Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Used to live less than an hour from Lockhart, TX. It meant brisket.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I can only speak for myself, not my region.  Slow smoked meat, preferably with a dry rub, sauce is optional.  I like ALL the styles if well-executed.  I've had good and bad "E. Carolina" "W. Carolina"  "W. Kentucky" "Texas" "Memphis" "KC" etc...

Fuck I want some Q!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#3]
A BBQ, as in event, is a get together in the summer where food is cooked outside for a group of people. AKA "a cookout"

BBQ, technically, is slow smoked meat, usually pork, but can be beef or chicken as well.

Context matters here since the word/term has transcended its origin.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Here in the peoples republic of Nuevo York a BBQ is a grill.  Come over for a BBQ means hamburgers and hot dogs, maybe if you're lucky, skirt steak.  Going out for BBQ means ribs or pulled pork or brisket.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]
People around here use it for both something you do and something you eat, almost always either burgers or dogs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was once in this weird town in Wisconsin where they used "barbecue" to refer to sloppy Joe's.

I take it to mean low and slow smoking.
Burgers and hot dogs are grilling, not bbq.
View Quote

A real sloppy joe is BBQ pulled pork though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#9]

You’ve never had smoked sirloins? Pity. Smoked Pastrami is the shit too...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Cooking on the grill is called “grilling” or “having a cook out”.

BBQ is specifically slow cooked meat in a pit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is not a grill.
It is not a smoker.
It is not a party.
It is not grilled chicken with sauce poured on it when it is almost done.

It is meat. Pork or beef cooled low and slow in a smoker. Your choice of rub or sauce is optional.

View Quote

It actually is the grill and a method of smoking...barbecue comes from barbacoa in Spanish, a boucan in French where it derives from the Caribbean grill used for smoking. The squatters on Haiti (Hispaniola) were called boucaniers (barbecuers) for their use of the boucan to smoke pork beef and fish. Since many of them took to piracy to support themselves buccaneers became the common term for Caribbean pirates.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Bitch, I'm in Texas. BBQ means BBQ.  

Most frequently done with a nice sidebox smoker.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I wasn't raised by sticklers by any means, but we always call a grill a grill.  Only retailers (i.e. Lowe's) call it a barbeque.  Kinda like "apparel" when real people say "clothes."
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Could mean meat cooked on a pit or smoker.  

Can also be short for barbacoa.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#15]
OP fail as there’s no option for just “sauce”?

J/k, I’m not from NC.  BBQ is a way of preparing meat.  Amateurs start with pork and as they master the craft can move up to beef.  Not all get there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Those are some mighty fine smoked beef ribs; and I'm sure they're tasty.
But it's not barbeque anymore than smoked brisket is barbeque.
If it didn't squeal, it's not barbeque.
Those Texas smoked sausages are really good; but they're not barbeque.
They're smoked sausages.

If it didn't have the squeal, it won't be barbeque.
And there's a few century's of history to support the fact.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Definitely a cooking style.
Depending on where you are in the world. Everyone has their own take on what bbq is it can be Texas brisket, Kansas City ribs, nyc style yuppie bbq, Carolina vinegar based pork bbq.
Here in Florida the natives would cook meats over smoldering fires on the side of the rivers heavily based on fish and pigs that came over from Spain. They called these grills buccans.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd be interested in seeing how many of those who insist "BBQ" has an absurdly narrow meaning, despite all of the clear evidence to the contrary, also think Mountain Dew and Seven Up are examples of "Cokes."
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess the real reason the definitions are a bit different in Texas is that BBQ and smoking are generally considered 2 different things.  While I will smoke a pork butt - many people will just throw it in a crock pot with sauce.  Since the sauce becomes the dominant flavor most of the time - it really does not change the finally product that much.  When I do smoke a butt, I rarely will cook it over 225.  Now with a brisket, or even more so Chicken, it is not all that uncommon to cook it up to 350.  While I personally do Brisket low and slow as well (smoke it), many of the more famous Texas BBQ joints will do turbo brisket, or start brisket at 350 and gradually move it down the pit (as additional briskets are put on) lowering the temperature throughout the cook.  They can do a brisket in under 4hr.  Pretty sure Salt Lick and at least 1 or 2 of the Lochart joints do a turbo method.

I am not that critical to split brisket between smoked and BBQ'ed, but I do suspect the history of turbo-Q might be part of why most of Texas will consider a butt smoked rather than BBQ'ed - and also why butt is rarely sold at BBQ joints in Texas (even when they do sell pork rips and pork steak).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Great tasting pork.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Means cooking over coals here.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I typically say BBQ when i'm referring to cooking meat low and slow. I usually try to say "cookout" if I want to have a get together at the house and grill food, drink beers, etc. For the most part it's fairly interchangeable depending on the person and their background.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Bare Back Queen
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We can't be friends anymore. May God have mercy on your soul.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BBQ meant any meat that would have BBQ sauce applied to it.

Grilling is steaks, sausage, burgers, hot dogs etc.

We can't be friends anymore. May God have mercy on your soul.

Well said sir!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here in the peoples republic of Nuevo York a BBQ is a grill.  Come over for a BBQ means hamburgers and hot dogs, maybe if you're lucky, skirt steak.  Going out for BBQ means ribs or pulled pork or brisket.
View Quote

SMDH
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd be interested in seeing how many of those who insist "BBQ" has an absurdly narrow meaning, despite all of the clear evidence to the contrary, also think Mountain Dew and Seven Up are examples of "Cokes."
View Quote

They are...what is your point?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#27]
In my AO, it means a trip to Dickey's or City Barbecue. I have a smoker, 2 grills, and am proficient with them all. I'm just too lazy most of the time.

Give me convenience or give me death
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#28]
BBQ means a grill and/or backyard gathering with food to the overwhelming majority of people around here. People think grilling = bbq

To me, bbq is a style of cooking, with regional differences (Texas/Carolina style etc).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Everyone keeps mentioning sauce.  I typically don’t sauce anything I smoke. I dry rub and leave the sauce up to the eaters taste

I admit I guess I don’t understand the term bbq.  This thread hasn’t helped. Haha
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top