Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Sig or Magnum? Because
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
9mm. Hopefully at least a 17rd mag of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
What one should strive to carry everywhere anyway...

> 380, 38, 32, 22lr

9mm/357sig/40/10mm/45
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sig or Magnum? Because
View Quote

Ha dillon machine go brrtt

Dont most 357 dudes reload anyways?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ha dillon machine go brrtt

Dont most 357 dudes reload anyways?
View Quote

Not when you're just getting into it
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Pack of dogs?

Maybe opt for shotgun with 00 buckshot and start firing into the thickest part of the pack.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
3 pitbulls?

My M&P Shield with 147 grain HST would have been fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Flame thrower
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I say pretty much any rounds you can get on target will do the job, however as someone mentioned, getting a shot on target and not though the neighbors house behind the target may be an issue...

Maybe try a few rounds of "Shot"...  
I hate to use that or even carry it as for other than snakes it normally seems pretty useless.
Either carry a mag of that or Bear Spray, if you feel the need.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Moscow?  You are going to carry a gun there for wild pitbulls?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock in 9 - 40 - 45 - 10 will do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's amazingly hard to kill attacking dogs in many situations with a pistol.

Impact weapons work well against a single animal in my experience. Think more like a Louisville Slugger rather than a rolled up newspaper level of effort required.
View Quote

We make those here!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We make those here!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's amazingly hard to kill attacking dogs in many situations with a pistol.

Impact weapons work well against a single animal in my experience. Think more like a Louisville Slugger rather than a rolled up newspaper level of effort required.

We make those here!

We have some of the mini-bats from the factory tour. They would make perfect dog thumping tools.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
9mm. Hopefully at least a 17rd mag of it.
View Quote

It took me about 8 to get a huge pit bull to back off.
Ran away and croaked

He was 5ft away so I didn't miss
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Hexolit 32
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to kill 2 javelinas that had my dog by the throat with my nightstand 9mm. 124gr gold dots did just fine. Both kill shots came when the animal stopped moving for a second.

Based on that experience I’d rather have 00buck for a pack of aggressive dogs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Dont laugh but fire extinguishers ( powder or co2 ) are terrifying to dogs !

Amazingly effective. To all the pack - not just the one sprayed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pack of dogs?

Maybe opt for shotgun with 00 buckshot and start firing into the thickest part of the pack.
View Quote

My choice too.  Vicious animals need to experience the afterlife.

N-B-4 muh baby didn't do nuffin.

God speed on his recovery.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I would agree with a 12 gauge for a pack of dogs (or ANTIFA, same thing), if you can get to one. Aside from that, I'd say pistol in one hand and a blunt object, like a small bat or pipe, in the other.

I've seen videos of some rather large animals take multiple shots - like humans - to take them down. There's one floating around about a lion that absorbed several rounds from powerful rifles before he finally went down (about three feet from a man).
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#24]
#4 buck probably.  Or BBB.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#25]
For pistols the answer is always 10mm . . .
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#26]
The last dog I shot was dropped DRT with a 230gr Winchester Ranger-T.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#27]
buckshot, semi auto
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#28]
All of them. In rapid succession.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I once shot a pit bull as it lunged for me.  The bullet went in on the side of the nose, out under the jaw, into the front shoulder and out that same 'elbow' joint.  The dog lived, but it stopped it's attack immediately.

Cops showed up, gang members showed up, threats were made, cops told me I'm in deep trouble...  We moved.  Dog killed another little dog and was put down.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Swedish K
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I once shot a pit bull as it lunged for me.  The bullet went in on the side of the nose, out under the jaw, into the front shoulder and out that same 'elbow' joint.  The dog lived, but it stopped it's attack immediately.

Cops showed up, gang members showed up, threats were made, cops told me I'm in deep trouble...  We moved.  Dog killed another little dog and was put down.
View Quote

I'm not super confident in my ability to hit a dog on the move, but my usual answer is whatever you feel comfortable holding off the now pissed-off owner with.

Where we usually are, my plan if I drop a dog is to grab pictures of it (or any blood) on the road as proof it wasn't on private property. Then call animal control.  We've chatted with them before, and the people we have trouble with are "known" to them, but they can't do anything unless they see the dog off private property.

As for a pack of wild dogs, probably best to either have a lot of ammo and shoot fast, or become scarier to them.  No great options.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Mostly just a scoped .22.....We had a big wild dog problem on one of our hunting leases when we took it over. It took a good year to thin them out. The most I counted in the pack was 30-odd dogs on a dead deer on the property. I picked-out and killed four of the biggest of that bunch with a old Savage semi-auto .22. I was squirrel hunting at the time.

I suspect about 1/3rd of them were hangers-on from the subdivision that bordered the property. I'd not shoot any with a collar if I could avoid it but shit happens.  

The Sherriff even called the president of the HOA (it was a liberal enclave even back in the 70s) and told him if they did not keep their dogs on their property they were in danger of getting shot.....Different times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#33]
None. All you have to do is expose your balls. The dog will promptly back down. Usually..  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Moving targets = 00B.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Not a handgun round but .300 Blackout worked well for me when three broke through a weak point in my fence and killed my wife's Chickens.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

First post
140gr xtps @1140fps
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not super confident in my ability to hit a dog on the move, but my usual answer is whatever you feel comfortable holding off the now pissed-off owner with.

Where we usually are, my plan if I drop a dog is to grab pictures of it (or any blood) on the road as proof it wasn't on private property. Then call animal control.  We've chatted with them before, and the people we have trouble with are "known" to them, but they can't do anything unless they see the dog off private property.

As for a pack of wild dogs, probably best to either have a lot of ammo and shoot fast, or become scarier to them.  No great options.
View Quote

Yeah, that's exactly what happened next.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#38]
taurus judge would take them in one shot
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Arfcom’s most beloved weapon: shotgun
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#40]
WTF... why do you have to mention pit bulls specifically. Stop maligning the breed. Pit bulls can be excellent and friendly family pets. Dumbasses who train them to be vicious are the problem.

As far as how to deal with a dog attack... unprovoked, not trespassing,... a pack of wild dogs... use what you have. If you’re choosing what you carry so you can shoot a pack of dogs then maybe you should just call animal control now based on a credible threat. What is the basis of this question?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep telling you guys.

X15 Flamethrower vs. XL18 Flamethrower | Throwflame Comparison
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#42]
pack?  I'd want a 9mm with good self defense stuff and a shitload of ammo.

I have had to shoot at a dog once,  it was leaping at me and I missed under it's jaw and a distance of about maybe 8 feet.  

I didn't hit it but the blast in the face turned the dog around
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Id think 9mm would be best.

Athens Greece had wild dogs all over the city back in 1999.
We gave one a french fry once and it adopted us and kept other dogs away.  There was a transportation strike at the time so walking was unavoidable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#44]
If I was ever in a situation where I found myself being pursued by a pack of dogs I would want my 12ga with 00 Buck.

Meat from bone!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
WTF... why do you have to mention pit bulls specifically. Stop maligning the breed. Pit bulls can be excellent and friendly family pets. Dumbasses who train them to be vicious are the problem.

As far as how to deal with a dog attack... unprovoked, not trespassing,... a pack of wild dogs... use what you have. If you’re choosing what you carry so you can shoot a pack of dogs then maybe you should just call animal control now based on a credible threat. What is the basis of this question?
View Quote

Well, it's not like anyone ever has issues with pit bulls, I've had issues with angry chihuahuas before, but managed to flick them away with my booger hook.

You ever deal with animal control?  They aren't exactly staffed for instant response.  Far as I've ever figured out, they are good for establishing a paper trail that certain... owners... get a lot of complaints.  And the more paper trail I have when I have an aggressive dog I had to kill, the better.  Yes, we have an aggressive, loose dog problem near us.  Haven't had any come after me on the road since yesterday, so there's that.

No, I don't mean my neighbor's dogs.  He is the type to make sure they stay in, and was very sorry when one of them dug into ours.  Never mind that she was very loud while staying far away from me.  Felt bad for her, actually.  She was just scared.  Pretty sure all bark, no bite.  But she knows us.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#46]
It would be a good situation for a high capacity SMG.  Fast moving small targets in close.  

FN should market the P90 for cops that want to shoot dogs.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
buckshot, semi auto
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#48]
There is a Mossberg 590 by the kitchen door for just such an occasion.  It replaced the .270 when they built a subdivision down the road and denied my backstop.  

Idiots dump dogs here constantly.  I would not even bother with a pistol unless I was working in the yard.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#49]
.357SIG

”The Virginia State Police has reported that attacking dogs have been stopped dead in their tracks by a single shot, whereas the former 147 grain 9 mm duty rounds would require multiple shots to incapacitate the animals.”
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because pitbulls are a different breed. I know what I would chose for other dogs. And Pitbulls are more aggressive than most breeds.

Large guard dogs like GSD or Great Pyreneese, generally wont attack in a pack unless you are in their area, and for those I'd pick a different gun. Those dogs are not as compact muscle and show value in their own lives, pitbulls and bulldogs dont give a fuck.

My experience having been around all sorts in all sorts of scenarios
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top