Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2021 5:52:47 PM EDT
I have two oak trees outside right next to each other and one is doing well and the other doesn't seem to be.  Lots of dead branches.  

Is there something that can be done to bring it back, or is it a lost cause?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Any sign of insects, or any fungus or mildew growth on the leaves? Might be worth calling an arborist if you value the tree.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a tree struck by lightning, thought it was a goner. Arborist was able to save the tree.

Yours looks rough but perhaps there is hope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a junky Scarlet. Turn it into firewood.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet she gone.  My understanding is that, generally, once you see that kind of decline, you aren't going to see a recovery.  A local arborist should be able to give you a more definite answer though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If that is your other oak in the background id say one or the other needs to go anyway. They look to be planted pretty close for oaks in general.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The tree in the foreground appears to be a goner.

I'm not going to say it can't be resurrected but it will take care a nurturing and you need to properly identify what is causing it to die and address it. If it's a fungal disease keeping the sick tree around can make it harder to fight the infection in other healthy trees so weigh that decision carefully.

Story time: over a decade ago my first home was in a defunct subdivision (embezzlement, 2007/2008 housing crash, bickering partners, etc did them in). There were many vacant homes, some of disputed ownership, etc. My home was "owned" by the sister of the GC and was foreclosed on. In the back yard was the carcass of a dead oak tree around 8 feet tall. Clearly it had been planted then neglected. A gentle push snapped it off at the ground and toppled it over. That spring, about 10 shoots came up from the roots, I chose the strongest one that was appropriately positioned and cut the rest. As new shoots came up I kept them cut back. Because the rootball was already established the tree was able to put more energy into top growth. The first year that tree was 4 ft tall at least. The next year was met with several more feet of growth. The trend continued as I nurtured that tree and carefully trimmed lower branches as it grew taller (to allow me to walk under it). By the time I sold that house 7 years after buying it the oak tree was at least 15 feet tall and was full and beautiful. Whatever had caused it to die off was no longer an issue.

My tree was much younger, I'm not sure a tree the size of yours could recover in a similar manner.

And while I'm here, PSA, there is a right time of the year and wrong time of the year for pruning. For some reason, beautiful spring weather makes everyone want to get out and do yard work, including pruning of trees. Please DON'T, this is the largest cause of disease infection in ornamental trees. Spring is the worst time to open up a wound (that's what you're doing) on a tree. If you're in a cold climate the coldest part of winter, when fungal spores and insect activities are at their lowest is the best time. In warmer climates it's a bit more of a science and is highly dependent on local climate, but the goal is to do it when fungal spores and insect activity are at their lowest all year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It's trashed. You cant a quarter of the canopy and expect it to recover. You have a trunk of little sucker branches.

I see the roots are all scalped by a mower. Oaks are very bad about open wounds and fungus, so it was probably a combo of shallow root from poor planting or root bound in a pot way back or fungus. Maybe a little of both. Maybe insect as well.

To be safe, drop some of that Bayer insect killer around your good one right now. Whatever may have eaten that one will move over.

That insecticide soaks into the tree and protects it a whole year. I saved, most likely, my one locust with that stuff one spring. Little bugs ate all the new growth. I sprinkled around the base and ran the garden hose quite a bit to soak it in fast.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip
And while I'm here, PSA, there is a right time of the year and wrong time of the year for pruning. For some reason, beautiful spring weather makes everyone want to get out and do yard work, including pruning of trees. Please DON'T, this is the largest cause of disease infection in ornamental trees. Spring is the worst time to open up a wound (that's what you're doing) on a tree. If you're in a cold climate the coldest part of winter, when fungal spores and insect activities are at their lowest is the best time. In warmer climates it's a bit more of a science and is highly dependent on local climate, but the goal is to do it when fungal spores and insect activity are at their lowest all year.
View Quote

I'm far from an expert, but I sat through a class a few years back with a MO Dept. of Conservation arborist dude.  He eluded to timing not being thought to be as critical as it once was.  I don't know if this was his personal opinion or his understanding of industry trends, but he said that though the insects and fungal spores are most active in the pretty spring weather, that is also the trees most active time to heal via the CODIT process.  He did note that was general advice and there were certain species that had much more specific needs.

On a similar note, last summer I attempted to flag all of the dead trees on my property (or at least the ones that were easily accessible).  I got pretty well all of them blocked up for firewood over the winter.  Over the past few weeks I've noticed it appears the ash borers finally moved in.  The noticeable damage that they have done since last summer is considerable.  I shouldn't be surprised, everyone knew it was coming, but dang there's going to be a lot of dead trees.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Its dead Jim.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top