Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 8:29:08 PM EDT
I know it is said that Jesus’ body was placed in a rock-cut tomb after he was crucified.

I also know it is said that after he woke up, he eventually ended up in Heaven at the right hand of G-d.

What did he do in between waking up and arriving at the right hand of G-d in Heaven?

Thanks! And Shabbat Shalom to those of you who celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
He came to North America and ministered to the Lost Tribe in the Promised Land.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know it is said that Jesus’ body was placed in a rock-cut tomb after he was crucified.

I also know it is said that after he woke up, he eventually ended up in Heaven at the right hand of G-d.

What did he do in between waking up and arriving at the right hand of G-d in Heaven?

View Quote

It’s all in the book of Luke and/or Acts... he appeared many times to his disciples over 40 days prior to the ascension to heaven.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The Bible, especially the NT isn’t very long.
You should read it, it’s an amazing story. The greatest ever told!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Bible, especially the NT isn’t very long.
You should read it, it’s an amazing story. The greatest ever told!
View Quote

Agreed. Read it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The Harrowing of Hades
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

In Catholic theology it’s taught that Christ went to Hell - but not as a punishment, but to bring the light of salvation.

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p122a5p1.htm

ETA...  sorry. I read that as “What did he do between Crucifixion & Resurrection?”

For what he did after the resurrection, yep it’s in the New Testament.

One of my favorite parts is when He walks with two disciples, who don’t realize it’s him.

Luke 24:13-35

http://www.catholic-bible.org/luke/luke-24.htm
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
According to Luke he appeared to the Apostles, showed them his hands and feet, ate some fish, said he was the messiah, led them to Bethany, blessed them, and was taken up into heaven.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's all in the book of Luke and/or Acts... he appeared many times to his disciples over 40 days prior to the ascension to heaven.
View Quote
I thought the book of Luke said he ascended on the same day?

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
LUKE 23:39-43
39 And one of the robbers who were hanged railed on him, saying, If you are Christ, save yourself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Do you not fear God, seeing that you are in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man has done nothing wrong.
42 And he said to Jesus, Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
43 And Jesus said to him, Amen I say to you, Today you shall you be with me in Paradise.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In Catholic theology it’s taught that Christ went to Hell - but not as a punishment, but to bring the light of salvation.

ETA...  sorry. I read that as “What did he do between Crucifixion & Resurrection?”

One of my favorite parts is when He walks with two disciples, who don’t realize it’s him.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m glad you read that wrong all the same lol

I didn’t know he did anything between the time he was crucified and resurrected. I was just reading the link you sent and had just read that part. I came back here to ask you who wrote the Apostles Creed when I saw your edit.

So I’m clear, it is taught that he was crucified, then he went to the realm of the dead, then he was resurrected and what happened next is explained in the NT?

(I am reading the NT as well it’s just a little confusing sometimes.) Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
39 And one of the robbers who were hanged railed on him, saying, If you are Christ, save yourself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Do you not fear God, seeing that you are in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man has done nothing wrong.
43 And Jesus said to him, Amen I say to you, Today you shall you be with me in Paradise.
View Quote
Wasn't this before he woke up?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This happened before he was crucified, yes? (He was speaking from the cross to one of the criminals to the left or right of him, I believe?)
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the purpose in not typing God’s name?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
First, grab one of these.

Then check out the next link.

Churches in NC

you should check out one or two near you.  

Edited ~ medicmandan

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The movie Risen though seen through a fictional Tribune's eyes is a good account of Jesus activities after his resurrection.  

The Case for Christ is also a good account of the proof of Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The movie Risen though seen through a fictional Tribune's eyes is a good account of Jesus activities after his resurrection.  

The Case for Christ is also a good account of the proof of Jesus.
View Quote

I very much enjoyed Lee Strobel ‘s book
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Treating G-d’s name with reverence is just a way some people show respect for G-d. The Torah prohibits erasing, destroying or desecrating G-d’s name in anyway, so a tradition was started sometime ago to try and avoid writing his name out, less, for example, this phone be destroyed or someone print out these words and tear them up, etc.

It’s a simple and easy gesture of respect that also helps us to remember to keep G-d and His commandments at the forefront of our minds.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#19]
How can “God” be God’s name when English didn’t exist when the Torah was written?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:34:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How can “God” be God’s name when English didn’t exist when the Torah was written?
View Quote

I never thought of that actually.

I could definitely see it being done in literal Hebrew.

Good question, now that I think of it.
It could be a linguistic issue, or panem et circenses?

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This happened before he was crucified, yes? (He was speaking from the cross to one of the criminals to the left or right of him, I believe?)
View Quote

Yes, said he was taking him to paradise "today" - no 3 day waiting period.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I never thought of that actually.

I could definitely see it being done in literal Hebrew.

Good question, now that I think of it.
It could be a linguistic issue, or panem et circenses?

View Quote

Nobody ever does that with El-him or El Sh-ddai.

Seems like phariseeic virtue signaling
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dont think this only applies to english but all languages... respect is shown regardless
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I dont think this only applies to english but all languages... respect is shown regardless
View Quote

Really?

If I am understanding your post correctly then should we be writing:

G_D?
J_SUS?
H_LY SP_RIT?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Respect is shown in English with capitalization, not omitting letters

And again, I’ve never seen anyone write  El Add-nai
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#26]
He appeared to the Apostles numerous times, gave them instructions, instilled the spirit in them, then ascended bodily into heaven.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Thought you might appreciate this summary, but agree that reading the text is even better. He ended up appearing to over 500 people. Really short summary of post resurrection appearances. 1 Corinthians 15:5-8

Summary of some other verses
https://www.biblestudy.org/maps/ministry-of-jesus-after-resurrection-timeline.html

Might also enjoy this short video on some of the reasons to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus
5 Reasons to Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The scriptures don’t rule out that his spirit went to paradise immediately on His mortal death. And that wouldn’t preclude His spirit from later descending to Hell, Hades or Sheol before being resurrected, though scripture isn’t explicit on that event. Nor would it preclude Him from spending time walking around in a mortal body again after His resurrection. Nor would it preclude Him ascending to Heaven with His resurrected mortal body to Heaven.

What might appear to be an inconsistency isn’t necessarily an inconsistency. Skeptics tend to view silence on a detail as if it’s an explicit refutation of a the inclusion of that detail in another account.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thought you might appreciate this summary, but agree that reading the text is even better. He ended up appearing to over 500 people. Really short summary of post resurrection appearances. 1 Corinthians 15:5-8

Summary of some other verses
https://www.biblestudy.org/maps/ministry-of-jesus-after-resurrection-timeline.html

Might also enjoy this short video on some of the reasons to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQau4oXNc94
View Quote

Thank you for sharing that video with me @SideCarGT and thank you for the response. I did watch the video and although it was short as you said, it did answer at least one question I was wondering about. So thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad to help. Feel free to shout if you have other questions. I’m no Biblical expert, but am a believer in Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The scriptures don’t rule out that his spirit went to paradise immediately on His mortal death. And that wouldn’t preclude His spirit from later descending to Hell, Hades or Sheol before being resurrected, though scripture isn’t explicit on that event. Nor would it preclude Him from spending time walking around in a mortal body again after His resurrection. Nor would it preclude Him ascending to Heaven with His resurrected mortal body to Heaven.

What might appear to be an inconsistency isn’t necessarily an inconsistency. Skeptics tend to view silence on a detail as if it’s an explicit refutation of a the inclusion of that detail in another account.
View Quote

Great post.

I think it's important to remember that God doesn't experience time linearly, but rather all at once.

Sometimes we place our human limitations in Him.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a really good point! Something not being said is too often used as “proof” it didn’t happen. And I agree that on its own, it really doesn’t disprove anything.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Glad to help. Feel free to shout if you have other questions. I’m no Biblical expert, but am a believer in Jesus.
View Quote

I will keep that in mind @SideCarGT I really appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Actually, one of his brothers took his place on the cross.   Jesus wandered for several years then ended up in a small village in Japan.  The village still exists and visitors can see the grave.  Google it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#36]
To be clear: No one is telling anyone how they should write anything.

I choose to write G-d the way I do out of respect for Him.

I understand that not everyone will see that as necessary or even agree with it. No worries at all!

I was just answering the poster who asked why some people write it that way. I’m definitely not prescribing that anyone else do it.

Thank you for the question @Ohiogators
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Treating G-d’s name with reverence is just a way some people show respect for G-d. The Torah prohibits erasing, destroying or desecrating G-d’s name in anyway, so a tradition was started sometime ago to try and avoid writing his name out, less, for example, this phone be destroyed or someone print out these words and tear them up, etc.

It’s a simple and easy gesture of respect that also helps us to remember to keep G-d and His commandments at the forefront of our minds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I've always wondered why G_d was used though instead of something more in line with the actual name (or at least as close as we know how to arrive) like YHWH which still omits letters.

It's neither here nor there, I use "God" as Jesus appears to have used "Lord", a title not actually saying the name, though I'm not sure there's an issue there either. Saying the name and taking it appear to be two different things to me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back on topic
I believe in God, the Father almighty,
     creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
     who was conceived by the Holy Spirit
     and born of the virgin Mary.
     He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
     was crucified, died, and was buried;
     he descended to hell.
     The third day he rose again from the dead.

He ascended to heaven
     and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty.
     From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
     the holy catholic* church,
     the communion of saints,
     the forgiveness of sins,
     the resurrection of the body,
     and the life everlasting. Amen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I guess I've always wondered why G_d was used though instead of something more in line with the actual name (or at least as close as we know how to arrive) like YHWH which still omits letters.

It's neither here nor there, I use "God" as Jesus appears to have used "Lord", a title not actually saying the name, though I'm not sure there's an issue there either. Saying the name and taking it appear to be two different things to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The short answer is that religious Jews today try to avoid saying G-d’s real name in general. It is considered to be too Holy to say. So G-d is used as a substitution so as not to even accidentally say it.

Still, since we know we are talking about Him when we write G-d, we feel the need to respect it and protect it as well, as I previously mentioned.

I too agree that saying his name and taking his name is very different.

I hope this helps answer your question and thanks for sharing your thoughts on that matter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's interesting that Psalms appears to have it the other way round:

83:18 Let them know that you, whose name is the Lord    that you alone are the Most High over all the earth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's only partially accurate. Remember that Christ also used "I AM" when asked who He was.

John 8:57-58
The people said, “You aren’t even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?” Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!”

Among others:

John 10:30
The Father and I are one.

As God, He would have had no issue saying God, since that's who He is, thus fulfilling Psalm 83:18 and others.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top