Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 9:42:36 PM EDT
I spend a fair amount of time in my home shop.   Usually tinkering or working on cars.   My feet throb after being out there for a few hours on the concrete unless I am wearing sneakers or running shoes.

Unfortunately those don't hold up well or protect my feet from heavy stuff or while welding.

I currently own.

Danner acadias,  not great for standing.

Redwing 6" moc toes.   Great when I'm moving, sucks for standing stationary for long periods

Georgia romeos,  which pretty much suck all around.

I tend to have a lot of discomfort in the balls of my feet and the heels.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
These

Attachment Attached File

Burned a hole in the toes doing concrete so I put the tuff toe on them
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Carolina 8028’s ended up being the ticket for me.  I’m sure there is also a Thorogood model that would work I’ve just never had a place to go to try on Thorogoods.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Keen. I'm on my feet for 12hrs a day on concrete climbing walking through chemicals and keen has been the best
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
5.11 ATACS always were super comfortable for me on concrete.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Redwing 608's
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the recommendations!   Looks like I'll be heading to the boot store soon.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ariat or Double H
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Keen Pittsburgh

LINK

I really like mine, i spend a good part of my day on steel grating and the rest on gravel and find these to be the most comfortable pair of boots I have owned.  I also own some Keen hiking boots, but don’t find those nearly as comfortable on hard surfaces.

-Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
40  years retail,
19 as a meat cutter,  standing for a few hours in one spot
Redwing Irish Setters,  
or the Redwing 3\4 black leather boot,

both were comfortable all day on tile (ceramic) or concrete,
got them resoled a few times before the black leather ones wore out
still have the irish setters, (from 1987)

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I notice you mentioned soft sole shoes left your feet feeling better. I understand it's counter intuitive but that has not been my experience. I've been in construction (supervision, so I do a lot of "standing around") for 40+ years. These have a hard rubber sole and have been far more comfortable than any other I've worn. I'm talking on my feet on concrete 8-12 hours. A softer sole does work better if it's only an hour or three.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Keens
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I notice you mentioned soft sole shoes left your feet feeling better. I understand it's counter intuitive but that has not been my experience. I've been in construction (supervision, so I do a lot of "standing around") for 40+ years. These have a hard rubber sole and have been far more comfortable than any other I've worn. I'm talking on my feet on concrete 8-12 hours. A softer sole does work better if it's only an hour or three.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177202/A641D6EB-3AB8-4CED-BCC1-E7B5873BC0D9_jpe-1800270.JPG
View Quote

I've worn boots for my work over the past 25 years.  I've never had an issue with my feet up until 3 or 4 years ago.  
I bought the redwings on the recommendation that a harder sole would ease the discomfort,  which it does.   If I am moving.   But as soon as I stop or sit down, they become uncomfortable.

Running shoes seem to be the most comfortable for me for standing in the same spot.   But there is no protection,  especially when using my mig .  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've discovered there's stiffness in support and stiffness in cushion and they're two different things.  Stiff support, IE little flex along the length of the shoe, combined with softness in cushion, IE the soles springyness or cushion of the insert, combine to be the best "stand on concrete" shoe for me.

I like Ariat and Double H cowboy boots in particular because they don't have laces to catch weld slag and they're somewhat loose fitting when compared to most lace up boots.  If I was scrambling over stuff and doing a LOT of walking I would prefer a lace up, but when standing is more common than moving, the "room" cowboy boots have let my feet change shape without being constrained by the boot throughout the day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I switched to Thorogoods with a wedge sole last year.

Most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

I technically walk on concrete all day, while finishing it with a trowel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
@hungrymonkey.
Stop wasting time and $$ on buying boots.
Get good high arched insoles.
It is not the boot.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keen. I'm on my feet for 12hrs a day on concrete climbing walking through chemicals and keen has been the best
View Quote

This, got mine on rn, spent 18 hrs walking our  200000 SF warehouse doing inventory and no probs at all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Wolverine Durashock ,  I usually replace insoles but the ones they come with are not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Danner Ft. Lewis.

Recently bought some Merrells that seem very nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#19]
When I worked in a compressed gas plant, I wore Georgia Boots with the metatarsal guard (required to prevent crushing from falling gas cylinders). They held up well walking on concrete and kicking cylinders all day. Very comfortable. If you don't need the extra protection, Thorogood wedge soles are as comfortable as tennis shoes straight out of the box. They have waterproof versions as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m a Danner guy. Danner work boots, hiking boots and hunting boots.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Heck out kennetreks. Like wearing tennis shoes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Danner Bull Run

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Salomon
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Hytest, that I got off the shoemobile at work. That spongy core in the sole made them more comfortable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Wolverine drillbit pull ons. Stood on concrete for 12 hours a day, feet never hurt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I spend a fair amount of time in my home shop.   Usually tinkering or working on cars.   My feet throb after being out there for a few hours on the concrete unless I am wearing sneakers or running shoes.

Unfortunately those don't hold up well or protect my feet from heavy stuff or while welding.

I currently own.

Danner acadias,  not great for standing.

Redwing 6" moc toes.   Great when I'm moving, sucks for standing stationary for long periods

Georgia romeos,  which pretty much suck all around.

I tend to have a lot of discomfort in the balls of my feet and the heels.  

View Quote

Hoka One One Clifton 6. Like walking on clouds and I stand on concrete from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM M-F
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm on my third pair of Thorogood wedges. Safety toe, slip on, boots. I replace them once a year.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#28]
When I used to work 12s on concrete, Timberland PRO was the only thing that kept my feet from hurting. They were also used by 90%+ of everyone else who worked there. That's where I would start.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m wearing Rebok Ultralites. Carbon fiber toe super lightweight and feels like a running shoe. Most compfortable work shoes I’ve owned in over 30 years working in a shop environment. Under $125 also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I swear by Thorogood boots.

Thorogood Boots website

I used to get (at best) a year out of Chinese/Mexican Cat Diesels and Wolverines.
I get 5 years out my Made in USA Thorogood boots now.

They have something for everyone, and make trade-specific (e.g. electrician) boots.
The model I wear is called "American Heritage" and I can stand in them all day and
my feet feel fine.  But, I would recommend emailing them for a recommendation
for your specific requirement, as they may have something even better.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Keens
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't worn any boots for years, could never find anything comfortable. Purchased a pair of Thorogood boots, they're great. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
danner, red wing, irish setters, all good boots.....lived in boots landscaping, concrete and hardscape work, operating equipment and in railroad industry.....all performed good.
BEST ADVICE is invest in really good insoles such as fitted red wing or the timberland orange insoles off Amazon ......thats where the comfort lies!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Go to your local Red Wing boot store and just try on a few various pairs. I would bet you'll find something you like.

Their Irish Setters are good as well, but I don't like the insoles in those boots. I use some Red Wing branded insoles instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top