Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2021 3:10:55 PM EDT
I'm really sick of lifting this stupid lunchbox planer up onto a 34" work surface so I want to build a dedicated cart for it.  I've got some adjustable folding table legs from a busted table I'll add for infeed/outfeed support (collapsed they're ~19" tall.  What height do you have the bed of your planer at?  Right now I'm thinking about putting the bed at ~28-30" off the ground, mostly to save from bending over too much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 6'1" so I like my work surfaces a little high, adjust as needed.

Planer is at 31" It's on a rolling cart I built with a flip top. I didn't really plan for it to come out that height, but it did and it's OK.

Bench is 38 which I really like.
Router is 37".
Tablesaw is 36"

I'd say keep the planer lower though, since you're just feeding stuff through, why lift planks higher than you have to?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 6'1" so I like my work surfaces a little high, adjust as needed.

Planer is at 31" It's on a rolling cart I built with a flip top. I didn't really plan for it to come out that height, but it did and it's OK.

Bench is 38 which I really like.
Router is 37".
Tablesaw is 36"

I'd say keep the planer lower though, since you're just feeding stuff through, why lift planks higher than you have to?
View Quote
We're the same height and yeah I tend to like stuff a bit higher as well.  With a bad back at 34 I am paying a whole lot more attention to ergonomics than I had previously.  I had originally intended to make a flip cart for it and piggy back my miter saw on it since I usually roll both outside due to the mess  Then it dawned on me that would mean the height of one tool or the other would suck so I scrapped that idea.  I need to take some measurements to figure out if maybe pairing this with the Ridgid benchtop oscillating sander might be a good combo for a flip cart.  They almost always seem too high in people's builds.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Dewalt planer cart for mine.  Very small work area I have to set up for any wood working. Also have my jointer mounted on one too.  Not killing my back to set up a work area.  Of course this only works for bench top tools.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 I need to take some measurements to figure out if maybe pairing this with the Ridgid benchtop oscillating sander might be a good combo for a flip cart.  They almost always seem too high in people's builds.
View Quote

LOL,

That's my intention, I just haven't bolted it down yet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I made a rolling cart for mine years ago.  It’s the dewalt 735.  Great machine.  But a few parts have broken and been replaced

It’s got a drawer and a cabinet underneath, where I used to store my old hand planes and some other tools.  
Height is the same for the planer in/out feed tables and roughly my table saw is.  About 31” or so
MDF top edged with oak.  The planer is bolted to through the top
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
My table saw, out feed table, planer, drum sander and router table all share the same table heights.  This allows me to use anything and everything as a feed support.  

I did make the miter station taller though. The days I am using the miter station a lot I love the taller height. The days I am cutting down 30plus pieces of plywood and I have to use my circular saw to make the first cut because the miter station is in the way , I hate it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

bed is 44" off the floor so it will clear my router table behind it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257818/IMG_3285_jpg-2125844.JPG

bed is 44" off the floor so it will clear my router table behind it.
View Quote
Wow that's up pretty high. Doesn't look like you had much of a choice given your shop space.

Also pretty cool seeing your shop. I've seen some of your furniture builds over the years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top