User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No need to triangulate them. Just look for the 2004 Ford Escape with six antennas on it and bumper stickers representing every wannabe pseudo-first responder group in your area. If you're lucky there will also be decals all over the vehicle that say "Keep Back K9" with a half retarded golden retriever mix hanging its big drooling water head out the back window.

Super ARES SkyWarn Search and Rescue RACES Admiral, reporting for duty!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triangulate one of them first. Sit near their house lol

No need to triangulate them. Just look for the 2004 Ford Escape with six antennas on it and bumper stickers representing every wannabe pseudo-first responder group in your area. If you're lucky there will also be decals all over the vehicle that say "Keep Back K9" with a half retarded golden retriever mix hanging its big drooling water head out the back window.

Super ARES SkyWarn Search and Rescue RACES Admiral, reporting for duty!

Lol we have a few around with front plates with HAM stuff on too. Maybe their handles. Gotta check next time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Old retired guys with direction finding and triangulation gear have no end of fun hunting down unlicensed transmitters - truly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do they catch you if you use one unlicensed?

Old retired guys with direction finding and triangulation gear have no end of fun hunting down unlicensed transmitters - truly.
What stops you from looking up someone else with your same first name and a call sign on the FCC page and calling that out when needed?

I'm not suggesting it. But it would seem like an easy way to throw off the old guys who are annoyed that you're interrupted their prostate discussions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't think the FCC is doing too much about it anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fox hunting isn't as fun if the fox is comfortable being an outlaw and willing to break a few more laws when confronted by busybody radio fudds.

Wait.....would they be called Elmer Fudds?

Feel free to ignore the FCC fines as well.  Quite the hill to die on.

I don't think the FCC is doing too much about it anymore.
When you look at the FCC announcements on enforcement actions and fines, it usually is some guy who has been repeatedly warned, over and over and given many opportunities to knock it off. It seems like they've poked the bear again and again before it finally gets mad.

Now, if you start transmitting on unencrypted EMS, fire or police freqs, that probably escalates the bear poking much more quickly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What stops you from looking up someone else with your same first name and a call sign on the FCC page and calling that out when needed?

I'm not suggesting it. But it would seem like an easy way to throw off the old guys who are annoyed that you're interrupted their prostate discussions.
View Quote

You going to hop on he local repeater and pretend to be Larry, the guy who Joe has known for years?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess I should have said on the 'same radio'.  The HAM can bring 2 radios, one for HAM and another for FRS.  Not very interoperable.

If I am wrong, show me a current radio I can buy certified for HAM and FRS.   And go ahead and cite more examples from  'A lot of what I am claiming is not true'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of what you are claiming is not true.
Quoted:
HAM license holders are not allowed to transmit to FRS, GMRS or MURS either so there is no interoperability.

Like that.  Holding an amateur license does not prohibit you from transmitting on non-amateur bands.  Any person can transmit on FRS or MURS bands with equipment that is part-certified for whatever band you're transmitting on.  You can have both an amateur license and a GMRS license (or be covered by someone else's GMRS license) and use equipment that is part-certified for GMRS without any legal issue.
I guess I should have said on the 'same radio'.  The HAM can bring 2 radios, one for HAM and another for FRS.  Not very interoperable.

If I am wrong, show me a current radio I can buy certified for HAM and FRS.   And go ahead and cite more examples from  'A lot of what I am claiming is not true'.

You simply can't have a radio that is both HAM and FRS certified. The requirements of FRS preclude it.
On any radio certified for FRS use the antenna must be no larger than 1/2 dipole and NON-removable
The 2019 rule change also precludes the certification on any radio that can transmit on any other licensed or licensed by rule service.

FRS is mutually exclusive with every other type.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You going to hop on he local repeater and pretend to be Larry, the guy who Joe has known for years?
View Quote

No, but if a new guy hops on the repeater, starts making contacts and says, "I'm Bob Johnson, K5ZLZ. Just moved here from Mississippi. How y'all doing?", it's probably going to work, at least for a while.

This is an actual name and license that I randomly looked up on the FCC ULS page.

ETA: My point is that it's much easier to spoof someone else's identity and credentials and just completely avoid the issue of getting vindictive fox-hunters looking for you for fun and profit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Came to mention Moto DTRs, saw they were.

Those are the best known 900MHz 1 Watt class radios (anything in that bin is license free.)

There is an older radio no longer in production, the TriSquare eXRS, that's also a 900 MHz 1 Watt radio.

Both the DTR and XRS are spread spectrum units with a large number of scrambling codes that effectively make they private comms outside of large government agencies.

There are a few hobby-type units also on the 900 MHz band that offer texting capabilities using 900 MHz LoRa radios which are 100mW and also spread spectrum. Example
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sheesh! Buy you books and buy you books and all you do is chew the covers.
View Quote

And spend your lunch money on dope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

On the other hand, some death squad could go after every last person on 14.313 and I'd make my peace with it in less time than it takes to have a pizza delivered in Minecraft.
View Quote

But that's the official 20 meter antenna tuning and CW practice frequency!

I have heard that occasionally a holdout Japanese corporal sends out messages on that frequency.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everyone should own a decent 2W FRS radio and a programmable HAM (Baofeng or better).  Get both.   If you don't have a HAM license you can't legally press the transmit button on the Baofeng outside of an emergency, so it would not be advisable anywhere you could be observed doing so.  If you do have a HAM license, there is no way to remain anonymous.   FRS is the most common and interoperable radio to use at a public event where you need to transmit and receive and do it anonymously while being compliant with FCC laws.  Please feel free to question or challenge anything in this post, as I am interested in getting it right.

HAM

A HAM type radio should only be used if every individual you will be communicating with has a HAM license.  The include most of the programmable Baofeng radios.  Possession and listen-only use is allowed, but an unlicensed person may not transmit on a HAM radio, including the unlicensed bands like FRS, GMRS and MURS.   HAM license holders are not allowed to transmit to FRS, GMRS or MURS either so there is no interoperability.  HAM transmissions require your Id to be transmitted at least every 10 minutes.  These Id's are easily looked up in the internet to show the name and address of the license holder.  HAM has networks of repeaters available in many areas.
  •             Large number of Frequencies and bands available depending on License level
  •             most common for handheld is VHF and UHF
  •             Many listen only frequencies (VHF Police, EMS, NOAA)
  •             Requires License and Test  $35 for 10 years
  •             Licenses are registered and easily searched on the Internet with name/address
  •             Must transmit your id/call sign when using every 10 minutes
  •             Cannot legally transmit on FRS, GMRS, MURS
  •             HAM frequencies are monitored for unauthorized use by volunteers
  •             HF allows longer range transmission than any other type
  •             Anyone can transmit on HAM frequencies in an Emergency

FRS

Most common and easy to find in blister-pack retail radios.  No license and can be used anonymously without transmitted a federal registered and searchable Id.
  •             No license required, most common type owned by unlicensed people
  •             radio must be certified under USC 47 Part 95.
  •             Antenna is NOT removable/upgradable
  •             0.5 - 2W max output depending on channels
  •             22 UHF Frequencies  in 462.x & 467.x MHz

GMRS

This is a licensed radio that is probably best for farm and family use.  Its not as common as FRS, and requires a federal Id to be transmitted for compliant use.
  •             $70 license required for 'extended family' use, good for 10 years
  •             Must transmit your id/call sign when using (every 15 minutes)
  •             Licenses are registered and easily searched on the Internet with name/address
  •             radio must be certified under USC 47 Part 95.
  •             Antenna is removable/upgradable
  •             30 UHF channels  in 462.x & 467.x MHz
  •             5-50W max output depending on channel

MURS

MURS is a less common unlicensed(anonymous) option like FRS.  The radios may not be in every box store.  The main advantage over FRS is better antenna options and they use VHF frequencies that carry over longer distances than UHF options like FRS and GMRS for the same power options.
  •             No license required
  •             Data transmission is allowed
  •             5 VHF Channels  in 151.x & 154.x MHz
  •             2W max power output

CB

CB is an older technology. The antennas are longer due to the lower frequencies.  Handheld radios cost a bit more then other options.

•             No license required
  •             40 Channels in 27.x MHz
  •             Optimal Antenna length is 9 feet or a short coil type

View Quote

Look at Gotenna products if you want to work as a group in an encrypted way. This will allow communication and tracking of your group on a map.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If my kids each have blister pack radios and I have my baofeng with a big whip antenna on it programmed to the same frequency so I can keep track of them from farther out.....does anyone care?
View Quote

VERY doubtful. I don't think anyone cares.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also goTenna mesh network.

https://gotennamesh.com/products/mesh?utm_source=internal-link&utm_medium=menu&utm_campaign=gotenna.com

One advantage to this is you won't be seen using a "radio", since it works with your cell phone.
View Quote

You do bring up a downside-if you are using a phone, that means you are pinging cell towers. I don't know of a way to not make your phone communicate with towers that will also allow the bluetooth connection to the Gotenna.

This is how many of the capitol protesters were arrested.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don’t think the FCC is doing too much about it anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fox hunting isn't as fun if the fox is comfortable being an outlaw and willing to break a few more laws when confronted by busybody radio fudds.

I don’t think the FCC is doing too much about it anymore.

But when they do they come down with the 10 million trillion ton shithammer. Fines can be pretty outrageous when they decide to levee them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
HAM Fudds have entered the chat.

The shit some people care about is incredible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone want some old GM 300s lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, but if a new guy hops on the repeater, starts making contacts and says, "I'm Bob Johnson, K5ZLZ. Just moved here from Mississippi. How y'all doing?", it's probably going to work, at least for a while.

This is an actual name and license that I randomly looked up on the FCC ULS page.

ETA: My point is that it's much easier to spoof someone else's identity and credentials and just completely avoid the issue of getting vindictive fox-hunters looking for you for fun and profit.
View Quote

Or....and it’s a crazy idea I admit....spend a few hours studying to get your license.

But I guess some guys really want to choose shitty hills to die on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I went to the local gun range and those Fudds there wouldn't modify my AR to shoot full auto.  Why do they care what I do with it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I went to the local gun range and those Fudds there wouldn't modify my AR to shoot full auto.  Why do they care what I do with it?
View Quote

Neither should be an issue. Definitely a fudd.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you drilled your lowers yet?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah glad to see you agree with the NFA tax and restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that it exists and violating it is illegal and thus foolish.  

But since you've turned the corner, I see that you disagree with property rights.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The only point I have is this: If you wait until you need radio coms to try and figure out radio coms...you're fucked.

All the youtube videos and online info will be gone. If you seriously believe radio coms will be necessary for you in a shtf scenario...you better spend the time and effort while you can.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But since you've turned the corner, I see that you disagree with property rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You do bring up a downside-if you are using a phone, that means you are pinging cell towers. I don't know of a way to not make your phone communicate with towers that will also allow the bluetooth connection to the Gotenna.

View Quote

Use a non-sim tablet running adroid.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My philosophy is quite simple -- don't give the government any rope to hang you with. They'll dig and dig trying to find any legal dirt on you if you are on their radar. Why not dot your i's and cross your t's, even if you don't agree with the laws?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My philosophy is quite simple -- don't give the government any rope to hang you with. They'll dig and dig trying to find any legal dirt on you if you are on their radar. Why not dot your i's and cross your t's, even if you don't agree with the laws?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not saying one should or shouldn’t. Just that I don’t really care for those who go after ones who don’t and aren’t harming anyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Everyone should have a couple or five BaoFengs that are programed with FRS/GMRS and local ham frequencies.

CHIRP has FRS/GMRS channels ready to load and you can find all the other frequencies in your area on https://www.radioreference.com/

Listening is not illegal. I live in the country and I can her chatter on mine. When I roll into the city I can hear all kinds of talking. Mostly on FRS.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What do you speak of?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you speak of?

All of the RF spectrum in the country is owned by someone.  

Large chunks are licensed exclusively to individual companies, this is how your phone works.  Because T-Mobile paid to have exclusive use of a chunk of band for their use.  AT&T did the same.  Heck, Sprint bought Nextel because of their license not their business.

Then the government owns a lot.  Some of it they keep to themselves, such as the 700MHz public safety band.  Other pieces are carved out for use under specific rules.  Just as you can't use a public walking trail for your own motocross track, you can't use a 50 watt radio on the FRS channel.

The amateur radio community has, since radios existed, had access internationally to specific portions of spectrum.  Insisting you can use their spectrum without meeting the really low rules to do so because it's an affront to your....freedom I guess...is little different than demanding to build a shed in the city park because you disagree with the park's rules.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Large chunks are licensed exclusively to individual companies, this is how your phone works.  Because T-Mobile paid to have exclusive use of a chunk of band for their use.  AT&T did the same.  Heck, Sprint bought Nextel because of their license not their business.

Then the government owns a lot.  Some of it they keep to themselves, such as the 700MHz public safety band.  Other pieces are carved out for use under specific rules.  Just as you can't use a public walking trail for your own motocross track, you can't use a 50 watt radio on the FRS channel.

The amateur radio community has, since radios existed, had access internationally to specific portions of spectrum.  Insisting you can use their spectrum without meeting the really low rules to do so because it's an affront to your....freedom I guess...is little different than demanding to build a shed in the city park because you disagree with the park's rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you speak of?

Actually yea I see where you are coming from. I guess I was just looking at it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Fuck the FCC.  Do what you want.  The FCC isn't going to fly someone out to your neck of the woods because Billy Bob is talking to his friend on a baofeng.  The only way you will get in trouble is if you're jamming some frequency someone actually cares about.  Find some freq no one gives a shit about and go about your business.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Since the democrats took over, laws mean nothing any more!
View Quote

This.
How many years have we complained about cussing, playing music, singing, and general asshattery on the ham bands only to be met with silence.
Broadcast what you want. Don’t use a call sign, talk in code. They don’t seem to care.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.
How many years have we complained about cussing, playing music, singing, and general asshattery on the ham bands only to be met with silence.
Broadcast what you want. Don’t use a call sign, talk in code. They don’t seem to care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the democrats took over, laws mean nothing any more!

This.

Bring attention to a means of communication that the tech giants don't control and get it destroyed.  Thanks bud.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are they going to do, confiscate your baofeng?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you have five figures to pay fines.  I chose the $15 test instead.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All of the bitter assholes that hold licenses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is going to coming to get me if I key up my Baofang?

Doubt they can get the battery changed in their Rascal to come get me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Or....and it's a crazy idea I admit....spend a few hours studying to get your license.

But I guess some guys really want to choose shitety hills to die on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or....and it's a crazy idea I admit....spend a few hours studying to get your license.

But I guess some guys really want to choose shitety hills to die on.
Fully agree. General class ticket here.

It's sometimes interesting to look at ways to get around security and rules and so on. Even if you're not planning on it yourself, it can help defend/mitigate against others.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh good grief.

Did you read about the countless hunters who are fined each year for talking on gmrs radios without licenses?   Me either.

I paid my 15 bucks too just so I can tie up the 2m repeater discussing my enlarged prostate and those dang digital buzzing sounds on this repeater. It's not real ham radio!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh good grief.

Did you read about the countless hunters who are fined each year for talking on gmrs radios without licenses?   Me either.

I paid my 15 bucks too just so I can tie up the 2m repeater discussing my enlarged prostate and those dang digital buzzing sounds on this repeater. It's not real ham radio!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh good grief.

While GMRS does require a license it’s closer to CB and FRS in all practicality.  As long as you really don’t go out of your way they are “nobody cares” frequencies.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://gotennamesh.com/products/mesh?utm_source=internal-link&utm_medium=menu&utm_campaign=gotenna.com

One advantage to this is you won't be seen using a "radio", since it works with your cell phone.

On my phone if I turn on airplane mode then turn on bluetooth only the bluetooth comes on, the wifi and cell service stays off.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oh good grief.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh good grief.

Apparently marine band radios (nowhere near a navigable body of water) are popular with them as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t see the benefit of this.
It seems to just text. And doesn’t Bluetooth have a very limited range?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s Bluetooth to the Gotenna which then uses a publicly available 900MHz spectrum space (the same one that cordless phones use).  The message can then get relayed across a mesh of multiple devices if the sender and recipient don’t have direct LOS.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

While GMRS does require a license it's closer to CB and FRS in all practicality.  As long as you really don't go out of your way they are "nobody cares" frequencies.
View Quote
"I agree that it exists and violating it is illegal and thus foolish."

Nobody cares until they do.  If they observe you doing it, because it has become your habit, then they can use it against you.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Or....and it’s a crazy idea I admit....spend a few hours studying to get your license.

But I guess some guys really want to choose shitty hills to die on.
View Quote

I have never understood that. They will spread their butt cheeks wide to get a permit to carry, an enumerated right, but when it comes to a finite resource they loose their shit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

VERY doubtful. I don't think anyone cares.
View Quote

One of these days I really need to see what the practical range is on my setup. So far I havnt used it farther than the half mile across my property.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Actually yea I see where you are coming from. I guess I was just looking at it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you speak of?

Did I just see somone on here read a reasoned position and intelligently change their mind?

I'm thinking this is actually the first time I've seen this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#48]
On Ham frequencies if it's an emergency a non-license holder is allowed to broadcast.  Just sayin....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

so the “federal gov” made these laws? the same gov that stole the election?

got it.

just dont broadcast from your home on your baofang and fuck the ham fudds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is going to coming to get me if I key up my Baofang?

so the “federal gov” made these laws? the same gov that stole the election?

got it.

just dont broadcast from your home on your baofang and fuck the ham fudds.

No shit! The instant wailing and threats about licenses and protocols by FUDDs when someone asks an innocent question is sad. They like there little cadre and the laws that keep it little AND highly regulated by the feds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
On Ham frequencies if it's an emergency a non-license holder is allowed to broadcast.  Just sayin....
View Quote

During an actual emergency you can use whatever frequency is most likely to get you the immediate assistance you need.

Additionally, an amateur radio operator may operate outside of their authorized frequencies in order to assist someone having an emergency.  That's a test question in the general bank.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top