Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2020 7:39:47 PM EDT
What do you do with your auto when it’s not on your wrist? Do you just throw it in a drawer and let it unwind until it stops? Do you have some kind of electric auto winder? Curious how people store their watches; It seems like if you put it on an auto winder you still need to set the time and possibly date when you want to wear it so I’m wondering if there’s any benefit to using those, other than having a shelf load of cool looking watch goodness. Also what happens if you stop a hacking movement and just leave it stopped? Does it stop the entire movement, leaving it wound?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 4-spot winder but have about 10 autos, so they’re usually just idle. If I’m thinking ahead I’ll hand-wind and set the one I plan to wear the night prior. For my couple of non-handwind watches I end up wearing them through the morning with the wrong time before I get around to setting them.

People think laziness don’t be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I only have 6 autos, but zero winders.  I try to rotated enough to keep them all running, but frankly I don't mind the process of shaking, and setting watches, something cool about at that to me.  Also there's debate about winders being good/bad or which model is good or whatever, so I personally am in no hurry to get one.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got two and have two more waiting to be delivered.  I just wind them twice a day.  One does stop every now and then so I just set and wind.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one winder, but quite a few automatic watches. The winder only gets used if I plan on putting a particular watch back on my wrist in a couple of days.

ETA: All of my watches can be hand wound.

ETA2: I have a 6 slot display box, but I mostly keep my watches in padded leather storage/travel cases.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch box.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By unsub073:
Watch box.

https://i.imgur.com/fQgLhV0.jpg
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have leather watch rolls and don't use winders. I give each some love when I wind/set them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Toss it in my watch box or on the nightstand
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BB:

Nice
View Quote

Thanks.  I picked it up off Etsy.  The guy does really nice work.

Watch Box
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I sold them all but two and only keep the one I don't wear as much because it was a gift.  It became a job trying to sort all the autos out.
If I had a really good watch winder I could see how it wouldn't be a chore, but every watch winder I had was crap, even the expensive ones.

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#11]
They sit in my watch box. I have a double watch winder, but I hardly ever use it anymore. I have a mix of quartz, autos and manual winds. Its just easy enough to wind and set the time and date on the autos before I wear one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By unsub073:
Watch box.

https://i.imgur.com/fQgLhV0.jpg
View Quote

Yup. This.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Winder.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The one I'm wearing gets put on my nightstand for the night then wound or worn to wind when I get up.

The other one sits in the safe. If I wear my beater G-Shock they just sit in the safe.

Eventually I'll pick up a watch box.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#15]
One on my wrist, two in the winder and the rest go into the watch box. I rotate what's in the winder and that usually determines what's on my wrist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top