but I've liked mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Luminox ain't great.

Lum-Tec is pretty good though.

They have nothing in common but the name is kinda sorta similar.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Got my Luminox Navy SEAL dive watch in ‘02.  Like the look of it. Found out in ‘04-05 that it didn’t keep very good time.  We time hacked every day at work and after a week it would be off, by a couple seconds.  Replaced the battery around ‘14, at a jeweler.  After about 2 years it started “dying” frequently. Brought it back to a jeweler, they said it had some water damage and they fixed it for almost the cost of a new one (wife said ok since she knew I liked it).  Recently it started acting up again. Sadly if it isn’t a dead battery it’ll probably get retired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top