Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2022 9:57:34 PM EDT
Wife and I try to stay pretty cash positive and stay out of debt. We put 1,000$ per month in our roths So we max both

We have a firm cash “emergency fund” of like 15k that we know we will lose value in inflation. Don’t care.

But our other funds like “having a baby fund”, “saving for a new car fund”, “vacation fund” and “extra retirement savings”

Guys that shit is getting over 30k!

Not wanting to keep that shit in cash and both roths maxed out what do we do?

Do we just create a personal ledger and throw that shit in FNILX in a general fidelity investing account?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry bud
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry bud
View Quote

Sorry what?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Better off with an ETF like VOO in a taxable account.  Fees are more obviously, but negligible.  Mutual Fund will trigger tax events and an ETF can trade like a stock.  Mutual funds trade once a day at 4pm usually so that's the price you get whereas a liquid ETF trades to the second and you trade the price you want or very close to it.  I don't know your risk tolerance or timeline so there may be better choices than VOO, but that's one of the best that tracks the (top wieghted)S&P like FNILX.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Investigate I-Bonds.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
In for opinions as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Investigate I-Bonds.
View Quote

2nd
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wife and I try to stay pretty cash positive and stay out of debt. We put 1,000$ per month in our roths So we max both

We have a firm cash “emergency fund” of like 15k that we know we will lose value in inflation. Don’t care.

But our other funds like “having a baby fund”, “saving for a new car fund”, “vacation fund” and “extra retirement savings”

Guys that shit is getting over 30k!

Not wanting to keep that shit in cash and both roths maxed out what do we do?

Do we just create a personal ledger and throw that shit in FNILX in a general fidelity investing account?
View Quote

Do you have access to 401K, 401A, 403B, and/or 457?

I believe in a 25% savings rate, so $12K into your Roth IRAs annually is sufficient for your first $48K of earnings as a couple.

Where is your “extra retirement savings” going? After maxing other retirement plans available to you, FNILX is a fine option in taxable although many would advise to you use VOO or another fund like FSKAX because FNILX in particular along with the other Fidelity zero funds is proprietary and cannot be transferred to another institution so you would need to sell it incurring capital gains taxes if you ever wanted to change brokers.

All short term expenses you mentioned should only be in cash or I Bonds or CDs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Better off with an ETF like VOO in a taxable account.  Fees are more obviously, but negligible.  Mutual Fund will trigger tax events and an ETF can trade like a stock.  Mutual funds trade once a day at 4pm usually so that's the price you get whereas a liquid ETF trades to the second and you trade the price you want or very close to it.  I don't know your risk tolerance or timeline so there may be better choices than VOO, but that's one of the best that tracks the (top wieghted)S&P like FNILX.
View Quote

Make sure your ETF isn't a publicly traded partnership, or it'll produce a K-1 just like a mutual fund produces a 1099-DIV.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have access to 401K, 401A, 403B, and/or 457?

I believe in a 25% savings rate, so $12K into your Roth IRAs annually is sufficient for your first $48K of earnings as a couple.

Where is your “extra retirement savings” going? After maxing other retirement plans available to you, FNILX is a fine option in taxable although many would advise to you use VOO or another fund like FSKAX because FNILX in particular along with the other Fidelity zero funds is proprietary and cannot be transferred to another institution so you would need to sell it incurring capital gains taxes if you ever wanted to change brokers.

All short term expenses you mentioned should only be in cash or I Bonds or CDs.
View Quote

I have a union mandated vanguard that basically give me 10% additional wages directly into a vanguard account I control and can take with me when I leave but I can not contribute to it.

Wife currently gets nothing from her job.

So we fill our IRA’s and we have just been placing stuff in individual fidelity accounts. Don’t know what else to do.

Also you would like us to save for a car and keep pre-planned baby savings money(lost wages, healthcare etc) in cash on top of a 15k cash emergency fund?

That could total soemthing like 40k in total.

We only make around 120k a year.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a union mandated vanguard that basically give me 10% additional wages directly into a vanguard account I control and can take with me when I leave but I can not contribute to it.

So we fill our IRA’s and we have just been placing stuff in individual fidelity accounts. Don’t know what else to do.

Also you would like us to save for a car and keep pre-planned baby savings money(lost wages, healthcare etc) in cash on top of a 15k cash emergency fund?

View Quote

Yes , those pre planned future liabilities are separate from your emergency fund. You cannot save for a liability less than 5-7 years out (mortgage down, car payment, baby) in equities. The current market is why. Utilize an earmarked savings account, CDs, and I Bonds for those expenses.

“Don’t invest savings for near future < 5 year expenses” is not advice that is unique to me
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

2nd
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Investigate I-Bonds.

2nd

3rd

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
You goto into a taxable brokerage account, but only for cash you intend to invest for 1-year or longer, emergency cash can be kept in the account but in a money-market fund or cash, or t-bills.
Avoid short-term capital gains by holding positions longer than 1 year.

If you're maxxed out on your tax-deferred and/or tax-exempt contributions, there is nothing else you can do, but got into a taxable account and employ a tax-efficient investment strategy that comports with your financial goals and risk tolerances.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]
What's after the IRA?

The IRS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes , those pre planned future liabilities are separate from your emergency fund. You cannot save for a liability less than 5-7 years out (mortgage down, car payment, baby) in equities. The current market is why. Utilize an earmarked savings account, CDs, and I Bonds for those expenses.

“Don’t invest savings for near future < 5 year expenses” is not advice that is unique to me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He CAN put money for those shorter term investments in equities, it's just not advisable due to the risk that equities bring that a dip/crash might result in the money not all being there when the time comes to pull it out and spend it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top