Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My Dad had one and ordered custom fit stocks from Herrett's Stocks.  They are very nice!  Send them a tracing (and some $) of your shooting hand and they custom make them for you.  

The refinish job by the factory is a great idea.  I had a BH that I sent in to be rebarreled, overhauled, and refinished.  It came back better than ever.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Slick! Summit had a stainless one about a year ago that I really wanted to grab.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You are pretty lucky!  Bought a Security Six new in 87.  Still have it, still love it, and it's stoopid accurate.  Only problem I have is that I downloaded some .38 for my wife, and now I don't get to shoot it much anymore, LOL!  Did put some Pachmyer finger groove grips on; still have the originals.  Still have the box!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome trade OP!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Well he shot all his ammo . Not looking to turn into an ammo dealer so split 100 cash with a few boxes of 5.56.

Hard to imagine someone would bubba up a 101 year old rifle, it has a early 1942 barrel makes me curious on the history. Off to googlefu some sights and stock.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crazy timing on this thread. A year or so ago my dad gave me several revolvers. Just tonight I finally busted them out to look them over.

One was a security six.

https://i.imgur.com/fOJCOiK.jpg

I’m not much of a revolver guy but I have some mint old revolvers now. The others were a single six 22 with two cylinders and an old army black powder .44.

View Quote

You might be somewhat surprised with what the going rate for those three guns are . Partly due to the shortage going on now and partly just inflation , seems just recently I heard the old armys are discontinued and going for 800-900
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Old Army revolver have been discontinued for a while and yes, $750-850 is the norm.

Have seen a couple with their original boxes go north of $1200
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You might be somewhat surprised with what the going rate for those three guns are . Partly due to the shortage going on now and partly just inflation , seems just recently I heard the old armys are discontinued and going for 800-900
View Quote

Prior to the recent panic, a Security Six would generally be in the $400-$450 range around here.

A Single Six generally isn't much far behind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crazy timing on this thread. A year or so ago my dad gave me several revolvers. Just tonight I finally busted them out to look them over.

One was a security six.

https://i.imgur.com/fOJCOiK.jpg

I’m not much of a revolver guy but I have some mint old revolvers now. The others were a single six 22 with two cylinders and an old army black powder .44.

Damn I have one o' those - and some balls caps and powder.  

Funny story - was playing with it at the indoor range one day and they had a CCL class going on.   It was like pew pew pew-pewBOOM  ,,,,,,, pew pew BOOM BOOM  pew .......  LOL   The instructor paused the class to come out and as what the fuck was THAT

Pain in the ass to load and shoot and dirty as fuck but fun to run it once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
A nice piece of machinery  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Solid as a brick shithouse and have decent single action triggers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Old Army revolver have been discontinued for a while and yes, $750-850 is the norm.

Have seen a couple with their original boxes go north of $1200
View Quote

Interesting.

I have the original box of the Old Army. It also has a bunch of the original paperwork down in there.  I don’t have the box from the single six tho.

I think the grips on the old army are custom elk antler grips my dad made. Not sure if that hurts the value. I bet I have the original grips somewhere in the box he gave me.

All 3 revolvers he gave me are almost perfect condition!

Single six on the right.  Security six left.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As is pricing things based on a bubble.
View Quote

Those were $400-450 guns in AZ pre-2020. (With better finishes.)

Glocks in ok condition get 400 here all day long. Again pre woo flue and summer riots.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Interesting.

I have the original box of the Old Army. It also has a bunch of the original paperwork down in there.  I don’t have the box from the single six tho.

I think the grips on the old army are custom elk antler grips my dad made. Not sure if that hurts the value. I bet I have the original grips somewhere in the box he gave me.

https://i.imgur.com/mRGXHun.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2hinB8H.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mK4QIoM.jpg
View Quote

Look on gunbroker.com - 900 seems about right for what you have.   Or wait a few months and see then after Bitme has played some of his hands  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is timely.  I have a few of these Rugers.  Decent reliable guns.  Never had any issues with mine.  

I bought a holster worn Service Six about 10 years ago for $220.  I sold it last week for $430.  

Still own a Security Six.  Probably won't ever sell it.  Fun to shoot, robust, heavy, and simple.  Enjoy the gun.  Maybe some different grips to make it look less beat up and that's a great gun for what you have in it.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got 3 boxes of .380 i'll offer for it
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First you score a smoking deal on a great revolver, and then you get .357 Magnum ammunition for $20 a box?!

Have you bought your lottery tickets yet?
View Quote

This! OP you got a great deal on an awesome little magnum. I have one just like yours and love the wau she feel in my hand. Take her apart and do a thorough cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been, off and on, looking for a beat up one for 5 years.

Locally to me, that would be a $300 gun.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Damn I have one o' those - and some balls caps and powder.  

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10616488_825547894130603_4761025478191750332_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ba80b0&_nc_ohc=9xHr1FtDaVcAX-l5svj&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=951af127dcb5bf2badf28ce79e5f671f&oe=60287EEB

Funny story - was playing with it at the indoor range one day and they had a CCL class going on.   It was like pew pew pew-pewBOOM  ,,,,,,, pew pew BOOM BOOM  pew .......  LOL   The instructor paused the class to come out and as what the fuck was THAT

Pain in the ass to load and shoot and dirty as fuck but fun to run it once in a while.
View Quote

I've been wanting one of those stainless ones for a long while. i was in a bid war and gave up aftet it hit hit 950.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn solid gun OP.  I stupidly sold mine 25 years ago, have regretted it ever since.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one that I won in an auction that was police seized.  The grips were wrapped in electrical tape.  Thankfully there was tissue paper under the tape and the wood grips were fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#24]
What's is up with the thread title? I cant be the only guy to notice, this thread is three pages, and I barely have my grade 10
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Interesting.

https://i.imgur.com/mRGXHun.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2hinB8H.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mK4QIoM.jpg
View Quote

Handmade grips do lower value.
Replacements are easy to find if you don't have the originals.

Blued version of the Old Army bring a premium over the stainless.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
A Security Six was the first gun I took completely apart I could not get back together.  I would like to point out that I was 11 years old.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I owned two of those many years ago.  The last one I sold to may dad for what I paid for it because he was turning 74 and couldn't cycle the slide on his Glock 19 anymore.

It was the last gun he ever bought.

Literally one day after he and I took it to the range for him to see how it shot, he took to  his death bed with cancer.

A couple of weeks before he died, I asked for permission to sell that Security Six to a mutual friend of ours who loved the design.  He was happy knowing it was going to a good home.

R.I.P. dad.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Response from Ruger on cost to refinish;

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is ******

We no longer offer parts and service for this model. You may send in your firearm to our NH facility and we will offer you a replacement model of your choice at a discounted price. Please contact our Customer Service Department for further information and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. For older parts you can check with Jack First, Moyers Gun Repair or Numrich Arms
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice little gun.  Designed by Harry Sefried and partially based on his previous High Standard Sentinel.  Was the first revoler with no side plate.  The Redhawk was a scaled up Security Six.

Today they are considered a little weak for a steady diet of .357.  The follow-on beefier GP100 was designed to address wear out issues.

This thread reminded me that I have a stainless Service Six (fixed site version) which was my late wife's carry gun.  I just found it in the back of one of my safes still loaded.  I forgot how light and slim it was!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#31]
My stainless security six with rubber grips has been sitting in the sage gathering dust. How much are these things going for now a day?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Ruger Six series?  Never heard of them...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not pictured is my Security Six with 2.75" barrel and my Speed Six w/ 3" barrel.  I never could bring myself to buy one in 9mm, moon clips just don't make sense to me...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#33]
It was Ruger's spectacular medium-frame revolver, until they relented to the hot rod "fill the case with 2400 and cram a bullet it" handloaders and chunkified it into the GP100.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#34]
True story:

I had a stainless Security Six and somehow buggered the wood grips by overtightening the screw.  Damn.

The screw hole was ovaled out and wouldn't hold the grips tight anymore.

Since the Security Six had long been discontinued, I thought I was screwed.  This was in the days before the internet.  Shotgun News was the only source of oddball or out-of-date stuff, and even after surfing issues for several months no one was offering a set of grips for the Security Six.

Right before the 1994 AWB, I decided to make the trek to every gun shop in El Paso, Texas to try to get one more AK style rifle before they were all gone due to the expected buying panic.

I didn't find an AK in stock anywhere, but in an out-of-the-way gun shop down a dirty side street I found them.  A set of rubber coated factory Security Six grips.  The package had obviously been there a while.  The blister pack was yellowed and had started coming unglued, but the screw and both grips were there.  IIRC I paid less than ten bucks for them.  The gun shop owner was so happy to get rid of them I thought for a minute he was going to discount them even further.

Those grips were still on the gun when I sold it to a friend several years later.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.
Your Customer Service Issue # is ******

We no longer offer parts and service for this model. You may send in your firearm to our NH facility and we will offer you a replacement model of your choice at a discounted price. Please contact our Customer Service Department for further information and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. For older parts you can check with Jack First, Moyers Gun Repair or Numrich Arms

Disappointing
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top