Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/27/2022 11:46:44 PM EDT
The more I think about my dead end job as a power plant mechanic, I realize I am not really passionate about anything. I am not learning anything anymore. Ok, maybe some little stuff, but not much. my brain is bored constantly. I want to really be able to specialize in something. I do love guns and reloading, and that is 90% of what I do for fun, but I have noone to even talk about it with in person.

I want to be constantly learning about something.

What would you say your specialty is?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hunting, fishing, guns, poultry keeping / breeding.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
There are only 2 things in my life that I feel any serious passion for.

The application of a very advanced neuroscience theory and things related to outer space. Especially the design and manufacture of new orbital class rocket technologies.

Probably sounds pretty odd, but I'm an odd person.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I am passionate about arming Americans to resist future government tyranny. I thank God for the opportunity as I drive to and from my job. Sometimes I do it for free.

I'm a true believer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing

Ok il bite. I love going to the beach. I could literally sleep in a tent on the beach but it’s illegal. Fuck Illinois. God I got to get the fuck out of here
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything and everything trump!

Trump 2024!
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
International travel. Visiting other lands and experiencing other cultures has been wonderful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
i blackmail,extort, or remove communism using the interwebs

i am happy
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Right now, paramotoring.  Just had 9 flights today.

VID_20200804_061655_00_003_2022-11-19_17-58-14_screenshot by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Then there's Astrophotography.  Space is one of my favorite things to ponder about, while I'm taking photos of it.

Cygnus-Wall-Small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Then, just regular photography.  Always have a camera on me.  I really enjoy capturing, and what it takes to capture, slices of time that many never get to experience.

Emerald-Lake-3 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Emerald-Lake-4 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Emerald-Lake-5 by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Overall though, I just like learning.  If I'm not learning a new skill, I get bored very easily.  So, I basically am obsessive compulsive until I master, or at least, gain competence in the skill I am trying to learn at the time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Tracking lions is #1!! Keeps my brain and body fully stimulated… I think pursuit is in my DNA, once I can’t do that, I might as well die.

I live for hunting season, both guiding and hunting.

But PRS and NRL 22 are close seconds.

I listen to books on audible about subjects that interest me, so long as my lady isn’t in the truck yapping my ear off…
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Life is too short to not have a job you're passionate about. Unless you have a family and have no choice but to keep wageslaving a job you hate.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Be a positive force in my grandchildren's lives.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I love riding motorcycles and growing my business.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hunting, fishing, guns, poultry keeping / breeding.
View Quote

This ^^.
Learn how to go back to the basics. There is a LOT to learn.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Hunting, guns, my family, good friends. Making things with my own hands (pretty much anything I can, food, furniture, etc).

That's about it. Work has become a means to an end.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Bro come to Warfighter. Well talk your ear off about that shit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Bracket racing
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Having sex with my wife.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Dogs.
Their ancestors have been around 20 million years longer than us. I learn something new from them every day. And I'm a life time multiple dog owner.
Classical music.
Same reason, our ancestors perfected the music hundreds of years ago.
Food.
We're all wired for it. I'm passionate about the next meal that won't be boring and won't kill me in long term.
Exercise.
I like to reshape my body into something that serves me right.
Technology.
I'm specifically interested in latest finding in physics and medicine.
Fighting.
I will fight to the end to protect my loved ones, so I practice.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Mostly waterfowl hunting, and training my lab.
Then there's guns, and shooting, and fishing.
Then there's fishing and traveling with my wife.
I get the most joy of seeing my wife catch more, and bigger fish than me.
I have no kids, so nothing there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Wife
Kids
Rugby (work)
Content Creation (work)
Motorcycles
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m pretty much obsessed with golf.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Pleasure journal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I’m a touring roadie sound guy. I specialize in a certain live sound speaker system (brand) which is regarded as one of the three big industry standard names. According to the manufacturer I’m one of 9 certified “experts” in  North America with this system. I do design work, tour and do one offs for very large concerts, events, festivals, etc. This is my dream job and absolutely love it. It honestly feels like I’ve tricked people to give me lots of money for doing a hobby. I don’t go to work, I just wake up to go have fun. The stories and experiences I’ve had are out of this world and priceless to me.

It’s weird that my hobby is “work”. My down time is mostly spent with friends, family, my new found passion of BJJ, wrenching on my problematic but insanely fun BMW, and shooting. I travel so much for work that my down time is mostly spent where I live.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#25]
wood working

I work K-12 and coach a robotics team with 40 HS kids on it. We're decent at it and it consumes all my time for about 4 months. Makes the other work bullshit worth doing and it's not even part of my actual job
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know how it works out that way but here the next step for industrial mechanics/millwrights is to move on to be industrial electricians. Give that a look?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Firearms

The Constitution
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I’m passionate about helping friends and family foremost.  I’m also passionate about volunteering for the kickball league where my daughter played for 14 years and now plays as an adult.  

On this site I think it goes without saying that I’m passionate about guns and the AR in particular.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#29]
My family (specifically being a good dad), mountain biking, my job. In that order.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I skateboard with my daughter and am starting to take my daughter and son snowboarding this winter. That’s all I really have right now but I love it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Mostly everything.

I have a certain confluence of childhood induced factors which have crafted an ADHD personality that is either completely passionate about things, or could give a shit.

This creates an environment where I'm diving head first into new subjects while putting off the day-to-day stuff.

My specialty, which has simultaneously created amazing opportunity for me yet left me with crippling anxiety is learning new subjects.

I've gotten really well known for being able to quickly establish a comprehensive view on new things.

I just love learning and arguing. They are my two favorite things.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Hiking, specifically backpacking and camping.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Metalworking/woodworking, and saltwater fishing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Building RC planes. Could spend an average of 8 hours each day for many months doing it if I don't control myself!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Not answering stupid questions on the internet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically called everyone on this thread an idiot. Thanks for that. I'll bet you're fun to hang with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I've never had a job I liked, because there has never been a moment where I wouldn't rather be doing something interesting.

For hobbies, I have a bunch, bit the ones I am most into are shooting, ham radio, photography, and driving trails in the jeep.  Unfortunately these are all expensive and time consuming hobbies, and inflation is making that worse every day.

I would probably have a lot more in the bank if I didn't have so many different hobbies and interests.  But I gonthrough phases where I am really intensely interested in something and then I get bored because I don't have the time or money to achieve this or that next level goal so I shift focus back to another hobby and the cycle repeats.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Basically called everyone on this thread an idiot. Thanks for that. I'll bet you're fun to hang with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he say THIS question was stupid? He could be referring to OTHER questions on the Internet. Or are you just making an assumption?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Studying the American Civil War.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Music. I play the flute and the guitar, been playing since I was nine years old. I’m pretty serious about cubing as well (speed solving Rubik’s cubes). I’m passionate about dogs; they are God’s gift to an undeserving human race.  I’m pretty passionate about the Second Amendment and firearms as well.  I’m also passionate about my politics.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Everything
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been a vocalist all my life and I'm finally at a point where my ability with a guitar is where I've always wanted it to be. I'm still not an expert but I play/practice every day now since I retired.  I am a bit upset that it's taken me decades to get here but it kept getting pushed aside for wives & kids & the Job.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 4:15:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m a touring roadie sound guy. I specialize in a certain live sound speaker system (brand) which is regarded as one of the three big industry standard names. According to the manufacturer I’m one of 9 certified “experts” in  North America with this system. I do design work, tour and do one offs for very large concerts, events, festivals, etc. This is my dream job and absolutely love it. It honestly feels like I’ve tricked people to give me lots of money for doing a hobby. I don’t go to work, I just wake up to go have fun. The stories and experiences I’ve had are out of this world and priceless to me.

It’s weird that my hobby is “work”. My down time is mostly spent with friends, family, my new found passion of BJJ, wrenching on my problematic but insanely fun BMW, and shooting. I travel so much for work that my down time is mostly spent where I live.
View Quote

When you get paid for doing something that you enjoy and that gives you energy, you're doing it right.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#45]
RC stuff, primarily. Fixed wing for almost 30 years and multirotors/helis for for over 10. It's the one thing I can brag about because I'm a damn good pilot At my last club people I barely knew would walk up and hand me a transmitter because they knew I could fly anything and make it look good. I truly enjoy making people smile with my skills (giggity).

I've been deploying so much I haven't been able to fly that much in the last few years though, so my skills have probably taken a dump.

I was never much of a balsa builder but I like experimenting with foamboard.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I want to be constantly learning about something.

What would you say your specialty is?
View Quote

I'm doing a job that pays well, but I'm not passionate about it...I do enjoy the environment and most of the people. Best aspect is I flex my own hours so can work early, get out early, or flex extra hours and take a long weekend. And Zero Stress.

Aside from guns, knives, tactical gear/taking classes, training, and enjoying some good forum discussions on post-SHTF, apocalyptic-world fantasy shit, I do have other hobbies.

The wife and I enjoy backpacking. She recently set up her own roof-top tent for camping and visiting various places for both hiking and brewery visits. We want to eventually brew beer...for now, it's just trying new beer and new places. We're planning a boondocking trip to Ocala National Forest to paddleboard several of the springs over spring break.

We took up country swing and I tolerate my wife's love of country music and concerts.

We work out 5-6 days a week together. It's less a passion and more of a drive to enjoy our quality of life.

I'm not a gourmet cook, but we do have a pretty good time cooking up a variety of tasty but healthy meals.

We enjoy visits to the Keys, USVI and planning other Caribbean island visits for snorkeling.

Other hobbies that we just haven't had time for: mountain biking and kayaking.  My wife really wants to write books, but she's working on her doctorate, working as a graduate research assistant, and taking both a teaching-coaching and leadership endorsement; plus, she's tempted to teach online college classes...oh, and she works full time too.  She's too busy for too many "other hobbies"

We're just too active and busy now, but I want to raise chickens and garden...when my wife isn't too busy, she grows a variety of peppers and makes some excellent jams and hot sauces!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Rewarding, like in a profession?

I actually like what i do. I'm an industrial electrician. The most enjoyable facets are control circuitry and building control panels. Most of that time is spent diagnosing issues. It is usually something different almost every time. Each is like a new puzzle to solve.

When i was younger, i actually enjoyed two other jobs.

One was rough carpentry..framing, etc. Really physical, but when you walked away everyday, something showed for it. I hated finish carpenrty. Too fiddly for me.

The other was a side job running a track loader for land clearing. Landowners were usually blown away when they checked progress and were more than happy to come off a check for your work. That work can be dangerous though. No daydreaming. Doing a job in one area also netted a lot of other work from neighbors who'd seen results on the initial job.

Personal?

Currently, it is fishing and little boats. In Oct, i took two different trips to the gulf. I was happy as a clam push polling my new 16' Gheenoe though shallow sea grass for reds and specs. Also saw a freaking hammerhead that was almost as long as my boat. Wish i was there now.

Attachment Attached File

Locally, in that same vein...just drop me in for a kayak creek float to chase Spotted bass and I'm giddy-city. Pack a lunch and a few beers and I'm good all day. .

Attachment Attached File

Used to really enjoy backpacking, but Father Time wrecks me now. Nothing like waking under a hammock tarp on a cool morning. Nothing.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

And yet... You did
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I like to challenge myself at work. If you take on a slightly bigger project each time, it tests you, and it's tough, but enjoyable to work through it.

I have to call a supplier today to make sure they can work with my screw up from last week......otherwise I have to redo 2 days of work.....so I'm hoping they can roll with it.

Outside of work, I got nothing really. I lost interest in most of my hobbies in my 20's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I like to cook. I wouldn't want to do it as a profession though. I think that would take the joy out of it.

I do a bit of writing, which I'll never make money from.

I love muscle cars. I did own one once. Maybe I will again someday.

However mostly I would say simply the outdoors. I love nature. I dabble in nature and landscape photography. I like to go hiking. The girlfriend and will often just take long drives and explore new areas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top