Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 1:11:00 PM EDT
It's an American Standard that uses A35 pads. It's practically flooding my basement. Pad is new. Water source is barely cracked open.

I thought over flow should go through the drain hose. It looks like it's going through the joints of the box. I need to check the hose for blockage, but it's a ridicilous amount of water on the floor, and the bucket I put under it is overflowing. In fact, a plastic tray about a foot away has some water in it too! and that's just overnight. No leaks in the water line, no sign of dripping anywhere else.

I have it turned off for now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Turn supply off. Call Technician.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your drain line, probably clogged.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull out the pad.  Check the bottom of the housing for blockages.  Then check the drain hose for same.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If your humidifier is like mine, there is a solenoid valve that supplies its water.  Could be that salve is stuck OPEN.  If so it would be easy to check and replace.

All previous post apply as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You got the black gunk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If your humidifier is like mine, there is a solenoid valve that supplies its water.  Could be that salve is stuck OPEN.  If so it would be easy to check and replace.

All previous post apply as well.
View Quote

No, It's good, in that I can hear it shutting on and off in test mode, and during the day I've watched it water the filter for a few seconds and shut off. It looks like the furnace is running a LOT at night, as the condensate fills a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full overnight (did it that way to check that the pump was working), and subsequently, the humidifier is running a lot, possibly too much, during the night too.

I'll have to wait til tomorrow to check the drain hose. Gotta get to work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
if the drain is clear,check for cracks in the pad housing.also be sure the pad isnt tilted out once you put the cover on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
When we want to “humidify” here in Florida, we just opethe doors for a couple of minutes.

Make it rain baby, make it rain.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
As it turns out, when I removed the drain tube (it wraps behind furnace), I found a kink in the hose where it went around the corner. There was some build up in the kink, which either closed off the tube or restricted it so much. Its a clear tubing that is fairly soft, so it could kink easily like that over time.
i replaced it with similar tubing, but next time I'll get some reinforced tubing.

However, a hell of a lot water flows through it, even when on low. I think I need to call a technician to see if this is normal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Clogged drain or stuck control solenoid.

Can you see where the drain outlet is? Is water draining?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The drain is working fine now, and the solenoid does turn on and off, but I do wonder if it is faulty, since it puts out gallons of water into the drain over the course of a day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you using an after market replacement pad or oem?
The mostly fabric aftermarket pads are the worst.
If it's the correct pad it could be the airflow is to high and you're blowing water off the pad.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The drain is working fine now, and the solenoid does turn on and off, but I do wonder if it is faulty, since it puts out gallons of water into the drain over the course of a day.
View Quote
Even if the solenoid failed open which is unlikely the water should still flow through and into the drain.
If the solenoid is turning off and on it's not faulty. It only opens and closes. No in between.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems like the most logical place to start The line it should be going down but isn't...

Mine goes into a little sump pump. If you've got one of those check that.

I wired mine so if the sump pump stops and goes into high level it will stop the humidifier as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that’s normal? Ours isn’t regulated; it’s on or off. When it’s on, it does go though a fairly good amount of water. FWIW, ours is new.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a reservoir with a float valve? That may be leaking
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think that's normal? Ours isn't regulated; it's on or off. When it's on, it does go though a fairly good amount of water. FWIW, ours is new.
View Quote
On mine that solenoid supply has a valve (I would think everyone should) I actually turn that to about half closed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Since the electric valve is actually working, it seems like you need to inspect what flow restrictor needs to be in place for your specific system.
Maybe you don't have one at all, or it's too open for your needs (?)

https://arnoldservice.com/product/4021-aprilaire-humidifier-restrictor-orifices-red-2-pack/

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On mine that solenoid supply has a valve (I would think everyone should) I actually turn that to about half closed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's normal? Ours isn't regulated; it's on or off. When it's on, it does go though a fairly good amount of water. FWIW, ours is new.

I put a valve on mine. Thanks for the tip to use it as a flow restrictor. It really does use a substantial amount of water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top