Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2021 10:23:33 AM EDT
Tried reading their rules and regs but it confused the heck out of me.
They say anything up to .380 caliber. So 38 Super is good to go correct?
9x19mm should be good to go correct? I know the conventional wisdom says “military” calibers aren’t permitted.
But i saw where legally residents could purchase handguns such as Glock, Berretta 92’s, SIG’s, etc. in 9x19.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont think 9mm is okay because its a nato caliber

I dont think theyre cool with military calibers down there but Ill wait for someone more vetted to come along and speak the truth
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
All of them if you join a cartel
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
100 pesos to the local cop and any of them are legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
.38 Super
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Citizens and legal residents of Mexico can own firearms.
Just trying to understand which calibers they can.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
All of them.  If you get caught you just sneer at the cops and say "Plata o Plomo".

Advice not guaranteed.  All warrantees including warrantee of implied merchantability expressly reserved
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. You are going to be paying cash to get out of whatever you got yourself into regardless of the law.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#9]
38 Super is a favorite down there for sure!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
.380 is legal to buy and even carry if you can get a carry permit.

I shot a Glock 25 at gun range in Mexico.  It was interesting.

.38 Super is not legal, nor has it been legal for a long time. 5.56 is not legal, but .223 is legal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#13]
"Military" calibers aren't allowed.  Can't have the peasantry being able to use the Elite's Army ammunition against them.

I haven't seen the law, but I would imagine it is written that whatever gun can't chamber or otherwise use military rounds.  AKA it doesn't matter if a gun is chambered for "9x19 because it's not 9mm NATO" , it can chamber and fire 9mm NATO, so probably not getting through with those shenanigans.  I could be wrong.

In any event it doesn't matter; Mexico effectively does not have the Right to Keep and Bear Arms even though I believe it is in their Constitution.  They got like one gun store in the entire country.  Naturally criminals especially the cartels have no problem getting what they want.  They are a case study of what the Democrats want, officially you have the right but so many laws and elitism bar the path it's virtually unexercisable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Stolen from wikipedia.

Private citizens are generally restricted to semi-automatic handguns or revolvers of a caliber no greater than .380 (for home defense),[29] rifles no greater than .22, and shotguns no greater than 12 gauge (hunting and shooting when a member of a club).

Anything bigger than those calibers is considered for exclusive use of the military and strictly forbidden for civilian possession, as defined by Article 11 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives.[30] Only citizens with collector permits may be authorized to possess firearms outside those permitted for civilian ownership.

Sounds like what ive been told by folks from south of the border.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
.380 is legal to buy and even carry if you can get a carry permit.

I shot a Glock 25 at gun range in Mexico.  It was interesting.

.38 Super is not legal, nor has it been legal for a long time. 5.56 is not legal, but .223 is legal.
View Quote

That’s what the regulations said. “38 super” and “38 commander” are NOT legal. I have no idea what 38 commander is?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Interdasting.  

I was with a fishing guide once when we were held at gun point by Marines.  The scary part was I don't think they were trying to aim there rifles at us

They found an old rusty pistol while digging through his boat and asked why he had it.  He just said "Banditos".  They never mentioned caliber.  At the time, I didn't know you could have any handgun in Mexico so I thought we were fucked.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are cartel? All of them. Otherwise, it's not looking so good
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Back in the day .45 ACP was verboten.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#19]
38 especial
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
If you need to kill someone in Mexico join a cartel or drag them to the top of a temple and please the rain gods, it's their way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tried reading their rules and regs but it confused the heck out of me.
They say anything up to .380 caliber. So 38 Super is good to go correct?
9x19mm should be good to go correct? I know the conventional wisdom says “military” calibers aren’t permitted.
But i saw where legally residents could purchase handguns such as Glock, Berretta 92’s, SIG’s, etc. in 9x19.

View Quote

I believe but could be wrong, but most if all calibers that are used by the military are forbidden.  This is probably why you see such affinity for stuff like 38 super with mexicans.  They actually have a provision in their constitution that you have a right to keep and bear arms, but the problem is that there is only one legal place to buy guns in mexico and its on a mexican army base outside of mexico city and its by appointment only, so if you dont a appointment no guns for you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stolen from wikipedia.

Private citizens are generally restricted to semi-automatic handguns or revolvers of a caliber no greater than .380 (for home defense),[29] rifles no greater than .22, and shotguns no greater than 12 gauge (hunting and shooting when a member of a club).

Anything bigger than those calibers is considered for exclusive use of the military and strictly forbidden for civilian possession, as defined by Article 11 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives.[30] Only citizens with collector permits may be authorized to possess firearms outside those permitted for civilian ownership.

Sounds like what ive been told by folks from south of the border.
View Quote

Sounds like Biden’s dream for America.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Generally, things are as stated above - handguns up to .380, rifles up to .22 (they can be semi-auto), shotguns.

However, it is possible - if somewhat difficult - to obtain a license for colección (collection). Collector licenses have far fewer restrictions, and holders can buy things outside of normal legal limits (i.e. 9mm handguns, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
38 super is good to go

9mm not so much
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
There is a Mexican carry permit.  It is extremely rare.  

There is also a carry exemption for rural farm workers and similar.  They may carry Mexican-legal handguns, .22 rifles, and shotguns but can't go into urban areas.  They also have to get a special permit for this.

Licensed hunters can get rifles larger than .22, with yet another license.

From what I've been told by Mexican nationals, as is the case everywhere else in Mexico, most laws are routinely ignored and bribing your way to a permit isn't too difficult.  However, if you're a gringo, they WILL make an example of you.  Why?  Officials know they will eventually get paid a lot of money in order to let you go.  Rest assured that these "fines" rarely make it into government coffers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but you also have to make it clear to that cop that if he fucks with you that you will strangle him to death with his wife and/or children's intestines.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#29]
There is only one store where you can legally purchase a gun in Mexico. It is managed by the military. Here is the list of what they had in stock a month ago, and the price:

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/603847/EXISTENCIAS_DE_ARMAS_281220_1.pdf

Notice that yes, 9mm guns are available to the public.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#30]
From what I understood from looking into it at one point. You are supposed to get a lic and buy your guns and ammo at the gov store in DF (Mexico City) MAX 5 guns and 200rds. Best combo of the guns allowed you to own, to me looked like. That 18rd Glock in 380, a Rem 870 and a M-1 Garand. You are not allowed to carry them or have them outside your home or hunting club. The work around is... There are security companies that are lic to have armed guards. You pay them, and they higher you as one of there armed guards under there lic, with the job of guarding you. lol... See the work around. You aren't carrying a gun to defend your self. YOU are a lic armed security guard that's on the clock, with the job of guarding YOU... I still laugh at that. There is also hunting clubs and ranges, where you can have your guns stored locked up for you. So the guns you own in Mex stay in storage in Mex. Looked easier to do that than try and take stuff back and forth across the border.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#31]
looks like things may have changed... It was over 10-20 years ago when I was looking into it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know how their laws are actually written, but it seems like they are using "caliber." and "cartridge" interchangeably. If they can own up to .380 "caliber", that's a wide open field. .380 acp,9mm Nato,use .355  caliber bullets. .38 spl, .357 mag, use .357 cal. bullets. Their laws are like ours, written by idiots without a clue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m a resident of Mexico, own a house down in Jalisco.  

Short answer?  Everything is illegal.  Even pocketknives.  My Spyderco PM2?  Don’t take it to town.

38 Super has been illegal for almost 50 years.  

I don’t know of anyone that has gone through the legal channels to acquire the permits to buy and transport a gun.  

It’s not too hard to get a carry permit if you have money and connections with local municipal LE.  But the permit is only good for that municipality and is only good while the guy who issued it is in office, and it’s still dependent on the whims of the local LE (cartel) if you get caught with it.

Most everyone down there has a gun or two, but they’re all bought on the black market.  Ammo too.  Lots of Colt 1911s in 45 and 38 Super, buncha old revolvers, and shit like that.  ARs, AKs, stuff we like are not real mainstream outside of government/cartel use.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sounds like Biden’s dream for America.

View Quote

Wrong, only airsoft will be allowed with blaze orange barrel tip.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m a resident of Mexico, own a house down in Jalisco.  

Short answer?  Everything is illegal.  Even pocketknives.  My Spyderco PM2?  Don’t take it to town.

38 Super has been illegal for almost 50 years.  

I don’t know of anyone that has gone through the legal channels to acquire the permits to buy and transport a gun.  

It’s not too hard to get a carry permit if you have money and connections with local municipal LE.  But the permit is only good for that municipality and is only good while the guy who issued it is in office, and it’s still dependent on the whims of the local LE (cartel) if you get caught with it.

Most everyone down there has a gun or two, but they’re all bought on the black market.  Ammo too.  Lots of Colt 1911s in 45 and 38 Super, buncha old revolvers, and shit like that.  ARs, AKs, stuff we like are not real mainstream outside of government/cartel use.
View Quote

How much do authorities care about those illegal guns?  Are they pro-active about enforcing it?  Or is it one of those "keep your head down, keep your nose clean and we don't care kind of things?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is a Mexican carry permit.  It is extremely rare.  

There is also a carry exemption for rural farm workers and similar.  They may carry Mexican-legal handguns, .22 rifles, and shotguns but can't go into urban areas.  They also have to get a special permit for this.

Licensed hunters can get rifles larger than .22, with yet another license.

From what I've been told by Mexican nationals, as is the case everywhere else in Mexico, most laws are routinely ignored and bribing your way to a permit isn't too difficult.  However, if you're a gringo, they WILL make an example of you.  Why?  Officials know they will eventually get paid a lot of money in order to let you go.  Rest assured that these "fines" rarely make it into government coffers.
View Quote

The “Bite” is a big thing down there....... former co-worker and her husband got charged 500 bucks because he made a u-turn...... he either paid or went to jail
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There is only one store where you can legally purchase a gun in Mexico. It is managed by the military. Here is the list of what they had in stock a month ago, and the price:

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/603847/EXISTENCIAS_DE_ARMAS_281220_1.pdf

Notice that yes, 9mm guns are available to the public.
View Quote

Years ago on a whim I actually bought a Mexsar 22 that Century imported.  I think I paid about $150. It’s kind of a Mexican copy of the Marlin 60.  The build quality is way better than I expected.  And 5000 pesos!

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  38 super is good to go

9mm not so much
View Quote

Not actually according to their published laws.  Up to .38 Special & .380 ACP.  You could presumably get away w/ .38/44 in .38 SPL cases loaded @ .357 Magnum levels, but I think it all just comes down to paying enough bribes to keep anything you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top