Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Drawing. I can get in the zone for hours. It's relaxing, and there's always more to learn.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Mountainbiking
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been through many hobbies and sports that I was passionate about, RC building and flying, Scuba diving, Photography
and Tennis.  After I retired a few years ago, I got the golf bug and it's about all I want to do.  I'm also a very good cook and
doubt I will ever lose that passion...cuz I like to eat good food.  About to get back into fly fishing which was my travel passion
and now I am living on the San Juan river and have it at my back door.  I need to change my AO in my bio.

Interesting, I just reread my post and I didn't mention shooting, not sure why but it's not as high on my priorities these days
and therefore I didn't mention reloading, which I also enjoy as a relaxation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Deer hunting. I love being in the woods and waiting on a big buck to come my way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have my hobbies but I love my job. I get a special satisfaction in doing what I do in my line of work. Probably one of the most mentally engaging jobs I could ever imagine having…and when I hit retirement it’s going to suck because I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
GOLF And Caddying. Love It.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#7]
photography, not all about gear, but the Art of Photography.
I love looking at monographs of photos and experimenting with trying to replicate some of the photos with my own style.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a "project" guy. Building a new trailer now. Next will be something with the plasma cutter. Keeping our place tight is a full time job for me. I love being retired. After having 70 employees I find being alone to be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I love making videos. I know it sounds stupid as hell. But I mean videos of our kids on Christmas or Halloween or school events, having fun and laughing. I try and mix a serious side and a dash of humor. It's stuff my family can look back on and have more than a few phone pics.
I would love to do those star/galaxy shots but I think it's a bit more $ to enter than I'd want to spend. Haha
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Let's face it, the reality is that very few people end up in a career they're passionate about.  The next best thing is having a job that provides you with enough income and time to pursue the things you're actually passionate about.

Try something new, hiking, boxing, BJJ, MTBing, learn to play an instrument, etc. Find something that stimulates your mind and indulge in it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve jumped around all my life. First was models as a kid then photography in 9th grade until I started driving.  Then cars. Got into the restoration business and did it for 10 years and hit a wall.  Changed careers.  

Got into building and flying RC.  Got in deep. No time and raising a family killed that passion. Sold it all, bought the ‘66 GT Fastback to restore.

In the meantime I picked up photography again and a few models.

Fast forward to now. Retired and scale models are the passion.  Expensive photography gear now just sits.  I should sell it or give it to my kids.  Too heavy to carry around with my back issues now anyway.  

Got hundreds of kits in my stash. I could and have spent all day at my bench.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife
Shooting
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Ham radio and running heavy equipment. Both I learn something new, or try to, everyday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Washing cars.  It's fun and usually am happy to be at one of my locations.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Creative endeavors.

Design: I am a graphic designer. Love creating logos and identities for my clients. Enough that - with a few more larger clients - I’d like to start up my own one-man agency (til it grows enough to expand of course).

Writing: I love to write, have easily a dozen book ideas in my head and need to get them out. Just need time and to work on my prose.

Illustration: one of my first loves is drawing and I do it when I can. Need time. This is a recurring theme for me.

Photography: I have the equipment. Just need to go do things worthy of photographing. Utterly dependent upon … time.

Cooking: I’m a latecomer to the cooking thing but am trying to make up for it now. Good food is fantastic and is so much more than just sustenance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Washing cars.  It's fun and usually am happy to be at one of my locations.
View Quote

Great instant gratification hobby or profession!  Wish you were close by.  I hate having to keep my car clean.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Diving. Books. Great Lakes shipwrecks. History.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#18]
The girls I'm dating
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots of things, in short bursts, but the only thing I keep coming back to is guitars.

I can't play worth a damn, but I love collecting them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are only 2 things in my life that I feel any serious passion for.

The application of a very advanced neuroscience theory and things related to outer space. Especially the design and manufacture of new orbital class rocket technologies.

Probably sounds pretty odd, but I'm an odd person.
View Quote

Elon?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Writing: I love to write, have easily a dozen book ideas in my head and need to get them out. Just need time and to work on my prose.
View Quote

@macman37, have you published your work?  Do you have a website?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Offshore fishing it gets me jacked to the tits!!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not published anything more than my advertising work - headlines and such. I have a site but it's not relevant or even updated in the last 7ish years.

Words are part of what I do for a living but I love to write... I just need to study and write more.

It's like I need to work with a good writer who knows prose but has no ideas so we can co-write the books.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I love making videos. I know it sounds stupid as hell. But I mean videos of our kids on Christmas or Halloween or school events, having fun and laughing. I try and mix a serious side and a dash of humor. It's stuff my family can look back on and have more than a few phone pics.
I would love to do those star/galaxy shots but I think it's a bit more $ to enter than I'd want to spend. Haha
View Quote

Good for you! Don't think it's stupid at all, and instead impresses me that you're proly a good family guy and fun to be around.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#25]
For those who draw, do you use traditional pen/pencil & paper or something like an iPad Pro?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Practicing baseball with my kiddo and weight training with him.  Though I'm having a hard time keeping up with him lately.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And yet... You did
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not answering stupid questions on the internet.

And yet... You did

HA!!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Grand Strategy.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Guns, that simple. I am passionate about them. My goal in life is to take as many new people to the range as possible. Our goal should be to have every American armed, period. Rich, poor, black, white, green, red, blue, gay, straight, doesn’t matter.

My drive in life is to help the proliferation of arms in America. Doing this will prevent more gun control in the future.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For those who draw, do you use traditional pen/pencil & paper or something like an iPad Pro?
View Quote

Both but I am skewing more toward the iPad pro these days. Especially for color, unlike normal illustration you can’t just separate colors out by layer. It’s a game changer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I want to be constantly learning about something.

What would you say your specialty is?
View Quote

Dogs. Always more to learn.

Keeping, training, sports, showing, breeding, psychology, behavior, breeds, genetics, medical care, products, diet, history. A never-ending treasure trove of learning, activity, and competition, plus it comes with the bonus of devoted companionship.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Things change over time, I used to restore cars, then I raced them.  As I get close to retirement, I'm selling off the cars and investing in what I want retirement to look like.   Designing our retirement home, property and range.  I used to collect all sorts of Milsurp weapons, now I'm narrowing it down to US and Johnson Automatics.

So the things I enjoy are planning and building our future, smoking meats, Military History and Military Weapons

The problem with this is that I daydream about it all day and it makes these last two years of work feel like a prison sentence
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Audio.
Specifically, I'm a Mix Engineer and FOH (Front Of House) Engineer (A1). For about 15 hours a week, I make about an extra $15K/year.

TL;DR: It's my side gig - I'm a paid church employee. I work about 4 hours (usually less) one night a week running sound for rehearsal, and about 6 hours on Sundays running sound and recording multitracks of the worship sets. The remaining 5 hours are at home, sprinkled throughout the week, mixing one song from the recordings at my audio work station.

As a kid who was passionate about music - playing sax and guitar, composing and arranging - I also very quickly tried to figure out ways to record, or otherwise preserve my musical ideas. This started (at 14) as recording on cassette via boom box, bouncing tracks with 2 cassette decks while adding additional recording, composing and arranging songs on my Commodore64 using a SID editor, (at 19) recording songs on a 4-track Portastudio after programming drums on the C64, eventually getting into the newly accessible PC-based recording (1990s), and going further down the rabbit hole from there. In 2006 I decided to commit to really learning the craft, so I spent about $10K putting together a legit home studio and enrolled in Berklee's online music production program. I used my USAF tuition assistance and GI Bill Top Up to pay for the Berklee courses, and after 2 years I earned a Master Certification in Music Production. The diploma is worth fuck all, I did it for the learning and experience. My instructors were great and I learned and grew a lot. Off and on I participated in mix/remix competitions and other audio competitions. Won some prizes here and there.

Eventually I got turned on to running sound at my church, which at the time was pretty low threat - mostly muting/un-muting. After moving back here from Texas, the church we landed had a really awesome band and decent acoustics. After spending a few years in the band on guitar, bass, and sometimes filling in for the sound tech, they were desperate to replace the "retiring" audio engineer. I was resistant at first, but ultimately I love mixing - whether it's live or recorded - and it paid more than playing on stage.  Our band is mostly a core team of legit professionals who are there every week, with 1 or two additional vocalists on a rotating schedule. Having the same core team every week means I don't have to reinvent the wheel every week, so it can be fairly easy to a certain extent. I don't have to set up tear down anything. I show up, put batteries in mics and IEM packs, turn on the power, and wait for the band to start playing. I record multitracks to the computer during the 2 worship sets, then bring them home to pick 1 song to mix.

I also produced a track  for my worship director in 2017. That was a lot of fun. I think it's pretty cool when you consider it was originally just a recording of her playing keys and singing one of her originals for closing. I took it and produced it into a whole-ass song. I got paid extra for that (after the fact, lol). If I were to re-visit it today, I'd do some things differently with processing the drums, but I think it still holds up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#37]
nothing.

i am passionate about nothing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
nothing.

i am passionate about nothing.
View Quote

You must atleast be passionate about fat asses
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m passionate about having sex on a regular basis, now if I can only convince the wife ??
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Travel, weapons from around the world, stories about Vietnam War (France and America), Martial Arts since I was a child.

People think that Martial Arts is just what they learn at the local Dojo, Dojang, or Kwan. It has a long history that starts with learning the inner self physically, spiritually, .and mentally.
Many things have come from the Martial Arts like Accupressure, Acupuncture, Meditation, and Yoga. All good things developed through arts used for fighting.

There is so much to learn once you get involved with it.  My first instructors were both Special Forces Medics and set me on the right path. Not your typical pay for a belt type setup.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#42]
AR-15's and 1911's

Next firearm purchase will be a Stecatto P
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Reading, studying music, playing, and working on guitars for 40+ years, learning more DIY for my house, and honing culinary skills. These are my passions lately.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#44]
From age 9 to age 20, playing guitar in bands and reading.
Age 20 to 28. College and seminary. SOme work in the plastics industry.
Age 28. My fiance and getting a new career in the plastics industry (from previous studies to be an Orthodox priest).
29 to 65. Building my industrial composites/plastics sales work for my family and customers.
65 (Retirement) to today. Fighting cultural Marxism whenever I can, thinking about America and the West being under divine chastisement, preparing for eternity. Last, an apparent addiction to Arfcom GD.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Freedom
Jiu Jitsu
Flying
German Shepherds
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just a little hop West, and you'll be in better territory. Plenty of streams and lakes too.

-------------------------------------------------------

If I was to say that I'm passionate about anything, it'd be going to see Monster Trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDzt0Pbv-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQIhpKcnyn8

https://i.postimg.cc/ZRX0X2kM/2022-3-27_Bigfoot_Phone_Pics_(1).jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/jjdWfyQZ/2022-3-27_Bigfoot_Pacific_(23).jpg
View Quote

I already got tickets for 2023 Monster Jam!!!

Idk if it's something I'd consider I'm "passionate" about....

If anything, I'd say I'm passionate about the law and yardwork.

And when I say "law" - I guess it's more about researching and arguing points. I wish I had taken up debate or something when I was in school. I do enjoy presenting things, defending and debating them.

About "yardwork" - yea, sometimes it's like a chore I rather not be bothered with, but I enjoy decorating and cleaning up and stuff...

ETA:

I would add working out and jamming. The both go hand-in-hand because I enjoy moving to music. Now, while exercising also sometimes feels like a chore - I am passionate about the hard work it takes to get it done and maintain...and, testing my physical limits.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fighting cultural Marxism whenever I can
View Quote

@EastWest, how do you do this?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fighting cultural Marxism whenever I can

Not in very monumental ways. Just in emails/discussions with my four liberal siblings when public policy comes up. Also in personal conversations/emails with friends from my years as a musician (all are lefties) and those from my high school years (most are lefties). At one time I was engaged in posting conservative articles, comments when I was on Facebook (2012 until about a week following the November 2020 presidential fiasco). After AP and the establishment media declared Biden as president, I quit that platform in disgust. Finally, I try to politely educate my daughter's husband and son's wife who were both raised by lib parents. Both of them mean well, and thanks to their spouses (my kids) are slowly seeing the threat to their and their children's future from the left. The way I see it, I must stand up for the Constitution, prosperity and liberty any time I have the opportunity. And I am careful when having such discussions to maintain the goal of winning the war, not just that day's particular battle.
God bless...
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#49]
My soul has been crushed by my job... which also zaps most of my free time. So, there's not much I'm passionate about anymore that I actually have the time for. I guess the only thing I can say I currently have a passion for is scale modeling... an hour or two at a time in the dead of night.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I already got tickets for 2023 Monster Jam!!!

Idk if it's something I'd consider I'm "passionate" about....

If anything, I'd say I'm passionate about the law and yardwork.

And when I say "law" - I guess it's more about researching and arguing points. I wish I had taken up debate or something when I was in school. I do enjoy presenting things, defending and debating them.

About "yardwork" - yea, sometimes it's like a chore I rather not be bothered with, but I enjoy decorating and cleaning up and stuff...

ETA:

I would add working out and jamming. The both go hand-in-hand because I enjoy moving to music. Now, while exercising also sometimes feels like a chore - I am passionate about the hard work it takes to get it done and maintain...and, testing my physical limits.
View Quote
is your buddy going to monster jam as well?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top