Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2021 1:30:27 PM EDT
I grew up playing awesome games like Operation Art of War, Tiller's Middle East '67, TacOps - games that covered modern combat at higher level than individual soldiers and vehicles.  Now, I'm hard pressed to find any war games that cover last 20 years, despite the fact that we had more discrete armed conflicts then any other period since WW2.  What's going on?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I got lucky a while back and found Heroes against the Red Star on flea bay cheaper.  Some of these games are pricey.

Cool game.  It's like Operation Flashpoint: CWC crammed into a cardboard box.  Now i want Heroes of Vietnam and Day of Heroes.

These are Squad level.  There are Platoon level games out there as well.  Like World At War 85.  Physical and Digital games.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pointer to Lock'N'Load - first I didn't realize that they had computer game versions, then I didn't realize they had modern day DLCs.  I remember being very impressed with original Panther Games Airborne Assault game, and wishing that it was transitioned to modern settings.  Looks like they did!

ETA: Oops, Command Ops 2 is still limited to WW2 and most of modern tactical DLCs are 'Coming Soon'.  :(
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:35:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the pointer to Lock'N'Load - first I didn't realize that they had computer game versions, then I didn't realize they had modern day DLCs.  I remember being very impressed with original Panther Games Airborne Assault game, and wishing that it was transitioned to modern settings.  Looks like they did!

ETA: Oops, Command Ops 2 is still limited to WW2 and most of modern tactical DLCs are 'Coming Soon'.  :(
View Quote

Matrix games on Steam has Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm that is a what if 80's combat.  I have not played this operational level game, but there are non-WW2 games out there.  I mostly play WW2.  For more Table top games with other than WW2 setting.  You might want to try GMT games.  

There are other modern type games that are not tabletop style, but more graphically intensive like Combat Mission.  Most of the early ones i have played were ok i thought.

Combat Mission Back Sea || in 2 minutes
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:08:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Matrix Games has a few.

Command Modern Operations
Armored Brigade
Combat Mission Black Sea
Combat Mission Shock Force 2
Afghanistan '11

There's probably more. There is also the Wargame series on Steam.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I play Company of Heros but it is WWII. Fun.

Check out G2A games, where you can buy Steam games for pennies in the dollar at times. I rarely buy Steam games off Steam any longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top