Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2019 12:38:45 PM EDT
I've always wanted to get my ideas out of my head and onto paper or a screen.

What is the easiest way to learn CAD?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
using it
nothing beats actual time behind the screen
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
using it
View Quote
This

I would add watching videos of the workflow for the particular program, and refer back when you get stuck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I suggest Fusion 360.
Here is a Video I made.  It will give you a starting point.  
https://youtu.be/drrddxD36y4
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
As somebody who has used AutoCAD since about 1985, you have to put in the hours. The initial learning curve is steep, but just keep at it. Think of it as learning a new musical instrument.

At least you now have truckloads of youtube videos for guidance. I did take a few semesters in college for it, but I still had to practice.

Now, it is so ingrained, it's no longer a part of conscious thought, I just think about what I want to draw, not how. Keyboard shortcuts are life. Whatever platform you end up using, you'll probably want to make custom LISP keystroke macros. But that comes with experience, certainly no rush on getting that even in your first six months
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
School.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been making objects for my drones from prototype frames to GoPro mounts for the last 3 months.

I may not be as fast as somebody who makes a living off it but I have gotten better.

Fusion 360 is pretty intuitive and whatever else you need to do is a quick youtube search away.

Taking my renders to 3D stl files for 3D printing is easy.

Starting to mess with learning the CAM sode of things for milling my own frames next.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
School.
View Quote
as a former teacher of autocad i disagree

i could always tell someone that used the software alot, vs those that just did it for class and assignments
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As somebody who has used AutoCAD since about 1985, you have to put in the hours. The initial learning curve is steep, but just keep at it. Think of it as learning a new musical instrument.

At least you now have truckloads of youtube videos for guidance. I did take a few semesters in college for it, but I still had to practice.

Now, it is so ingrained, it's no longer a part of conscious thought, I just think about what I want to draw, not how. Keyboard shortcuts are life. Whatever platform you end up using, you'll probably want to make custom LISP keystroke macros. But that comes with experience, certainly no rush on getting that even in your first six months
View Quote
This. I'm so used to MasterCAM at work, I keep trying to use shortcuts in F360 or other programs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I use SW at work every day, mostly taught myself in college tinkering before they really picked it up.

Have a personal copy at home for projects, used it for everything from gun parts to my sister's house, to my new garage, etc.
Drawn up a few things for people here over the years as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Freecad has some part tutorials that show you step by step how to model some things.

Lars Christensen on YouTube has a *lot* of content for Fusion 360.

Youtube is great for this stuff. One way is to just search for something you're trying to do, and see what comes up. There's no better motivation than "I need to make this" to get you to figure out how to design something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I learned by watching this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/vertanux1

Within 1 hour I was making things. That was a few years ago and hundreds of Autodesk hours later- now I have a shop that I sell 3d printed stuffs. https://www.etsy.com/shop/kiloohm
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
A copy paste of a wor doc I put together for some youngsters that wanted to learn on their own.

Fusion 360 for hobbyists
https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists
Fusion 360 free 3D CAD/CAM design software for students and educators
https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/students-teachers-educators

Here is a short video that will show you what YOU can learn to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2u26YaJm48
Next comes some resources that I have come across that have helped me learn about this whole computerized design mystery.
First in no particular order is NYC ? CNC
They have CNC machines quite similar to the ones at our Maker Center and in my opinion the guy puts out some good videos.
https://www.nyccnc.com/fusion-360/
Go here and check out Titans of CNC Academy YOU can learn much here, and it’s free. If you want go ahead and sign up
https://academy.titansofcnc.com/
Watch these videos they will help you get started.
This video is where I started learning CAD about 6 months ago. It was done by Lars Christensen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5bc9c3S12g&t=3s
Brad Tallis does a good job of explaining some of the finer points of Fusion 360
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEVULiWognkczOpDSGSlFg/videos
I hope this helps you out.  JP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Titans of CNC or Lynda.com. You'll need to find a seat of Solidworks for Lynda.com.

Fusion/Titans is the best value (free) by a long shot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
For simple geometric stuff or to edit STLs I use Tinkercad. It's free, super simple, and good enough for about 50% of what I make.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Step 1. Download the student version of Autocad. Depending on how new your computer is, you might not be able to run the latest version, so check the specs before you download.

Step 2. YouTube and Autocad's own website. There's also a help feature that's really good that's built into it. But honestly if you just follow the youtube tutorials you'll be good to go. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Fusion 360 is fantastic and free for commercial and non-commercial use if your business makes less than $100k using the software. Autodesk has it available on their website. Hans Christiansen has a bunch of fantastic vids on YouTube to start off and advance quickly. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
using it
View Quote
Boom.

That’s all there is to it. It can be frustrating and annoying but push through and before you realize it the things you’re doing or learning to do are advanced as hell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a 3d cad program, start using it. When you need to do something you don't know how to do Google it and watch some youtube videos. Repeat.

The same way you learn how to do anything in 2019.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5tp4QXciK4
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Lars Christensen YouTube channel is pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I just remembered I also have turbocad 2017 deluxe. Haven't used it much either, so I can't remember if it can do 3D, threads, etc.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Great thread!  I was about to ask the same question.

Not trying to take the thread off topic, but to go along with this topic, what’s a good CNC machine that’ll go as far as making an AR-15 lower and is not too horribly pricey to get started with?

If this is too far off topic let me know and I’ll start another thread.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#25]
@Rat_Patrol what cnc model did you get?
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This looks about right.

It was a good 4 or 5 years ago.
View Quote
I want one
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I find the "Learn Fusion 360 or die trying" to be good so far. His version of the program is a hair out of date, but it's not hard to figure out. He has like 13 episodes, and doesn't waste time explaining to do obvious things like save and open, or describing the layout, etc.
Just gets right down to it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm a Solidworks guy.  The best way to learn it is to:

1) Get the program (or the educational version).
2) Get on YouTube and search for "Solidworks for beginners tutorial" (or some variation).
3) Open both the program and the tutorial, following along as the tutorial demonstrates hows and whats.

There's a bunch of tutorials, often for different year/versions of the Software, but any fairly recent version shouldn't be overly different.

The real value of the tutorials is learning the interface, which (in Solidworks) can be formidable to the noob.  Once you've been shown how to set up the workspace, draw a shape, extrude it, and take cuts/etc....you're on your way.  That's about 2-3hrs worth.  After that, it's mostly just running into a wall ("HTF do I format the threading on this bolt?") and searching for a demo specific to that.  There's demos that show you how to post-produce, "cleaning up" and editing your work into a professional format, and so on.

Bottom line: Watch tutorials, imitate the stuff they show, then just dive in and find problems expressing your ideas, then search for how to do what you want.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#30]
If you know somebody that can give the quicky 1hr crash course, it would be a huge leg up on the basics of how it works.

After that, it comes down to how creative you are problem solving, youtube vids, patience, and more patience.
This line above is pretty much beating your head against the wall until you get it right
There will be an initial hump to get over (like pretty much everything in life), but after that it gets easier and things start progressing pretty quickly.

I find standard geometry stuff pretty easy. The OCD requires dimensions, relationships, etc.
The curvy sculpty stuff is awesome, but my head just dont work that way and I really struggle here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. I'm so used to MasterCAM at work, I keep trying to use shortcuts in F360 or other programs.
View Quote
I started using mastercam and still use it more than fusion360 but I learned more about fusion in a 20 min video on YouTube than autocad coursera course.  It was easier to follow on YouTube and coming from mastercam its comparable but the different interfaces are in different places.... you should have no issues playing in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top