BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ryan curling up and crying in a foxhole had no direct effects on any of the other soldiers.  He gets a pass.
View Quote

I think he was also out of ammo. He had been asking for bandoliers, but I don't think anyone gave him any. He couldn't do anything.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ryan curling up and crying in a foxhole had no direct effects on any of the other soldiers.  He gets a pass.
View Quote

Ryan was a hard charger that fought beside his fellow soldiers. He got overwhelmed and shut down for a moment.

Upham was a fucking coward. A total failure. He sat on those stairs and cried like a bitch.

The main reason why most people hate Upham is because they are afraid of him. For most people combat is a great unknown. Everyone thinks they would be a hero but there is that little bit of self doubt. Upham is the personification of that self doubt. The untested are scared shitless that if the time ever comes for them to stand up they end up crying on the stairs like Upham.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ryan was a hard charger that fought beside his fellow soldiers. He got overwhelmed and shut down for a moment.

Upham was a fucking coward. A total failure. He sat on those stairs and cried like a bitch.

The main reason why most people hate Upham is because they are afraid of him. For most people combat is a great unknown. Everyone thinks they would be a hero but there is that little bit of self doubt. Upham is the personification of that self doubt. The untested are scared shitless that if the time ever comes for them to stand up they end up crying on the stairs like Upham.
View Quote

That is a good way to put it, and he’s still a fucking bitch.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is a good way to put it, and he’s still a fucking bitch.
View Quote

Most have no idea how they would react in a high stress situation with lives on the line.
Huge numbers of cops, EMTs, Firefighters, and yes, soldiers find out they aren't as badass as they thought when they see the elephant for the first time. Last I looked around half of the first responders quit within a year or two.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Came here to to this.

“I hate Bruce Dern!”
View Quote

he was perfect in the Burbs.
he gets a pass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Skyler bitch from BB.

Ben Mendlesohn (sp) from Bloodline; I was overjoyed when he was killed.  He was loathsome in one of the Star Wars movie; I'll never watch it again so don't give a shit.  He did a good job in Captain Marvel.  He was also one of the last bad guys to die in Quigley.

Charlotte, the daughter in Ozark, although she's moderated it quite a bit in S3.

I won't watch anything with Adam Sandler, the "I don't believe you" .gif guy and a couple others I don't recall right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]

I was just thinking of this character the other day.

My contribution is Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Killing John Wayne in the movie "The Cowboys" was supposed to be responsible for killing Bruce Derns acting career. He even got actual death threats for killing him.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I never really cared for Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies.

Jethrine on the other hand was an absolute delight.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think the reason Upham hate exists is because he heard his team mate crying for help and did nothing.

The reason he died is because Upham did nothing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Johann folded momentarily like Upham, Ryan, and Blythe in various war movies. IMO, the Upham hate is pointless.

I think the reason Upham hate exists is because he heard his team mate crying for help and did nothing.

The reason he died is because Upham did nothing.

Upham was a passive, intellectual, Clerk Typist who never claimed to be anything else. He went on that mission reluctantly and was given the most dangerous job for the final battle. He wasn't a Ranger or even a Rifleman, which matters when the shit hits the fan. The insubordination of some of the guys in that squad was unbelievable; they pissed me off more than Upham did.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Michael Keaton's ATF agent character in Jackie brown.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:16:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Michael Keaton's ATF agent character in Jackie brown.
View Quote
And Jackie played him like a harmonica.

He played another dickish ATF(is there any other kind?) agent in Out of Touch.

He played straight man to Dennis Farinas' (RIP)hard old street cop.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
He was an FBI agent in Out of Sight.
But the reason he seemed so similar to his role in Jackie Brown was because it literally was the same character.
Farina even has a line about him transfering from the ATF.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I truly despised Demi Moore’s character in the movie Disclosure.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.sliders-dimension.de/Timer/Bilder/JensensTimer/jensen_erfinder001.jpg

Colonel Angus Rickman made me hate Roger Daltrey.
View Quote

Sliders.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Upham was a passive, intellectual, Clerk Typist who never claimed to be anything else. He went on that mission reluctantly and was given the most dangerous job for the final battle. He wasn't a Ranger or even a Rifleman, which matters when the shit hits the fan. The insubordination of some of the guys in that squad was unbelievable; they pissed me off more than Upham did.
View Quote

The spread of reactions to Upham, interestingly, jives with the entire point of the screenplay - to show the wide, sometimes tragic, sometimes heroic, sometimes noble and sometimes petty/evil reactions to combat that men can have. Look at the movie with that in mind, and you'll see it all - from stoic men who aren't affected much at all outwardly, to sensitive people who it affects grievously, and sometimes a mix of those reactions in the same person. The movie goes to great, obvious links to demonstrate this....from the soldiers shooting the polish surrendering troops and mocking their attempts, to the tragedy of trying to save the little girl only to die for the effort.

Steamboat Willie is a far more despicable character than Upham....he's an opportunist who tries to manipulate the Americans into feeling pity for him, doing anything he can to survive, but when given the opportunity shoots the men who let him go without remorse. Upham is only murderous when he sees this in Willie, before that (even if it was misguided) he was ok with Willie being let go. Willie wouldn't have been that generous, obviously. Hating Upham for his weakness, but not thinking Willie is the bad guy in the film is a telling conceit. Upham broke, but he wasn't a bad person...he was not meant for what he lived through, and that hurt the men he was with, too. Willie was meant for combat, and was cold hearted, Upham should have never been forced into combat, and it had consequences.

Wouldn't have been much different if they put a combat helmet on the little girl and she bailed on saving someone, really.

Hating Upham is to not understand the movie, at all. He was a tragic character, not a despicable one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Wesley Crusher
Whoopi Goldberg alien thing character
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The spread of reactions to Upham, interestingly, jives with the entire point of the screenplay - to show the wide, sometimes tragic, sometimes heroic, sometimes noble and sometimes petty/evil reactions to combat that men can have. Look at the movie with that in mind, and you'll see it all - from stoic men who aren't affected much at all outwardly, to sensitive people who it affects grievously, and sometimes a mix of those reactions in the same person. The movie goes to great, obvious links to demonstrate this....from the soldiers shooting the polish surrendering troops and mocking their attempts, to the tragedy of trying to save the little girl only to die for the effort.

Steamboat Willie is a far more despicable character than Upham....he's an opportunist who tries to manipulate the Americans into feeling pity for him, doing anything he can to survive, but when given the opportunity shoots the men who let him go without remorse. Upham is only murderous when he sees this in Willie, before that (even if it was misguided) he was ok with Willie being let go. Willie wouldn't have been that generous, obviously. Hating Upham for his weakness, but not thinking Willie is the bad guy in the film is a telling conceit. Upham broke, but he wasn't a bad person...he was not meant for what he lived through, and that hurt the men he was with, too. Willie was meant for combat, and was cold hearted, Upham should have never been forced into combat, and it had consequences.

Wouldn't have been much different if they put a combat helmet on the little girl and she bailed on saving someone, really.

Hating Upham is to not understand the movie, at all. He was a tragic character, not a despicable one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When people hate on Upham in these threads, what they're really saying is, "Oh yeah, I could expose myself to enemy fire and hump that ammo to every position that needs it, and then put it down on a stairway, kick open a door and kill the Kraut(s) in that room."
We'd all like to think we could but no one knows for sure.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wesley Crusher
Whoopi Goldberg alien thing character
View Quote

I don't like will Wheaton either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I never liked Sean Penn as an actor, even the stoner guy he played that’s a meme I hated but he really made me hate him as the Snowman in Falcon and the Snowman.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Joffery from GoT.
View Quote

I liked him.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:35:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I did hate Little Bill. A coward if ever there was one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:37:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's an easy one but Neelix in Star Trek Voyager.  The character added nothing to the show.

https://www.startrek.com/sites/default/files/styles/content_full/public/images/inline/2019-01/81cf55ca05da3c9c7b712f4e8c806015.jpg?itok=406fU6AQ
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:37:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Colin Farrell’s character in Minority Report.

A Pompous prick trying to play a tough guy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you get to meet his 16 year old wife?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I never liked Sean Penn as an actor, even the stoner guy he played that’s a meme I hated but he really made me hate him as the Snowman in Falcon and the Snowman.
View Quote

He is good at playing POS's like the shyster in Carlito's way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here's one:

Danny McBride in 'This Is The End'.
View Quote

He redeems himself in that film by what he does to Channing Tatum.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I did hate Little Bill. A coward if ever there was one.
View All Quotes

He has unlikable qualities, but I never thought of him as cowardly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He has unlikable qualities, but I never thought of him as cowardly.
View Quote
He just ain't no carpenter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I literally hate everyone named Raymond.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I hated that lying ass sneaky slimey scumbag with a passion!!!! I hoped that'd pack up and leave whatever planet they were on while he was asleep outside on the ground!!! Another fuckin retard I despised was Fuckin Gilligan!! What a " Fuck Up " that shitbag was !! The castaways could have been rescued how many times but weren't because that Fuckwad screwed up something at the last minute!!  
View Quote

Not Gilligan's fault.  It was the professor that screwed up every rescue effort.

Gilligan is getting cornholed in a hammock every night by the Skipper.   This means that the Skipper's "little buddy" has a sense of balance and equilibrium all messed up, and the Prof KNOWS THIS - (no secrets on a desert island) - but suggests that Gilligan  fly the rocket pack "because he is lightest".

Now, why is the Professor sabotaging every effort to get off the island?

As above, the Skipper (old sailor) is sodomizing Gilligan, (and beating him), and Gilligan is trying to run away from his non-consensual sadistic homosexual attention.  Mrs. Howell has nothing better to do than keep an eye on Mr. Howell.  So this leave the Professor alone with - who?  Ginger AND Mary Anne - just like it says in the theme song.

Hell the Professor doesn't WANT to get off the island.  That is why a man that can make a Geiger counter out of sea water and a coconut can't fix a 3 foot hole in a wooden boat on an island that has trees.

[PaulHarvey]And now you know ... the REST of the story.  Good day.[/PaulHarvey]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I always hate the women who get in a man's business.

Skyler White

Dexter's TV wife

I only watched one season of Homeland. I could not stand the girl who played the daughter of Damien Lewis's character because she wouldn't mind her own fuckin' business.

View Quote

Skyler White and Dexter’s wife really got under my skin. For most of the show I was hoping they would be “removed”, only got half my wish.

Told my wife if she acted like them it would be over real fast. I think she would very much be on my side though if either of those show plots were my life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:21:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not Gilligan's fault.  It was the professor that screwed up every rescue effort.

Gilligan is getting cornholed in a hammock every night by the Skipper.   This means that the Skipper's "little buddy" has a sense of balance and equilibrium all messed up, and the Prof KNOWS THIS - (no secrets on a desert island) - but suggests that Gilligan  fly the rocket pack "because he is lightest".

Now, why is the Professor sabotaging every effort to get off the island?

As above, the Skipper (old sailor) is sodomizing Gilligan, (and beating him), and Gilligan is trying to run away from his non-consensual sadistic homosexual attention.  Mrs. Howell has nothing better to do than keep an eye on Mr. Howell.  So this leave the Professor alone with - who?  Ginger AND Mary Anne - just like it says in the theme song.

Hell the Professor doesn't WANT to get off the island.  That is why a man that can make a Geiger counter out of sea water and a coconut can't fix a 3 foot hole in a wooden boat on an island that has trees.

[PaulHarvey]And now you know ... the REST of the story.  Good day.[/PaulHarvey]
View Quote

Omfg.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Lori Grimes.  Fucking CUNT.

Segestes in Barbarians.  Fuck that dude.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Aunt Bee is a cunt
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#38]
The prison warden in escape plan. Jim Caviezel
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He is good at playing POS's like the shyster in Carlito's way.
View Quote

WTF?!?!?!?!? One of my favorite movie. I never put it together that the lawyer was Sean Penn. How????? I am ashamed
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Aunt Bee is a cunt
View Quote

Aunt Bee put out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

No matter how many times I watch it, I still smile at the end.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#42]
These fellas got what they deserved:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And Ramsay Snow from GoT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joffery from GoT.
And Ramsay Snow from GoT

Ramsay Snow...the one instance in which the T.V./movie character is BETTER than the book.

No shit, there I was...playing the Telltale GoT game...happily making choices that probably don't matter in the end anyway, as anyone who has played a Telltale game can attest...when BAM! Ramsey Fucking Snow shows up...at which point I knew I was fucked.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

One line from the book needed to be in that scene. Warden sends a guard through the tunnel, guard complains that it stinks. Then "OH SHIT, IT'S SHIT!!!"
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Ron Pearlman's character in SOA, Clay Morrow.

I just wanted to see him suffer after being such a slimeball.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

One line from the book needed to be in that scene. Warden sends a guard through the tunnel, guard complains that it stinks. Then "OH SHIT, IT'S SHIT!!!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What movie is that?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What movie is that?
View Quote

The Shawshank Redemption
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Just remembered this guy.  Guy Pearce in Lawless.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top