Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2018 8:06:53 AM EDT
I smoked and enjoyed a Cuban cigar on a cruise over twelve years ago.What non Cuban cigar is closest to a Cuban flavor profile?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Since every brand and viola (size / shape) - and year / age - of Cuban cigat has a different flavor profile there is no answer without knowing what cigar you smoked.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
La Palina Mr. Sam
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m pretty sure it was a Cohiba.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m pretty sure it was a Cohiba.
View Quote
Are you positive it was a Cuban? Loads of fakes out there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
even among Cohibas there are many taste variations - behikes are different from esplenditos and both are different from siglos.  and they all will be different between the years.  don't get stuck on the taste, just start developing a palate.

I would suggest to start with something mild - maybe Arturo Fuente
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Every Cuban cigar I have smoked has been an "experience" but not every good or even great cigars has given me that "experience" except one. The Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduros give me that "experience" every time. To me they are that good....
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never run across anything non Cuban that reminded me of a Cuban cigar. I've had the Cuban and non Cuban versions of the big names, and the Cubans have a unique flavor. I actually don't like it.

Quoted:
Every Cuban cigar I have smoked has been an "experience" but not every good or even great cigars has given me that "experience" except one. The Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduros give me that "experience" every time. To me they are that good....
View Quote
I would take a Padron anything over any Cuban I've ever smoked. Padron Anniversary series are probably the best cigars I've ever had in my life.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Really depends on the blend, as others have stated.

Padrons - I like them, but for the price tag I'll go Fuente every day.

Fuente - I'm a fuente guy.  50-60% of what I smoke is fuente.  From Hemingway Short stories, to  Forbidden X Taurus the bull.  I have boxes and boxes of every type of fuente.  Full box of Fuente 20th Anniversary, full box of Taurus the Bull, Full boxes of Opus X's...  Etc.

Crowned heads -  I like a number of their releases. I've REALLY enjoyed the Buckeye Land recently, it's very good for it's price.  But I also like this years las calaveras too.  The Tennessee Waltz and Yellow rose are strong, but decent.

And I could go on and on...
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll take a Dominican over a Cuban any day. OP, try a Diamond Crown Maximus, an Opus X, a Fuente Don Carlos, or an Ashton VSG.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Or you could just buy Cubans, if you're resourceful.  Complying with all applicable laws and regulations of course.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
El Triunfador
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m pretty sure the Cohiba I smoked was authentic Cuban cigar. I was on the QM2 a Cunard ship in the smoking lounge. Would Cunard risk they’re
reputation providing fake Cuban cigars?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll take a Dominican over a Cuban any day. OP, try a Diamond Crown Maximus, an Opus X, a Fuente Don Carlos, or an Ashton VSG.
View Quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Tell me, do Cubans to you have kind of a benzine-like quality to them? Almost like you're breathing diesel fumes?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Tell me, do Cubans to you have kind of a benzine-like quality to them? Almost like you're breathing diesel fumes?
View Quote
My experience with Cubans overall has been...meh. Nothing special.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you a regular cigar smoker or is this your once every 5 years cigar?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I’m a very spotty cigar smoker, every few years.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I know it doesn't answer your question, but go grab a Tatuaje with the brown label, an Oliva V, or a Pepin JJ. Solid smokes that I think most would enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m pretty sure the Cohiba I smoked was authentic Cuban cigar. I was on the QM2 a Cunard ship in the smoking lounge. Would Cunard risk they’re
reputation providing fake Cuban cigars?
View Quote
You assume Cunard knows if it’s stock is real or not.  Fakes are a big problem and cohiba is one of the most faked brands out there.  I’ve found fakes in resorts, airports, cigar shops. And keep in mind that most of the time it wasn’t like the entire stock was fake.  It was a particular box or two.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
There are huge variations in Cuban flavor profiles from brand to brand. There are flavor profile difference from year to year in the same brands. The size of the cigar will also have different flavor profiles.

What flavor profile do you like and I can PM you a brand and a location that can get you what you seek.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]
There is nothing special about Cuban cigars.  Just that they are quasi unobtainable.  Cigars from other areas are just as good.  Yes, I have had Cubans overseas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top