Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2018 7:25:41 PM EDT
One kid is finishing their first year as a dual Bio/Comp Sci major with a chem minor.  She blew off out of state full rides as a National Merit Finalist to go where she is.  I have no idea what her job outlook is going to be.  I fear her B.S. degree will simply be entry to grad school and not a job.

On the other hand, one should be fine at landing a job.

He is finishing his A.S. at a local community college and is accepted into his B.S. program at another in state school.  Right now he is signed up for Civil.   His precal, cal 1, cal 2, year of chem and physics, and most writing, etc. other stuff is done.  He had friends trying to talk him into an engineering technology instead of engineer degree “because you don’t need all the math or physics with calc!” But he has stayed the course.  He started thinking nuc, then mech, then electrical, then mech, and now civil.

My undergrad was in bio/chem, and my math ended after a year of calc.  I am pretty sure he he has calc 3 and diff eq coming up no matter which discipline he chooses.  Neither my undergrad nor doctorate are in engineering.  I can offer no career advice for him.  A BIL is ME but choosing to live by family and build on family land has left him very out of the loop on the job market.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Chemical Abstracts Service, my employer, hires people with those skills, but does he want to live in Columbus, OH and is that the sort of work he'd like to do?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Bio engineer. Get into stem cells and 3d printing. Organ printing based on individuals stems cells is the next frontier, a transplant surgeon during an AMA on reddit says 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
BSMET here.  Worked out quite well for me over the last 35 years.  Got a good retirement/pension from the first company I went to work for (31 years) and now work for .gov and still going strong.

Engineering degrees open a lot of doors.  If I had to do it over I'd get a couple of degrees.....probably Civil along with the Mechanical.

A .gov job probably awaits on a regular basis, as well as corporate America if they want to deal with more of the corporate rat race.  I would think the energy and/or mining fields would be good for a long time down the road
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Better than a BA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay out of Engineering Technology unless he wants to end up on the manufacturing floor working on planning, or quality, maybe tooling.  Tell him the advice he's getting from lazy friends is really bad and will lead him to living in a van in a health club parking lot.  (The first part of that is true.)
View Quote
This.

Get out of MFG.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Electrical, Chemical, Petroleum have classically been high paying at even the BS level.

Civil with a PE (professional Engineering license) gets high if you end up being a principal in a large company.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a pair of civil engineering degrees. Like others have said stick with the full engineering degree and not the engineering technology. I think all types of engineering have pretty good outlooks over the next while. An exception may be petroleum if we can find some whiz bang technology but even if the outlook for those folks drops a bit it's still pretty dang good.

One big thing is even within a specific area, say civil or electrical, the career paths and possibilities are pretty much endless. Want to work in an office and never move and make good money? You got it. Want to work outside? You got it. So pick what's interesting and what sounds fun. Some of the biggest returns to a career will be a lot of the soft skills side, like good communication skills. And a willingness to take on new jobs/challenges possibly in new places.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Avoid any degree with "technology" in the name.  You might make good money with one, but if you do then you could've made more with an actual engineering degree.

Any "real" engineering has good overall prospects with a BS - hard to go wrong.  Unless one knows exactly what they want to do I would go with one of the basics - mechanical, civil, electrical, etc.
Make sure they have a plan to get their PE as soon as they meet the requirements - it only costs a few $ and can open doors and get big raises.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Better than a BA.
View Quote
In general yes.
But a guy I went to college with got a BA in Physics followed by a M.S. in Materials Science (cone to think of it, unlike most majors with “science” in the name it really is a science) and does very well.

My undergrads was a BA in Bio/Chem.

The only difference between the BS or BA was a handful of electives could be done in non major type courses.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In general yes.
But a guy I went to college with got a BA in Physics followed by a M.S. in Materials Science (cone to think of it, unlike most majors with “science” in the name it really is a science) and does very well.

The only difference between the BS or BA was a handful of electives could be done in non major type courses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better than a BA.
In general yes.

The MS let him make up for the BA.

Especially in a real Materials Science curriculum.
It has gotten even better lately as we have been able to manipulate at smaller and smaller levels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a mechanical engineering in the Aerospace/Defense sector.  Outlook is good for us right now though that changes with the party of the presidency to some degree.

Mechanical, IMO, is the best degree as it covers most everything.  Personally, I work almost entirely in the fields of fluids and heat transfer (think reallly reallllly hot stuff going crazy fast).

I'd vote for ME over civil any day.  You know what they say, ME's build weapons, CE's build targets.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a mechanical engineering in the Aerospace/Defense sector.  Outlook is good for us right now though that changes with the party of the presidency to some degree.

Mechanical, IMO, is the best degree as it covers most everything.  Personally, I work almost entirely in the fields of fluids and heat transfer (think reallly reallllly hot stuff going crazy fast).

I'd vote for ME over civil any day.  You know what they say, ME's build weapons, CE's build targets.  
View Quote
And EEs build nifty triggers.

Years ago a company I worked for built the mine triggers for Haiphong harbor.

By making them rather sophisticated with some digital 'add ons' to the conventional trigger sensors they could not be swept by activating their regular trigger signal.

A combination of timers and counters meant the only way to remove them was to blow them up one by one with divers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I listened to the advice from the film "The Graduate" and went into plastics.

Pretty much EVERYTHING has plastics in it these days. People in my program went to work for Tesla, NASA JPL, J&J, GE. I went with AB-inBev (Budweiser). If you graduated with a decent GPA, you had the pick of the litter. Employers drooled over us at career fairs. I got offers at every employer I interviewed with and was able to command a pretty darn good starting salary.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a civil/structural and the job outlook is very bright. With the countries aging infrastructure, civil will be in high demand for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stay out of Engineering Technology.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mechanical Electrical, IMO, is the best degree as it covers most everything.
View Quote
FIFY.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FIFY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mechanical Electrical, IMO, is the best degree as it covers most everything.
FIFY.
The higher levels of math work very well in a lot of other fields.

EEs solve differential equations (every AC circuit and a few DC ones) using Laplace Transforms that reduces it to algebra.

Sometimes complicated algebra, but algebra.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The higher levels of math work very well in a lot of other fields.

EEs solve differential equations (every AC circuit and a few DC ones) using Laplace Transforms that reduces it to algebra.

Sometimes complicated algebra, but algebra.
View Quote

This

My vote is for electrical and/or computer science. With AI, automation, big data, and several related fields, the semiconductor industry is going nuts right now. We can't build chips fast enough. My employer recently had their best quarter, we made more money in a single quarter than in a single year in the history of the company. Unemployed will never be a part of your vocabulary with a degree in electrical or computer science.

And I say this with a degree in applied math and a minor in ME.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
AE's build weapons, CE's build targets, ME"s build the machines that go inside the target, and IE's chose what color to paint the machines. Agree go the full engineering degree, not a "technology" degree. IMHO, ME gives you the most options, from actually designing or building stuff to selling it (where the real money is). Amazing to me that petroleum engineering is still the highest paying entry job, as it was 36 years ago when I started.  AE, ME, CE (civil or chem,) is money in the bank. Computer engineering and similar is boom town but I tell kids you're competing with half a billion foreign kids that want it worse than you, and that job can often be done anywhere, not just in the US of A. Real engineers code to solve problems they're working on, coding for a living is a job, not an adventure. But it's a great time to be any sort of engineer so follow your passion. Big generation gap in my AO these days, so just gonna get better.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m Engineering Tech. QA engineer, not near as bad a gig as some guys seem to think-I don’t work on the plant floor do a lil research as to what kind are available where he wants to live and have him look at those routes-that’s what I did.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#22]
No matter how you slice it,
Every place I turn,
The opinion on the tech degrees boils down to-

Could not hack the math.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No matter how you slice it,
Every place I turn,
The opinion on the tech degrees boils down to-

Could not hack the math.
View Quote
And that is a kiss of death in Electrical & Chemical.
Four years of college math for those degrees.

The math department only taught about 1-1/2 of those years.

The engineering departments taught the remainder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you think about it,
Only a small portion of Americans has even done the basic first year of college Calc.

We are a country of extremes.
Some graduate HS with that already under their belt,
Others graduate HS or even college without what was once considered basic HS freshman algebra.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When you think about it,
Only a small portion of Americans has even done the basic first year of college Calc.

Others graduate HS or even college without what was once considered basic HS freshman algebra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you think about it,

Lots of truth to this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It has gotten even better lately as we have been able to manipulate at smaller and smaller levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Better than a BA.
In general yes.

Probably the majority of undergrad degrees in the US are made up for in graduate and professional school.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Barring any kind of "severe disruption" to the US economy, technology and related fields are always going to be in demand.  The differences will be in found among different sectors.
I'll echo what another post mentioned and add my plug for ME, and yes stay with the full program if you can, more doors will open.
I started into my ME masters program (materials science) and bailed early without getting the masters, when I got a nice offer as a software developer. That was 15 years ago.  

The only real downside would be if when we get another Obama wanna-be and they let the Chicoms/Indians flood in here to cut your salary 20-40%

Regardless, encourage them to learn the ways of investing and basic finance.  Read "Rich Dad Poor Dad"
At the end of the day, its not how much you make - its what you keep, and what kind of return on your investments that will see them into retirement, hopefully early retirement.
The engineering job is just a means to an end.  A smart young man will learn the money side of things and how to invest that "extra" disposable income.

5 years from now I want want to be managing my 2 brokerage and 3 retirement accounts, at least until lunch or so, then its off to the range.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Sex robots.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#29]
IEs choose the targets and how to deploy the weapons to get the most bang for the buck.  Not sure where you get the colors from.

Purdue IE here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top