BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me? This one:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/359475/5E492140-B8BD-4378-BBDC-C9AA3EBF0D29_jpe-1790797.JPG

Bergara b14r. The .22 match ammo is all subsonic, so no need to wear ear pro. It’s amazingly fun shooting tiny groups, or steel out past 400m, all with zero recoil, for CHEAP (relatively speaking).
View Quote

All of this, plus you can set it up with any 700 stock with AICS mag compatible bottom metal and aftermarket 700 triggers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They do it for new posters so they don't post COC items..only last for like the first 50 posts if I remember right...

As for funnest to shoot for me..well my 300rum of course..love shooting at shit way the frick out there....plus its fun having something that can wack the shit out of things...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/C52F59AA-6106-48B9-94EA-47AF83D69676_jpe-1791108.JPG
View Quote

This is about how my Impact will look when I’m finished putting it together, I choose any long range bolt gun...I remember my first impacts at 500, 600 and 750 on a 8” plate...nothing like making “headshots” at distance! 1000m and hopefully an attempt at a mile coming soon!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. Low recoil, cheap to shoot, and turned out to be a lot more accurate than I expected. 3/4" groups at 100 yards with cheap Russian ammo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/291771/IMG_20210117_164748715_HDR_jpg-1791059.JPG

View Quote
I straight up do not believe that even out of a Mann test barrel and a machine rest that Russian 7.62x39mm will group .75 MOA.  It won't do it out of a CZ.  No U.S. military ball will do that out of a test barrel.

Or is this some sort of pointless 3 shot group, or group with "fliers"?   If you have a 10 shot group you can show me, I will absolutely be on gunbroker buying one right now.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a couple of old Spanish 1916 mausers in. 308 Win that I have been casting an powder coating for.

Plan is to put them on top of some 2400, Reloader 7 or Unique and that should make a couple of real fun bolt guns for schmacking clay pigeons on the berm.
View Quote

Been shooting cast bullets in a 03A3 with a Lyman peep sight. Its still a favorite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#5]
K31. Accurate and fast.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Been shooting cast bullets in a 03A3 with a Lyman peep sight. Its still a favorite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a couple of old Spanish 1916 mausers in. 308 Win that I have been casting an powder coating for.

Plan is to put them on top of some 2400, Reloader 7 or Unique and that should make a couple of real fun bolt guns for schmacking clay pigeons on the berm.

(Caution, off the books reloading)

I bought thousands and thousands of 6.5x55mm blanks when they were getting blown out for cheap.  They're still only $96/1000+shipping.   I've been pulling the wood bullets and reusing the primed case to make AG42 (which mutilates brass) ammo, and plinking ammo for my other 6.5x55s.

The pulled powder works really nice for very light cast bullet loads, it is similar to unique, but be careful and work up.  It was essentially free, so for the cost of casting a bullet, and a primer, you're in business shooting cheap.  If you use it in a Swede (OBVIOUSLY much less than is in the blank originally) with a light cast bullet, you're shooting REALLY cheap.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say an American Ranch with suppressor in x39 or x35

x39 is still fairly cheap so it would get the nod for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
@mike_nds

info on the set of sights?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Any suppressed SBR bolt gun shooting heavy subs.  for me its a 77/357
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@mike_nds

info on the set of sights?
View Quote
@Austin4130

Go to the NoDak Spud website.  They make bolt on irons for the Ruger Americans now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A Enfield #2 MK IV .22 trainer by a mile.....I put a Parker-Hale 5A on it and it's a joy to shoot.

https://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2013/10/1z52qef-1.jpg

It's the only rifle that you have to quit shooting when the magazine is full.....It's a single shot and empties eject down and into the gutted magazine.
View Quote

Concur, my No. 2 Mk. IV* is probably the most-shot of any of my bolt actions. There's just something relaxing about it.

Mine was originally a Long Lee - you can see it still has the Long Lee buttstock/plate. A piece of wood was spliced in at the wrist to allow clearance for the SMLE safety lever.

For added fun, take one to an indoor pistol/.22 only range and watch the chaos when the RSO notices you uncasing it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Concur, my No. 2 Mk. IV* is probably the most-shot of any of my bolt actions. There's just something relaxing about it.

https://i.imgur.com/suAHmWA.jpg

Mine was originally a Long Lee - you can see it still has the Long Lee buttstock/plate. A piece of wood was spliced in at the wrist to allow clearance for the SMLE safety lever.

For added fun, take one to an indoor pistol/.22 only range and watch the chaos when the RSO notices you uncasing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Enfield #2 MK IV .22 trainer by a mile.....I put a Parker-Hale 5A on it and it's a joy to shoot.

https://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2013/10/1z52qef-1.jpg

It's the only rifle that you have to quit shooting when the magazine is full.....It's a single shot and empties eject down and into the gutted magazine.

https://i.imgur.com/suAHmWA.jpg

I wonder if a Springfield M1922 or a Gew.98 with the conversion is as fun?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Schmidt Rubin
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
91/30 Mosin Nagant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder if a Springfield M1922 or a Gew.98 with the conversion is as fun?
View Quote

Likely. Most of the subcaliber trainers are fun guns. The only one I can think of that is a pain is the MAS-36 Tir Reduit, because the .22 casings go into a sort of fake "shell" and they like to get stuck in there after firing. You usually have to pry them out with a tool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For me it's long range target shooting.
I really like my two Ruger Precision Rifles, one in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 6.5 PRC.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/65PRC_2_jpg-1790822.JPG
View Quote

RPR is the rifle you want.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Last year I bought a Remington model 7 in 300 Blackout with a threaded barrel.  I run a Dead Air Sandman-S silencer on it.  With subsonic ammo, right now it is my favorite gun, period.  It is ridiculously quiet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Toss up between a Enfield or Krag for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Some other thoughts- K11 is superior to K31 from a fun-to-shoot perspective. Bolt throw is smoother and trigger is nicer. Not that either are bad on the K31, but they're just magic on the K11. The K31 is a bit more accurate.

As a counter, the least-fun bolt action is probably this.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I straight up do not believe that even out of a Mann test barrel and a machine rest that Russian 7.62x39mm will group .75 MOA.  It won't do it out of a CZ.  No U.S. military ball will do that out of a test barrel.

Or is this some sort of pointless 3 shot group, or group with "fliers"?   If you have a 10 shot group you can show me, I will absolutely be on gunbroker buying one right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. Low recoil, cheap to shoot, and turned out to be a lot more accurate than I expected. 3/4" groups at 100 yards with cheap Russian ammo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/291771/IMG_20210117_164748715_HDR_jpg-1791059.JPG

Wait, let me drop everything and go out and get some video of myself shooting a 10 shot group to convince someone on the internet that I'm not lying. Or I suppose I could just post a picture of a target I've shot before (which I couldn't do anyway because I no longer have them on my phone). But I could still be lying. How do you know I didn't just take a target and poke some holes in it with a pencil?

When my Marine son (who shoots better than me) was home for Christmas, he shot it and confirmed how well it shoots. But he's not to be believed, either, so that's a moot point.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I don't care about test barrels or US ball ammo or whether you believe me, and I have no interest in trying to convince you. Since you already don't believe me, we'll just leave it at that, so you're happy and I'm happy. So save the lecture and go tell it to someone actually cares what you think.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
K31. Accurate and fast.
View Quote

I like my K31 as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every review I’ve read or watched all send to indicate that the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 shoots absurdly well, especially for what it is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Dv9Eu0v.jpg

Cz 527 in .22 hornet. Cheap to reload for, ammo is still all over, accurate, not super loud, set trigger, thumps squirrels.
View Quote

Such beautiful rifles
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

this is the most fun bolt action
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I have to admit I enjoy all of my bolt guns pretty equally, both modern and old school.

I do not have a Cz, though, and would really dig one in .223 as a general kickin' around rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I love .22s in general, but old school Anschütz in particular.

Sako TRG-series are also a favorite.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#28]
If "fun" is the only factor, my vote goes to my RPR in .17HMR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
(Caution, off the books reloading)

I bought thousands and thousands of 6.5x55mm blanks when they were getting blown out for cheap.  They're still only $96/1000+shipping.   I've been pulling the wood bullets and reusing the primed case to make AG42 (which mutilates brass) ammo, and plinking ammo for my other 6.5x55s.

The pulled powder works really nice for very light cast bullet loads, it is similar to unique, but be careful and work up.  It was essentially free, so for the cost of casting a bullet, and a primer, you're in business shooting cheap.  If you use it in a Swede (OBVIOUSLY much less than is in the blank originally) with a light cast bullet, you're shooting REALLY cheap.
View Quote

This sir is brilliant,  wish I had a 6.5x55
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#32]
The only one I currently have is a ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor.  It’s pretty good.  I want a ruger American in .30-06 next.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#33]
My # 1 is my Suppressed CZ 455 PT , followed by my Suppressed 17HMR . Then my long range rigs .
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#34]
No 5 Enfield
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#35]
any of the swiss straight pulls.

My personal favorite is my 96/11. Smooth, crazy accurate, and all that mass soaks up the recoil leaving the recoil fairly mild.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Do you have a certain flexible morality?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mausers and 22 bolt actions for me.

I like this one also.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/RAR_NDS-55-56_JPG-1744757.jpg
View Quote

Tech sights?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I've always wanted a .220 swift for only fun reasons
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wait, let me drop everything and go out and get some video of myself shooting a 10 shot group to convince someone on the internet that I'm not lying. Or I suppose I could just post a picture of a target I've shot before (which I couldn't do anyway because I no longer have them on my phone). But I could still be lying. How do you know I didn't just take a target and poke some holes in it with a pencil?

When my Marine son (who shoots better than me) was home for Christmas, he shot it and confirmed how well it shoots. But he's not to be believed, either, so that's a moot point.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I don't care about test barrels or US ball ammo or whether you believe me, and I have no interest in trying to convince you. Since you already don't believe me, we'll just leave it at that, so you're happy and I'm happy. So save the lecture and go tell it to someone actually cares what you think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did this with my CZ without much effort:

I'm not a particularly great shot. I don't have the steadiest of hands, and I've worn glasses most of my life. I was using a low power scope, and, IIRC, I was making adjustments between groups. I was also on an outdoor range that can get kind of breezy.

Knowing my limitations, I'm very satisfied with the fact that I did that with a lightweight carbine and ammo that was $6 a box. There are/were several guys on this forum that could easily outperform what I did here just based on having additional experience and skill that I do not.

In short, my answer is that it's at least plausible.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is a copypasta in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said. Some rifles "like" goofy choices. The best group I ever shot with a .22 for example, was with a Remington 581 and Winchester Xpert HV bulk pack.

Bought a box of match grade to see just how well the gun would shoot, and the groups were twice the size-in that rifle as well as 2 others.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#43]
For me, its my Win. .223 varmint barrel bolt action with a 10x scope.   Slow twist, so we are talking 60 grains or less.   Loves 52's.  

Cheap to shoot, very accurate, easy on brass/cheap brass, easy to reload, and no recoil fatigue.  You can go thru 200 rounds in an afternoon, and you are not beat up.   Good barrel life.  Uses the same basic powders I reload for other calibers.  Good trigger.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#44]
At the top of my list would be the Vudoo 22LR but I have a lot of fun with my precision 223 trainer and once in a while I get out the old 03-A3 and have at it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#45]
My "go-to" bolt action was a 1:9 twist 26-inch .223/5.56 H-S Precision 2000A. Most of my .223 "good stuff" are reloaded for it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Have a marlin 822 22mag that i have wallowed the receiver out and the trigger post is almost worn through. Its a hell of a fun lil bolt gun
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Marlin XT-22.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm thinking an accurate suppressed .22 bolt would be a heck of a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As already suggested by those who know, an accurate .22LR
View Quote

For rimfires, my favorite is my 1935 Remington Model 34.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Double tap.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top