Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2022 12:54:30 PM EDT
I'm not a fan of these types of lenses, as most of my shooting is sports where I use my 70-200.    

But, looking for a decent "walk around" lens.   I view the Nikon 28-300mm as the bench mark, but really don't want to spend that much on a walk around lens.   Plus, it's still a bit too big for a lens to carry around all day.

Would consider a focal length of 18-200mm as well.   Tamron, Sigma are ok as well.    

Don't need top quality, but would like a compact, light, fairly versatile lens.    

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of these types of lenses, as most of my shooting is sports where I use my 70-200.    

But, looking for a decent "walk around" lens.   I view the Nikon 28-300mm as the bench mark, but really don't want to spend that much on a walk around lens.   Plus, it's still a bit too big for a lens to carry around all day.

Would consider a focal length of 18-200mm as well.   Tamron, Sigma are ok as well.    

Don't need top quality, but would like a compact, light, fairly versatile lens.
View Quote
Take a look at the Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. It's just over a pound of weight with a bit more reach - and much less cost - than the "standard" 24-70mm.

A lot of people consider the 50mm f/1.8 the standard walk-around lens and it comes at a very competitive price.

That said, I'm not sure how best to help with your question as it sounds like you want to buy a lens that you're "not a fan of". If you're looking for an "all-in-one" lens (aka, "super-zoom"), they're all going to be somewhat similar to the Nikon 28-300mm in size, weight, performance, and cost.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I am an hobbyist but a buddy of mine who shoots for a couple of news outlets suggested a Sigma 18-200.  I bought one through B&H on sale and have been using it for several years now.  I like it a lot and it can certainly be found cheap.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am an hobbyist but a buddy of mine who shoots for a couple of news outlets suggested a Sigma 18-200.  I bought one through B&H on sale and have been using it for several years now.  I like it a lot and it can certainly be found cheap.
View Quote
Sigma equipment is prtty good. I have a 16mm F1.4 for my Sony A6600.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The now-discontinued Nikkor 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens is considered by many to be one hell of a sleeper lens;  it was my first true zoom tele and I still use it regularly (when I don't want to haul around the 200-500).

B&H has a used one for $280 right now, Grade 9+

Think I paid about $500 for mine a decade ago.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802435868-USE/nikon_2161_af_s_vr_zoom_nikkor_70_300mm.html

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.    Found a Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD lens on ebay for $170.     Suppose to be in excellent condition.   We'll see.

Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The now-discontinued Nikkor 70-300 4.5-5.6 G lens is considered by many to be one hell of a sleeper lens;  it was my first true zoom tele and I still use it regularly (when I don't want to haul around the 200-500).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802435868-USE/nikon_2161_af_s_vr_zoom_nikkor_70_300mm.html

View Quote

Fantastic lens for the money. It is part of my "vacation kit" when the f/2.8 zooms are staying home. Matches well with the above-mentioned 24-85mm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've actually given that lens some thought, as it seems comparable to the Nikon 28-300 zoom, just a lot cheaper.

I still might pick one of those up, since the price is right on them.    Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've actually given that lens some thought, as it seems comparable to the Nikon 28-300 zoom, just a lot cheaper.

I still might pick one of those up, since the price is right on them.    Thanks.
View Quote

Not saying the 28-300 is a bad lens, per se, but it tries to be the jack of all trades and ends up with some compromises wrt to sharpness and speed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The lens showed up yesterday.    Haven't had a chance to really test it out, but so far, it's pretty much what I expected it to be.   Pretty good at a lot of things, but obviously not great at anything, and that's fine.    i have fast glass for high school football games and for events that require fast glass, and I think this cheapo Tamron will find a place in the rotation.

It's really light, which is what I want from time to time......just something to bang around with when there's lots of light to work with.    Paid $170 for it and it's in excellent condition.   I think new these things go for around $600 new.    I would have been disappointed in the lens if I had paid that much for a chinese made lens like this.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top