Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 5:54:58 PM EDT
I've been wet shaving for about 6 years now and periodically have had to travel. So far I've gotten by with a cheaper brush in a travel container, shave soap in a travel stick that seals up, and a Gillette Super Speed. That worked wonderfully when I was staying in hotels but, being active duty, I have to periodically go into the field and usually take an electric razor for convenience. I am not a fan of it and want a better option. In the near future I'll be going into the field quite a bit more (and for extended periods) and eventually will be deployed on ship where I will likely spend some time in shit holes where charging the electric razor won't be an option. I've taken the cheap brush, travel container, and Super Speed on deployments before and it worked because I was on a larger base where I had a room to put all my crap vice living on ship where space is very limited or in tents on the move where again, space is limited.

So in essence, anyone have any set ups for shaving that save space and do a much better job than electric razors?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ever think about getting a good shavette?  Easy to pack,  lighter than a DE, uses half a DE blade.

For example. Parker Shavette  
View Quote
I didn't know that existed. Going to look into it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Barbasol.  Sensor Excel. 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a Dovo Stainless shavette so it would be closer in weight to my straight razor.  Plus it takes the longer blades so you can slice up more of your face in a single, misaligned stroke

Seriously, it's freggin dangerous...   I've NEVER cut myself as much or as badly with a real straight razor - those damn replaceable blades in the shavette make me understand why they called the DE razor a safety razor...
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Barbasol.  Sensor Excel. 
View Quote
I used to use canned cream and a Gillette Mach 3... don't really want to go back to cartridges and canned cream even though it is easy. There might not be a good answer for what I seek and I might be wanting the best of both worlds (simple, easy to do in the field or on ship, but still a nice clean, smooth shave).
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I picked up a Dovo Stainless shavette so it would be closer in weight to my straight razor.  Plus it takes the longer blades so you can slice up more of your face in a single, misaligned stroke

Seriously, it's freggin dangerous...   I've NEVER cut myself as much or as badly with a real straight razor - those damn replaceable blades in the shavette make me understand why they called the DE razor a safety razor...
View Quote
I've always been too intimidated to try a straight razor. I am at the point now that I only cut myself with my DE if I'm in a hurry and not paying attention. Then it is usually either on my neck by my Adam's apple or behind my ears when I'm shaving my head. The idea of a bigger blade that can really do some damage does not sound appealing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
While I love my brushes and soaps, when it comes to the field...canned shaving gel and a disposable razor. It works, it compact, and I don't care if it gets lost.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a cheaper Feather DE razor and use Shave Secret oil. Very small bottle and you only use drops of the oil when shaving. A little different but works well if you have to fly....it's under 3oz so the TSA doesn't get their undies in a bunch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Hoffritz travel razor, or one of their clones which were made by several companies.  About 2"x2", razor breaks down into 4 pieces....and Creemo.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Barbasol.  Sensor Excel. 
View Quote
Barbasol and Bic disposables
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've always been too intimidated to try a straight razor. I am at the point now that I only cut myself with my DE if I'm in a hurry and not paying attention. Then it is usually either on my neck by my Adam's apple or behind my ears when I'm shaving my head. The idea of a bigger blade that can really do some damage does not sound appealing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was too until I decided I was tired of paying for blades.  The KEY is start off with something guaranteed sharp (shavette fills this need), shave with the grain, and use a VERY shallow angle.   As you get more comfortable, you can adjust the angle.  EVERY time I cut myself I was either rushed, or not paying attention and using too great an angle.   IMO, If you learn on a shavette, the real straight will be much easier.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually have a straight razor, an Arko soap stick and a Nox-All Razor Hone in my shaving kit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#13]
A three piece gillette tech or open tooth "new" breaks down smaller than a superspeed.

Skip the gillette travel techs, their handles are far too small and are fucking terrible to use.

Then it's just a matter of greasing up the mug.  I'd try cremo for that though I haven't myself.  I don't shave in the field and bring arko and a brush anywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While I love my brushes and soaps, when it comes to the field...canned shaving gel and a disposable razor. It works, it compact, and I don't care if it gets lost.
View Quote
I've been doing this and it works. Lots easier than trying to clean a brush in the field and dry it out so it doesn't get that musty smell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a travel tech and a tube of CO Bigelow cream.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Cremo or shaving cream under the 3.4 ounces and a disposable or Gillette razor if I am not checking a bag.  Not great, but keeps my neck and cheekline clean enough for the office.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Barbasol, Original.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Barbasol.  Sensor Excel.
View Quote
Dorco and Cremo these days.  Shave Butter is a bit thin, but works.  No brush.  No cup.

After three days, it is like running a dull lawnmower through a forest, but a fairly fresh Dorco cartridge and the Cremo really makes for a nice shave. I get a month out of a blade if I shave every day.  If I skip some days, it seems to really shred any blade.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
fuck shaving...havn't done it reguraly since i had to wear an Air Pack....
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Same thing I use at home.  My most regularly used razor is a Gillette Pre-War Tech+Cremo. Other days a WW1 issue original model, or a 1905 Single Ring.

You guys who shave with straights have some big brass ones.  I've tried it, not for me.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#21]
This is the answer you seek:

and any razor you like. Awesome product!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I know you said you don't like cartridges but I find them the best solution.  I travel a lot and use those Gillette Fusion 5 cartridges.  4 cartridges can last me as long as a month.  The travel size shaving cream cans don't last long and are sometimes hard to find but I'll use soap in a pinch.  Buy the cartridges at Costco or online as they can be expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top