Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2018 12:35:43 PM EDT
Keeping this short:  I've got a young kid that keeps me busy, don't make it to the gym as much as I'd like.  On the occasions that I do make it to the gym, I find myself using the dumbbells the most.  I'm thinking that if I had an adjustable dumbbell set at home, I'd be able to use those more often, and on the occasions that I do make it to the gym, I can use that time to focus on other things.  An adjustable dumbbell set will in no way replace the gym, but it will allow me to be able to get more exercise in, as they will be more accessible to me and I wouldn't be away from my kid as long.  I have an adjustable bench already that was given to me, so I can use that with the dumbbells.  An adjustable set that goes up to 50 pounds per dumbbell will cover most of what I do (I know, I'm weak).  What is a good set that you can recommend that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a used set of the Bowflex ones on Craigslist.

I picked mine up for $100.00 And they work great.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, been looking on craigslist, just not much available.  It's either used commercial dumbbell sets for 4 grand, or the all in 1 fitness machines...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find a used set of the Bowflex ones on Craigslist.

I picked mine up for $100.00 And they work great.
View Quote
Until they break, which they will and they won’t sell you parts.

The block type are way tougher.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Until they break, which they will and they won't sell you parts.

The block type are way tougher.
View Quote
The above!

Look for powerblock dumbbells
PowerBlock
You can expand to 90 lbs with these
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using my set of Powerblocks for over 10 years and still love them.  The ONLY thing wrong was not getting the 125 lb expansion pack when I had the chance.  They don't make them for my old set anymore.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I should hope for a black friday sale on power blocks.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Powerblocks or Ironmasters.

All other adjustable dumbbells are either awkward/inconvenient or fragile plastic junk that won't survive a drop.

Ironmasters are the most similar to traditional dumbbells, so they're better for folks with large hands. Powerblocks take a bit of getting used to since your hand is inside a box.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Powerblocks or Ironmasters.

All other adjustable dumbbells are either awkward/inconvenient or fragile plastic junk that won't survive a drop.

Ironmasters are the most similar to traditional dumbbells, so they're better for folks with large hands. Powerblocks take a bit of getting used to since your hand is inside a box.
View Quote
What would you recommend for someone with small hands?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of Powerblocks, have owned my current set for a few years now, and even bought my wife a set of her own.

I would advise checking them.out in person, however, as some folks really don't like the "hand in a box" feeling. If you were in the Atlanta area, I'd let you test drive mine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I would do the powerblocks if I had to do it again, but I have Bowflex 1090's and I do like them a lot.

The Powerblocks go up to heavier weights than 90#.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of Powerblocks, have owned my current set for a few years now, and even bought my wife a set of her own.

I would advise checking them.out in person, however, as some folks really don't like the "hand in a box" feeling. If you were in the Atlanta area, I'd let you test drive mine.
View Quote
Thanks!  I'll have to see if any stores in my area carry them so I can see.

Nope, I'm a long way from Atlanta.  I live in the land of bourbon, bluegrass, and thoroughbreds, Kentucky.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the powerblocks up to 125 lbs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
These are pretty heavy duty and relatively inexpensive, if you don't mind manually changing plates.  The biggest drawback is the proprietary bar size which means only these plates will work, although the collars are sized very well to snug up small 1.25, 2.5 and 5lb olympic plates against the stock plates.   I have two of the 52.5 lb sets and two of the 40 lbs add-on sets.  Each dumbell is loadable to 125 lbs.

It is hard to keep the collars snug but the worst case scenario is they start rattling a little during your lifts and a quick twist re-tightens them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These are pretty heavy duty and relatively inexpensive, if you don't mind manually changing plates.  The biggest drawback is the proprietary bar size which means only these plates will work, although the collars are sized very well to snug up small 1.25, 2.5 and 5lb olympic plates against the stock plates.   I have two of the 52.5 lb sets and two of the 40 lbs add-on sets.  Each dumbell is loadable to 125 lbs.

It is hard to keep the collars snug but the worst case scenario is they start rattling a little during your lifts and a quick twist re-tightens them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42575/Dumbells_jpg-725742.JPG
View Quote
Those certainly are more affordable, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/42575/Dumbells_jpg-725742.JPG
View Quote
Spinlock dumbbells are fine for most movements (as long as the collars are secure enough for overhead lifts), but the ends of the handles are painful on the thighs when/if you use your knees/top of the thighs to get heavier dumbbells into position for bench press. This is one area where Powerblocks excel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Spinlock dumbbells are fine for most movements (as long as the collars are secure enough for overhead lifts), but the ends of the handles are painful on the thighs when/if you use your knees/top of the thighs to get heavier dumbbells into position for bench press. This is one area where Powerblocks excel.
View Quote
Thanks for the tip!  I do use my knees for some of the weights I'm using now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had them all. spinlock, bowflex, promaster, powerblocks.

In the end I kept two sets of powerblocks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Merax. Check amazon, its in kg. They go up to 75lbs each. I feel they lock up better than the bowflex.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my Iron Masters.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Power blocks, no question. I used mine for P90X for years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the bowflex ones and I'd buy them again.  Use them a lot, have held up well.  Get the stand.

I don't drop them though....and if you like to drop your weights, get a set of those manually adjustable ones that are just a bar and weights you slide onto the bar.

Had mine for about 2 years and they have served my usage well.  But I'm not tossing them around or anything.....sort of want to not have to fix/replace them, so I'm nice to them like I'm nice to my other things that I don't want to break.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Powerblock. I have the set that goes up to 90lbs.

They are indestructible. When my house was hit by a natural disaster, they were one of the few things that survived.

Also, when my son broke one of the pins that hold the weights, they overnighted me a new one free of charge. Great american company.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love my Iron Masters.
View Quote
Same here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top