Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2022 5:07:59 PM EDT
I've got a jack, but no stands.
I know you can use the spare and just run around each corner, but that is a pain.
Anyway, I'm getting tired of shops wanting an appointment days in advance, 1 hour + long waits, etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need at least one jackstand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a friend that has a lift?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You buy stands, do it safely. They are cheap. Bet you could get a $10 or less pair on CL if you want to pinch pennies.

Just google “car falls of jack” and don’t be that guy.

A car fell off the jacks, crushing a man
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
A front-to-back rotation is better than none at all and doesn't require extra tools if your jack can lift both wheels at once.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on if you have staggered wheels.  A set of jacks for each side, front to back with two jackstands and one jack.

Quickjack is a cheap alternative.  LocL Indy shop with do oil change, checkup of the car and balance and rotate for under $100. Even if you rotate them, not easy to balance at home.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a second jack, or get a cheap pair of jack stands.  Myself, I bought two pairs, so I just put the entire vehicle off the tires and rotate.

Walmart sells jackstands for like $30 a pair.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
BMW says don't touch them.

Replace when worn.

Done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
1x bottle jack (the car came with), 2x cinder blocks OR 8xx8" blocks of wood.

Done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Take out the full size pare, when you jack the car, take the spare and put it under the car near the jacking point, so if the car slips off the jack it'll land on the tire and not you.

Also find something to chock the tires at the other end from the jack point, a cinder block, large rock, or a large piece of wood.  

When you're done, think about the money you saved and go out and purchase a couple of jack stands, and two chocks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
  1. Pull out the spare, check for any damage, clean the tire and wheel, do the same for the emergency jack and tire iron and make sure it works and can lift the vehicle. Don't use this jack to rotate your tires, just make sure it works and that you can change a tire with this equipment.
  2. Jack up the passenger front wheel, swap the wheel with the spare, and lower the vehicle
  3. Jack up the rear driver side (use jack stand on support member), pull the wheel, inspect brakes, shocks, wheel well, and moving parts, clean tire, wheel, and mating surfaces of rotor and incoming wheel, lower vehicle,
  4. Continue this process with the front driver wheel to the rear passenger, then finally to back to the front passenger wheel. Make sure you clean mating surfaces and inspect moving components. I will usually put a thin layer of anti-seize on the mating surfaces because I live in New England.
  5. Once all tires have been rotated, use a torque wrench and set torque to published values. I use 90 to 100 ft-lbs, your values may vary. Set all 5 tires to their correct pressures. Inspect and clean where the spare is stored and secure it in place.
  6. Take vehicle for a test ride through surface streets then on the highway to test for vibrations.
Tools needed:
    • Floor jack and jack stands
    • 4 way tire iron
    • Cordless drill with correct size socket for your lugs
    • Wire brush
    • Rags (old tee shirts work well)
    • Inspection light
    • Brake Cleaner
    • Anti-seize
    • Tire pressure gauge- my truck has a setting where it will honk the horn when a tire reaches a targeted setting
    • Air pump- I use a bike pump just for the work out

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:40:00 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    1. Pull out the spare, check for any damage, clean the tire and wheel, do the same for the emergency jack and tire iron and make sure it works and can lift the vehicle. Don't use this jack to rotate your tires, just make sure it works and that you can change a tire with this equipment.
    2. Jack up the passenger front wheel, swap the wheel with the spare, and lower the vehicle
    3. Jack up the rear driver side (use jack stand on support member), pull the wheel, inspect brakes, shocks, wheel well, and moving parts, clean tire, wheel, and mating surfaces of rotor and incoming wheel, lower vehicle,
    4. Continue this process with the front driver wheel to the rear passenger, then finally to back to the front passenger wheel. Make sure you clean mating surfaces and inspect moving components. I will usually put a thin layer of anti-seize on the mating surfaces because I live in New England.
    5. Once all tires have been rotated, use a torque wrench and set torque to published values. I use 90 to 100 ft-lbs, your values may vary. Set all 5 tires to their correct pressures. Inspect and clean where the spare is stored and secure it in place.
    6. Take vehicle for a test ride through surface streets then on the highway to test for vibrations.
    Tools needed:
      • 4 way tire iron
      • Wire brush
      • Inspection light
      • Brake Cleaner
      • Anti-seize
      • Tire pressure gauge- my truck has a setting where it will honk the horn when a tire reaches a targeted setting

View Quote

this is the right answer.
      Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:57:36 AM EDT
      [#13]
      Don't even think about it without jackstands.  A couple years ago, in a neighboring town, TWO separate people in separate incidents over the course of the year DIED from working without jackstands.   That said, all you need is a jack, jackstands, and a socket for the lugnuts.   And by "jack", I mean a decent floor jack - you can get one at HF for less than $100.  If you can't afford that, you really should let the shop do it until you can afford to do it at least somewhat properly.
      Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:39:34 AM EDT
      [#14]
      Buy four Powerbuilt All-in-one jack/stands - it’s a jack stand combined with a bottle jack. Easier than dicking around with separate jack & jackstands. on IFS/IRS unibody cars.
      Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:20:59 PM EDT
      [#15]
      Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
      View All Quotes
      Quoted:
      Quoted:
      Tools needed:
        • 4 way tire iron
        • Wire brush
        • Inspection light
        • Brake Cleaner
        • Anti-seize

Except for the bike pump part...
        Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:32:46 PM EDT
        [#16]
        As far as the jackstands, I've noticed that most cars only have a small spot for either the jack or the jackstand, but not both.
        This is why I've always used a tire place, but as I've said, most seem to not even have time to make a rotation without an appointment and a wait anymore.
        Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:00:58 PM EDT
        [#17]
        Quoted:
        Tools needed:
          • 4 way tire iron
          • Wire brush
          • Inspection light
          • Brake Cleaner
          • Anti-seize

View Quote
          This is what I do.  Only one floor jack, only one jack stand as a second safety.  I do not feel comfy with a vehicle on multiple jacks/stands.  I'm sure it works, have seen it done, but using the spare is a no brainer.  I set the parking brake and use wheel chocks as well.

ETA- yeah, the jack stand is close to the unibody jack point as I can get it.  Might cause damage, but surely better than not being there if the floor jack fails.
          Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:10:06 PM EDT
          [#18]
          I use 2 floor jacks.
          Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:39:10 PM EDT
          [#19]
          Get your spare tire, replace say the front left with the spare like changing a flat.
          Then replace the rear left with the tire just from the front left like it was a flat tire.
          Etc.

Like changing 4 flat tires, just need one jack
          Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:42:27 PM EDT
          [#20]
          .   Buy stands.  They’re cheap and don’t take up a lot of space.
          Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:43:42 PM EDT
          [#21]
          Quoted:
          I use 2 floor jacks.
          View Quote

This, and a bunch of cut 4X4’s for safety.
          Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
          Top Top