Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2021 2:12:38 AM EDT
Grit 4000/8000 and that’s it? Brand new to this using the razor today. Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a quality razor without damage those grits should be fine to shave off of.  If you need to set the bevel and not just polish a 1K stone will be much faster.  If these are water stone (which im guessing they are) you NEED a method of flattening the stones periodically and perhaps the first time you use them depending on the quality of the stone.  You can flatten your waterstones with either a diamond plate or sandpaper mounted on glass.  I shaved for quite awhile using just a Belgian coticle, which is probably around 8k grit.  I have several Japanese stones which produce nice shaves, but are very expensive and harder to find.  You can mess around with diamond pastes on an old strop too.  Occasionally I will use such a strop to extend the time between honing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top