Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 6:47:30 AM EDT
I just divested myself from what I thought was a decent FB( I know) page on Alabama Freemasonry.  There's been this big hoopla over whether someone would sit in the same lodge with a black man and how not having PHA in a Blue Lodge is racist and non-Masonic and on and on.  Without giving up too much, WTF is going on?  Is this going on everywhere?  My lodge is beyond my you-know-what since I moved to Mississippi so I'm not privy to what is talked about there but there seems to be a big divide between those who want the two practically merged and those who feel it is fine the way it is.  I hate fixing things that aren't broke that people then break to 'make better'.  Is the current way broken?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There's racists in every organization.

Here in PA, black men are welcome... however,  you don't see many.

We do recognize PH though. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I gathered by reading different coments and what I've heard mouth to ear a few years ago, PHA is not recognized, some who see racism in everything won't accept that fact and therefore, our lodges are racist because of it.  I have never personally heard anyone state they wouldn't sit with a black man in a lodge. I have heard many state that a Mason is a Mason, but lodge is not discussed with PHA.  I seriously think Liberalism is trying to, if not already has, infect F&AM like it does everything else.  "They" have to tear down everything. They start by accusing people of being: racist, sexist, islamophobic anti-gay, you name it.  

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in TX our grand lodges recognize each other. but you have to have permission to visit a PHA lodge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The only states that dont recognize PHA are all in the deep south, go figure.

http://bessel.org/masrec/phachart.htm
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Cool avatar.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
In Wisconsin we have recognition for visitation.    Prince Hall has so many Military Lodges we get a lot of kids that are Masons, but can't transfer.  PH won't release them and we require that they go through the degrees again.  Stupid.

I was a Grand Council officer, PMIGM, and a Grand Chapter officer, now Grand King.  When I was MIGM I tried to get the same recognition with PH RAM.  I can't do more because of Grand Lodge's recognition.  I met with heavy resistance.  Not from PH, but my guys.  PHGM and PHGHP were on board.  It was very discouraging.  Next year I'm GHP and I going to fix it one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In Wisconsin we have recognition for visitation.    Prince Hall has so many Military Lodges we get a lot of kids that are Masons, but can't transfer.  PH won't release them and we require that they go through the degrees again.  Stupid.
View Quote
They make them go through again, because the need re-educated.  Those PH guys that get made a Mason in a military lodge overseas get taught all sorts of bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
No problems in OH
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about the Prince Hall lodges that don't recognize F&AM or AF&AM?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw in Virginia the PH and Blue lodge both meet in the Washington Masonic memorial
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I saw in Virginia the PH and Blue lodge both meet in the Washington Masonic memorial
View Quote
In a joint meeting or separate?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Montana was the first State Grand Jurisdiction to recognize Prince Hall Masons but prior to that no Grand Jurisdiction would allow any person of color in (based on the qualification that it takes to become and Entered Apprentice "A man being free born"). Now all Grand Jurisdictions have no such restriction and all make it against the Code and Constitution to do so. The 9 Grand Jurisdictions that do not recognize Prince Hall view them as clandestine lodges now that anyone is welcome into there ranks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In a joint meeting or separate?
View Quote
It appears to be separate in the same building
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've only met one PHA Mason and he lived next to a house we were remodeling for a friend. I noticed his ring and asked him about it. 
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just divested myself from what I thought was a decent FB( I know) page on Alabama Freemasonry.  There's been this big hoopla over whether someone would sit in the same lodge with a black man and how not having PHA in a Blue Lodge is racist and non-Masonic and on and on.  Without giving up too much, WTF is going on?  Is this going on everywhere?  My lodge is beyond my you-know-what since I moved to Mississippi so I'm not privy to what is talked about there but there seems to be a big divide between those who want the two practically merged and those who feel it is fine the way it is.  I hate fixing things that aren't broke that people then break to 'make better'.  Is the current way broken?
View Quote

I've never understood this and is part of the reason I'm not more active. I thought all masons met on the level and race, creed, religion etc...didn't matter. If it DOES matter, then the institution means nothing. I might as well just join another organization.

Never understood why freemasonry sabotages itself like that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never sat with or even known a PH Mason.

But, my lodge has several minority members. A few Black dudes, couple Mexicans and one Asian guy, who is a member of this forum and displays the S+C. Nobody bats an eye. They are all good men.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
old racists in dying lodges, grasping at what little power they can muster.
if you can barely keep your lights on, open lodge, etc.. you have no business telling other lodges ANYTHING.
change is coming. just from sheer numbers of new brethren below the age of 40 and brethren above 60, unless they get a huge wave of new brethren to keep their lodge open, they'll either have to combine with other lodges or close their doors.
you can vote out only so long before mortality wins.
I've never personally understood it, because since my 1st lesson, I was taught all men are equal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
old racists in dying lodges, grasping at what little power they can muster.
if you can barely keep your lights on, open lodge, etc.. you have no business telling other lodges ANYTHING.
change is coming. just from sheer numbers of new brethren below the age of 40 and brethren above 60, unless they get a huge wave of new brethren to keep their lodge open, they'll either have to combine with other lodges or close their doors.
you can vote out only so long before mortality wins.
I've never personally understood it, because since my 1st lesson, I was taught all men are equal.
View Quote

My lodge is mainly over 65 I am in my 50's and practically a kid in the lodge. There are 3 lodges in the county with my lodge 1 is 150 years old and barely has enough attendance to open for a meeting. The other 2 probably have at least 20-30 at every meeting. The few members of the old lodge do not want to consolidate.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Our small rural lodge has two black members, one just left the east last year.  No PHA anywhere near us.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how true it is, but I was told the PHA  weren't recognized by the GL in GA because they segregated themselves a long time ago and gave up thier charter. I also heard Gate city lodge #2
In ATL, raised the first black man to MM in a GA blue lodge about 7 or so years ago. It stirred up quite a stink as I recall and I haven't heard anything about it since.
Ok I just googled it, apparently he was raised twice and blackballed both times.  He was raised a third time in 2013 and allowed in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know how true it is, but I was told the PHA  weren't recognized by the GL in GA because they segregated themselves a long time ago and gave up thier charter. I also heard Gate city lodge #2
In ATL, raised the first black man to MM in a GA blue lodge about 7 or so years ago. It stirred up quite a stink as I recall and I haven't heard anything about it since.
Ok I just googled it, apparently he was raised twice and blackballed both times.  He was raised a third time in 2013 and allowed in.
View Quote
You're confusing "Raised" with submitting a petition.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you a Mason?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's how they did it that got people upset. They ended up suing the grand lodge. His signers were lawyers and new what they were doing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#26]
All I know is PH Masons just about always throw signs to me going down the interstate here in TN when they see my Masonic license plate. I have friends in Florida that are PH. My impression of the ones in TN is they are very proud, and very much involved.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All I know is PH Masons just about always throw signs to me going down the interstate here in TN when they see my Masonic license plate. I have friends in Florida that are PH. My impression of the ones in TN is they are very proud, and very much involved.
View Quote
What kind of signs.

Ive never been thrown any signs by anyone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i have had prince hall give me the MM sign in store before and then come up and say hello while i was wearing a masonic shirt. it happens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of signs.

Ive never been thrown any signs by anyone.
i have had prince hall give me the MM sign in store before and then come up and say hello while i was wearing a masonic shirt. it happens.
So it's a PH thing?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#31]
My lodge is dying and it's all because of one old dude that refuses to let anyone in.  It took me 6 years to get admitted and the only reason I was finally voted in was because he was out of town on the night my vote came up.  He is unbelievably racist and is in general a pain in the ass.  He has said on multiple occasions he will never sit in lodge with a (*^&(*&#.  Pisses me off every time he says it.  He's run damn near everyone away.  The last meeting I was the only person in lodge not in a chair.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#33]
PA requires 3 BB's or a phone call to the DD and it better be good.

Still see one BB a year. Mostly cuz they are an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
alabama requires one. can be for any reason and it's considered unmasonic to discuss it or the reason. any brother can toss it for any reason.
View Quote
Same here,  but 3.

If it was 1 nobody would get in either. Somebody tosses one every vote. Same old guy that is the only one that comes to every meeting and when he's on vacation, no BB's in the box. Hmmmm.

PA changed it about 10 years ago, so one crusty old dude can't control the lodge.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#36]
We use black cubes, in case anyone is colorblind.  It only takes one to not be clear.  If the ballot is not clear, the Master immediately calls for a new ballot in case a mistake may have been made.  If it is again not clear, whoever made the objection has 48 hours to tell the Master why.  He then forwards the objection, in writing, to the Grand Master for a decision.  If the objector does not come forward within 48 hours, the ballot is declared clear.

In the case of the old fart that won't sit in a lodge with a "#$%^&*", the Master's gavel is more than ceremonial.  If anyone had ever said that in lodge when I was Master, I'd have thrown his ass out!  One night, I had a visitor from one of the states that doesn't recognize PHA.  At dinner before lodge, he made a comment to me about my SD.  I pitched his ass out right in the middle of dinner.  I don't play that shit!

Of course I also set the DDGM down one night too.  Now that was a good time!
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
the "old crew" is the reason i stepped away from lodge the year i was supposed to be WM. they made our lives hell for 3 years bucking everything we tried to do to grow and improve the lodge. even to the point of grand standing about the grass cutting schedule when none of them ever did it due to age. i knew i could not lead the lodge so long as they were there and i had no intention of being miserable and fighting with them every meeting so i stood down. I bought a life membership to stay current but have not been back to lodge since. I went to lodge to help better myself and community, not be miserable fighting with old fools.

Last i heard they barely had enough people to open lodge on meeting nights and were asking visitors to routinely stand in for 2 of the top officer roles during meetings. It's sad.

As one of the older guys that was a good man once told me. The only way to fix this lodge is with a few good masonic funerals. lol

it took me a long to time to realize that this was not masonry. This was not how it acts or what it teaches. This was a group of men that joined, ran through the degrees and learned nothing along the way. This is why i am VERY big on taking time during the learning the degree work and teaching men before allowing them to progress. One of the main reasons for the work as done to allow men to grow and take the next degree when they are ready. some may be ready in a week, others years. lack of education and proper vetting give us these fools. We should not be a good ol boys club.
View Quote
Agreed.  Once my year is up I will be moving to another Lodge.  It saddens me since that was where I was Raised, but I cannot deal with that level of stupid.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
alabama requires one. can be for any reason and it's considered unmasonic to discuss it or the reason. any brother can toss it for any reason.
View Quote
Indiana is the same way...
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ga. requires 1 . My lodge had a petitioner get a BB. The butthurt and discussions were unmasonic and epic. The lodge held a special meeting and got the guy who got the BB into the lodge. He was raised and has never attended a meeting since then.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hating on the Southern Brothers? You set my radar off. I can’t pinpoint what it is but there is something there.....
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We use black cubes, in case anyone is colorblind.  It only takes one to not be clear.  If the ballot is not clear, the Master immediately calls for a new ballot in case a mistake may have been made.  If it is again not clear, whoever made the objection has 48 hours to tell the Master why.  He then forwards the objection, in writing, to the Grand Master for a decision.  If the objector does not come forward within 48 hours, the ballot is declared clear.

In the case of the old fart that won't sit in a lodge with a "#$%^&*", the Master's gavel is more than ceremonial.  If anyone had ever said that in lodge when I was Master, I'd have thrown his ass out!  One night, I had a visitor from one of the states that doesn't recognize PHA.  At dinner before lodge, he made a comment to me about my SD.  I pitched his ass out right in the middle of dinner.  I don't play that shit!

Of course I also set the DDGM down one night too.  Now that was a good time!
View Quote
Wish this were the case in TN. Myself and three others were blackballed on one night and after hearing from others after the fact the entire membership, save whoever cast the black ball, was shocked and upset. So I've got 12 months to look forward to before I can petition again. Were it not for some incredibly welcoming and gracious members who reached out to me after the fact, including the WM, I would've been done with the whole thing due to how it all worked out. Tonight will be my first night back to visit since the whole debacle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#42]
GL of MA reconciled and recognized PH >10 years ago.
I recall sitting with some PH members once but they've never been back.

We have some very fine black gentlemen who are members of my Blue Lodge, men I am proud to call Brother!

When I worked for DEC, there was a very nice gentlemen who worked in the lab next door to mine. He told me that he was raised in a Military PH Lodge years earlier. I was extremely embarrassed to hear of the divide and racism from him but back then (early 1980s) there was nothing either of us could do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top