Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2022 7:11:13 PM EDT
Say you’ve got a classic like a 98 Supra or 2022 Raptor that you’d like to keep running for another 30 years (gonna be tough with the Ford but still ) because you love it.

Let’s say hypothetically EVs (or otherwise non-gas/diesel vehicles) eventually come to dominate the market (I know this will never happen but humor me).

What happens to the gas/diesel infrastructure when we pass that inflection point?

Will it be affordable/possible to keep that collectible 1st gen hybrid Prius on the road?

ETA: For clarity, what I mean by gas & diesel infrastructure is primarily gas stations, those places we all fill our trucks up at.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I will be dead before they have enough juice to power all the EV's they want...there will also be 87 million dead battery packs they don't know how to get rid of.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Much like .32ACP, it'll get pricier if there are less that need/use it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Ranger that used r12 refrigerant.  I remember it got hard to find. Could be like that. Obsolete
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
JFC.  WTF did GD drink tonight?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
An electric frac pump would be kind of sweet to operate...
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Is my generator going to run on just air? My lawn mower, edger, and everything else?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JFC.  WTF did GD drink tonight?
View Quote

I’m drinking a little bourbon right now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is my generator going to run on just air? My lawn mower, edger, and everything else?
View Quote

Solar.

Batteries.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a ton of equipment and non-road vehicles that will still require that infrastructure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait until cheap ICE cars and refined products are bought up in Asia, LATAM and Africa.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#14]
We'll still need plastics, lubricants, and all the other things that refineries produce. Gasoline and diesel are going to be around for a long time, if only as byproducts.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Would anything happen?

EVs can replace commuter vehicles and short-haul trucks but not other things.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Going to be a long time before EVs dominate the entire US fleet, even with the increasing amount of new car sales. Think of all the people driving older cars now. That person driving a 96 Camry today is going to buy something new when they absolutely have to and they’ve got 30 years of choices when they start looking.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
You'll be long dead before it becomes a problem to find petroleum fuels.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#19]
There will still be a need for both, military, aircraft, boats etc.. but really I do not believe the EV will dominate the market, it's a fucking pipe dream.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I still manage to keep this running in today's brave new world. Granted, I can't go to AutoZone and get some parts over the counter. If there is a market, someone will fill it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Things don't change that fast, it's economically impossible.

The current rolling stock will get used up just like the current infrastructure will.

If you want to stop burning diesel in 50 years you have to stop building more diesel infrastructure now, and we're not doing that yet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Never fear OP, our benevolent government will take care of everything.
They have a comprehensive plan to elegantly phase out carbon fuels for renewable, and you will be happy to live on a cleaner planet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a Ranger that used r12 refrigerant.  I remember it got hard to find. Could be like that. Obsolete
View Quote

R12 became hard to find because the EPA taxed it out of existence. They will do the same thing to gasoline if we let them. Get out there and support the Rs, the Dems have lost all common sense.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#24]
If/ when that ever happens gas would be expensive.
I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

How many petroleum based products are in that picture?

As I see a lot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think CA for already outlawed all small engines. I don’t know when the law goes into effect.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#27]
.gov will confiscate them to maintain control over people’s transportation and where/when they can travel
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
If that happens, I will hop the turbine freight and go far outside the wire, where my uncle has a country place. Nobody knows about it. It was a farm before the Motor Law.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The current rolling stock will get used up just like the current infrastructure will.

If you want to stop burning diesel in 50 years you have to stop building more diesel infrastructure now, and we're not doing that yet.
View Quote

Cash for "Clunkers."
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How many petroleum based products are in that picture?

As I see a lot.
View All Quotes

Okay, I realize gas & diesel infrastructure encompasses a lot more than gas stations, but that's primarily what the question is about.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#31]
My question is how are the Harley pukes going to get their jollies
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Cash for "Clunkers."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cash for "Clunkers."

Had almost zero long-term effect on the used car market.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Going to have to get all that gas and diesel out of the asphalt for the EVs to drive on. Maybe while they're getting that out, they can get some propylenes and shit out to make the plastics for the sweet leaf logos. They can probably even squeeze some lubricants out of that dinosaur goo while they're at it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Keeping your gas vehicle running is the least of your problems. If we cut back on gas and/or diesel production then we also have to cut back on plastics, upholstery foam, semiconductor packaging, capacitor dielectrics, certain pharmaceuticals and all of the other stuff that we get from oil. You can't just say "this barrel of oil is all going to plastic", that isn't how it would
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Okay, I realize gas & diesel infrastructure encompasses a lot more than gas stations, but that's primarily what the question is about.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You get Buccees, Sheetz and Wawas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Say you’ve got a classic like a 98 Supra or 2022 Raptor that you’d like to keep running for another 30 years (gonna be tough with the Ford but still ) because you love it.

Let’s say hypothetically EVs (or otherwise non-gas/diesel vehicles) eventually come to dominate the market (I know this will never happen but humor me).

What happens to the gas/diesel infrastructure when we pass that inflection point?

Will it be affordable/possible to keep that collectible 1st gen hybrid Prius on the road?

ETA: For clarity, what I mean by gas & diesel infrastructure is primarily gas stations, those places we all fill our trucks up at.
View Quote

There is this saying about processing stuff :  “everything but the squeal”.

You have eaten pork rinds, right?

The skin of a pig, right?

Otherwise it would just end up in a landfill somewhere.

That’s the way the oil industry / refining is.

Raw crude has sulfur (sulphur?) in it.

EPA says you can have only so much sulfur in diesel, for example.

Well, the sulfur that gets extracted from the oil refining process gets sold to fertilizer plants.

Soooo if gas/diesel goes away, I bet fertilizer gets real expensive.

Yields per acre go way down…corn, soy beans, and wheat go up.

Then food prices go up.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Heads; mankind spends considerably less on fountain drinks, candy, and tobacco

Tails; rolling blackouts

ETA Before the interstate system the home town of my ancestors was on a main highway.  After the interstates went in cross country traffic flows changed and half a dozen gas stations became 5 empty gas stations with a sometimes tire shop.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
.gov will confiscate them to maintain control over people’s transportation and where/when they can travel
View Quote

They made a cheesy documentary about that back in 1981:

The Last Chase trailer (1981)

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ll go ahead and say EVs will NEVER supplant gas or diesel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your lawn tools will all be electric because the ICE-powered options will be forced off the market
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#41]
EVs will not dominate the market.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’ll go ahead and say EVs will NEVER supplant gas or diesel.
View Quote

Never is a strong word.

I put the "or otherwise non-gas/diesel vehicles" in as a caveat for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

R12 became hard to find because the EPA taxed it out of existence. They will do the same thing to gasoline if we let them. Get out there and support the Rs, the Dems have lost all common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have 2 cans of R12, I wonder what they’re worth.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We'll still need plastics, lubricants, and all the other things that refineries produce. Gasoline and diesel are going to be around for a long time, if only as byproducts.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
View Quote

We can use clean burning, renewable whale oil for fuel and lubricants.  Whale bone and sea turtle shell make a fine replacement for plastics.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#46]
The answer to your question isn’t straight forward. As there isn’t a defined answer yet.

In theory, gas stations could sell hydrogen. Easily. So another liquid fuel.  

However the big question is what does the company consider themselves?

Gas station owners don’t always consider themselves primarily in that market.

Some consider themselves grocery stores.

Some fast food.

Some real estate.

From there each company would have its own take.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Will oil become obsolete before or after I get my jetpack?  

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#48]
The Last Chase (1981) - Trailer
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My question is how are the Harley pukes going to get their jollies
View Quote

Punching soy boys who don't like Harley's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Oh Gee, another EV thread!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top