BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For rimfires, my favorite is my 1935 Remington Model 34.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/291771/36057581560_2f513bf052_b_jpg-1792337.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As already suggested by those who know, an accurate .22LR

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/291771/36057581560_2f513bf052_b_jpg-1792337.JPG
@Smashy  

I've got the same rifle.  My grandad gave it to me.  My mom, aunts and uncle all learned to shoot with it.  It's at the 'smith right now getting a minor repair.  Won't feed out of the tube.

Great rifle and you are the only other owner I've come across.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I really love my 1908 Brazilian Mauser.  And lately the Sako L61.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
(Caution, off the books reloading)

I bought thousands and thousands of 6.5x55mm blanks when they were getting blown out for cheap.  They're still only $96/1000+shipping.   I've been pulling the wood bullets and reusing the primed case to make AG42 (which mutilates brass) ammo, and plinking ammo for my other 6.5x55s.

The pulled powder works really nice for very light cast bullet loads, it is similar to unique, but be careful and work up.  It was essentially free, so for the cost of casting a bullet, and a primer, you're in business shooting cheap.  If you use it in a Swede (OBVIOUSLY much less than is in the blank originally) with a light cast bullet, you're shooting REALLY cheap.
View Quote

@p3590

How are they packaged? I'm not bold enough to try reusing blank powder like that, but I'm tempted at that price (even with the shipping) just for the primed brass. If they are in wooden crates, I might have to order. I'm a sucker for wood ammo crates
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Porksword

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Savage FVSR with a Sparrow.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard to top my PWS staright pull.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@p3590

How are they packaged? I'm not bold enough to try reusing blank powder like that, but I'm tempted at that price (even with the shipping) just for the primed brass. If they are in wooden crates, I might have to order. I'm a sucker for wood ammo crates
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(Caution, off the books reloading)

I bought thousands and thousands of 6.5x55mm blanks when they were getting blown out for cheap.  They're still only $96/1000+shipping.   I've been pulling the wood bullets and reusing the primed case to make AG42 (which mutilates brass) ammo, and plinking ammo for my other 6.5x55s.

The pulled powder works really nice for very light cast bullet loads, it is similar to unique, but be careful and work up.  It was essentially free, so for the cost of casting a bullet, and a primer, you're in business shooting cheap.  If you use it in a Swede (OBVIOUSLY much less than is in the blank originally) with a light cast bullet, you're shooting REALLY cheap.

@p3590

I just clicked the link.  It says 4800 rounds for $96.  That can't be right, can it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]
K31
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Ruger American Rimfire Compact-especially while ammo proces are through the roof! Takes all of my 10/22 maga too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Mauser 98, 260AI

Is My 260 Ackley Improved Accurate at 615 yards 1/4MOA

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#15]
As claimed here previously, all of them.

One that stands out for me is my old Springfield A3-03. Part of what makes it fun is that I bought it years ago for only $200 .Old guy had drilled it for competition scope blocks to use it in some kind of cast bullet match. Stock was super ugly but it cleaned up pretty good.
Somebody worked over the trigger and found a new old stock barrel.
In short it shoots very very well be it match loads ,hunting type loads (not that I hunt) or mild cast bullet loads.
Gun is lighter than many current factory 30/06 rifles but it is stout enough that you don't get beat up by recoil but still can be carried around well.

Iron sights on a A3-03 really work very well (even with my old eyes)
Action of the bolt is quite smooth , I guess part of that is design and part that it is just well worn in.

There are a whole lot of different weight bullets and lots of reload data that covers light powder puff loads up to heavy stuff for big mean animals

In short, I bought it on cheap and it works well for all kinds of shooting
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Are you comfortable with the offset scope mount?  I put a scout scope on mine.  Kinda sucks only having 2.75X, but I had a hard time envisioning a good cheek weld with an offset mount.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is my K31 at 100 yards with a 2X optic and my old eyes.

Seven shots into nearly 1 inch with a couple of flyers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/K31_001-1791135.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is my K31 at 100 yards with a 2X optic and my old eyes.

Seven shots into nearly 1 inch with a couple of flyers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/K31_001-1791135.jpg

Quoted:
What ammo?  GP11?

@eric10mm

Correcto.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
I can attest that NoDak sights (or at least the integrated sight/1913 rear) is awesome; I have a set on a 10/22 of mine, and love it.  I don't doubt that the whole kit and kaboodle is awesome on the American series.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Rule 303!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For me?

The K31.

That smooth straight pull action, decent power, handles perfectly.
View Quote

I have a Swiss 1911 Carbine and I agree. The Swiss straight pulls are just damn fun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Slick=my Sako 338 Winmag, action is like polished glass, magically chambers next round without thought when shooting game

Best 22=Remington Model 37 Rangemaster, the highest quality gun Remington made from 1936 until 1952. Magazines are machined from steel and sell for over $300 now. The most accurate rifle ever tested at Lapua was a 37.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Smashy  

I've got the same rifle.  My grandad gave it to me.  My mom, aunts and uncle all learned to shoot with it.  It's at the 'smith right now getting a minor repair.  Won't feed out of the tube.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Smashy  

Mine was a bear to clean when I got it. I had to bang the bolt handle with a mallet to get the bolt apart. I found a thick layer of some brown gooey stuff under the sleeve. I don't know if it was motor oil or what, but it must have been in there and sat for decades because it was extremely thick, sticky and almost hardened, like syrup that had been left out to dry. I got it cleaned up and functioning smooth. No reliability issues now and loads of fun to shoot.

@firedog51d
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That may well be. But the cheap Russian ammo has a well earned reputation via testing of not being accurate ammo for many reasons, including powder charge variances, non-concentric jackets, voids in the core, variances in bullet weight, etc. It's cheap for a reason.

Is it minute-of-man? Sure, it makes holes in things cheaply, and might I add fairly reliably.  But as far as believing .75MOA groups at extended distances, out of any gun?  I'm a skeptic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every review I've read or watched all send to indicate that the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 shoots absurdly well, especially for what it is.
That may well be. But the cheap Russian ammo has a well earned reputation via testing of not being accurate ammo for many reasons, including powder charge variances, non-concentric jackets, voids in the core, variances in bullet weight, etc. It's cheap for a reason.

Is it minute-of-man? Sure, it makes holes in things cheaply, and might I add fairly reliably.  But as far as believing .75MOA groups at extended distances, out of any gun?  I'm a skeptic.

The ammo is Golden Tiger if anyone cares, but I don't. I know what my rifle can do and I don't give a shit who doesn't believe me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]
My Ruger American Rimfire TB with 1-7x BDC scope and Ruger American 16" 308 TB with a 3-9x scope get shot almost every time I bring long guns to the range. They are great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I find that I always go back to my 22's for pure grinning fun.

From my 1930 Winchester Model 52 match, my first rifle my Grandmother gave me at 5 years old, to my custom Savages.....to my new Tikka T1x. Those little 22's always make my day.

I guess I never really grew up.
View Quote
@Lorax  lol, join the club, I have dozens of 22 target rifles including 9x 52s. You had a great Grandmother to give you a pre A at 5 yrs old. Bought a Mossberg M44 at an auction that I need to go pick up, never owned any Mossy before.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Are you comfortable with the offset scope mount?  I put a scout scope on mine.  Kinda sucks only having 2.75X, but I had a hard time envisioning a good cheek weld with an offset mount.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/K31_002-1792772.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/K31_002-1792772.jpg

I used to have a scout scope on mine, looks like the same mount. It worked but I wasn't real happy with it. I hesitated buying the offset mount for a long time because I also couldn't picture being able to use it easily. But I finally took the plunge and it was so worth it.

It looks like it's too far to the right, but it's not that much. I was used to it after a couple of shots. One of those things that you won't really believe until you try it. I love shooting it with this set up. Works fine for me.

The groove is sized for rimfire rings (I have Leupold vertically split rimfire rings on mine). That's to keep things out of the way so you can still use chargers with the scope mounted. Larger rings would prevent that.

@eracer
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
You would love the 375 H&H then. It's main parlor trick is shooting to the same point of aim with any typical load or bullet weight.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mine was a bear to clean when I got it. I had to bang the bolt handle with a mallet to get the bolt apart. I found a thick layer of some brown gooey stuff under the sleeve. I don't know if it was motor oil or what, but it must have been in there and sat for decades because it was extremely thick, sticky and almost hardened, like syrup that had been left out to dry. I got it cleaned up and functioning smooth. No reliability issues now and loads of fun to shoot.

@firedog51d
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Smashy  

@firedog51d
Good save!!  They are great little rifles.  I have a tang style peep sight on mine.  Grandpa probably snagged it off of a Winchester he sold.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As claimed here previously, all of them.

One that stands out for me is my old Springfield A3-03. Part of what makes it fun is that I bought it years ago for only $200 .Old guy had drilled it for competition scope blocks to use it in some kind of cast bullet match. Stock was super ugly but it cleaned up pretty good.
Somebody worked over the trigger and found a new old stock barrel.
In short it shoots very very well be it match loads ,hunting type loads (not that I hunt) or mild cast bullet loads.
Gun is lighter than many current factory 30/06 rifles but it is stout enough that you don't get beat up by recoil but still can be carried around well.

Iron sights on a A3-03 really work very well (even with my old eyes)
Action of the bolt is quite smooth , I guess part of that is design and part that it is just well worn in.

There are a whole lot of different weight bullets and lots of reload data that covers light powder puff loads up to heavy stuff for big mean animals

In short, I bought it on cheap and it works well for all kinds of shooting
View Quote
Way back when some old timers in WWII era who couldn't get bullets used .30 cal buckshot over a couple grains of Unique (or similar, I can't remember, maybe it was Blue Dot) and used their surplus 1917s or 03s as rabbit guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@Lorax  lol, join the club, I have dozens of 22 target rifles including 9x 52s. You had a great Grandmother to give you a pre A at 5 yrs old. Bought a Mossberg M44 at an auction that I need to go pick up, never owned any Mossy before.
View Quote

I remember a long time ago, over 25 years....a guy who owned a range offered me $1600 for it.
It will go to a Grandson at some point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good save!!  They are great little rifles.  I have a tang style peep sight on mine.  Grandpa probably snagged it off of a Winchester he sold.
View Quote

Mine has a King buckhorn sight. But with my aging eyes I was thinking about drilling and tapping it for a scope. Weaver makes a base that fits the receiver.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#32]
@Smashy

Thanks for the details.  I have a Model 96/11 I haven't even shot yet.  Sounds like an offset mount might be in its future...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Is that the sniper rifle from counter strike  video game (the AWP)?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks for the details.  I have a Model 96/11 I haven't even shot yet.  Sounds like an offset mount might be in its future...
View Quote

I don't think the offset mount will fit that. It only says K31 in the description.

They do make a clamp-on mount that will fit the 96/11. Currently out of stock, but no drilling the gun and it puts the scope directly over the receiver instead of being offset.

https://www.swissproductsusa.com/product-page/1911-clamp-on-scope-mount
@eracer

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't think the offset mount will fit that. It only says K31 in the description.

They do make a clamp-on mount that will fit the 96/11. Currently out of stock, but no drilling the gun and it puts the scope directly over the receiver instead of being offset.

https://www.swissproductsusa.com/product-page/1911-clamp-on-scope-mount
@eracer

View Quote

Thanks.  I see there's also a no-gunsmith LER option out there from BadAce Tactical.

I'd have to get a LER scope with the proper eye relief of course, but I know there are several out there.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I see there's also a no-gunsmith LER option out there from BadAce Tactical.

I'd have to get a LER scope with the proper eye relief of course, but I know there are several out there.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1708/6289/products/Swiss-1911-04_1296x1296.jpg
View Quote

I thought you already tried a forward mounted scope.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Seriously, Mosin Nagant.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top