Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2021 9:14:19 AM EDT
I posted this in the general forum but figured I’d get more honest and experienced replies here. I’m Looking at either the dji osmo action camera or gopro’s 8 or 9. Just looking for something to record my 8 year old daughter and new labs first hunting season. Looking to just use it as a head mount mostly. One thing I like is the longer battery life of the 9 because we hunt in some remote places with no power when we camp but I’ve heard there are a lot of defects/glitches in the 9. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty happy with my H6; the image stabilization is amazing and has only improved since then.

If I was in the market I'd get an H8; just t avoid the growing pains with the brand new models.

Some video...

It does some pretty good time lapse too

And even night time lapse

As The World Turns 20201118

Time Lapse Rig by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I posted this in the general forum but figured I'd get more honest and experienced replies here. I'm Looking at either the dji osmo action camera or gopro's 8 or 9. Just looking for something to record my 8 year old daughter and new labs first hunting season. Looking to just use it as a head mount mostly. One thing I like is the longer battery life of the 9 because we hunt in some remote places with no power when we camp but I've heard there are a lot of defects/glitches in the 9. Thanks guys.
View Quote
I have a trio of Hero8 cameras and find the image quality and stabilization to be quite good. My only hesitation with the H9 is the physical size of the battery is larger which requires all new chargers and spares.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Is OP gonna be a cam girl?  You want 4k.  Maybe 2 or 3 cams for the extra angles.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is OP gonna be a cam girl?  
View Quote
You do realize this is not GD. Right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't speak to action cameras, but there are some effective solar powered battery chargers that could help you stay up and running in remote locations. Although having a spare battery to swap in would also be a must, so you could charge one while using the other.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the 5, 6 and 7 Black.  The stabilization on the 7 is pretty good, way better than the 6, but that comes at the sacrifice of power draw, which renders the 7 utterly useless in cold weather.  I have yet to try the new 8/9 batteries to see is they fix this, but the new blue-tabbed batteries are supposed to be able to support higher power draws to allow for increased processing of the 8/9, so that might help in cold weather for the 7 (15ºF and below).  The 5 and 6 do much better in cold weather.

Regardless, you will still need to bring extra batteries.

The 8 Black does not have a replaceable lens protector, so that should completely remove it from consideration.  I'm always replacing those front glass pieces.  Between my dog being careless when he's on filming duties, and getting bashed up against rocks when I've got one of the cameras, those replaceable front lenses get scratched up with regularity on these cameras.

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't speak to action cameras, but there are some effective solar powered battery chargers that could help you stay up and running in remote locations. Although having a spare battery to swap in would also be a must, so you could charge one while using the other.
View Quote
I have an Anker 10W solar panel that lets me charge my GoPro and DSLR batteries, as well as my InReach and 10,000 mAh USB batteries.  In the summer months with the sun high in the sky, can stay on top of the charging requirements for 2 or 3 GoPro batteries and 2 DSLR batteries on a rest day; in the fall, however, with with longer shadows in the mountains, it becomes more difficult.  If the panel isn't in direct sun, it's not going to charge anything.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the go pro 7 black is what I’m leaning towards. The ability to replace the lens cover is a big one for me. The only negative side from what I’ve read and what was posted is the batteries seem to die fast especially in the cold and I live in mn where it’s damn cold late in the season at times. Thanks for all the info. If anyone knows if the newer 8 or 9 batteries will make the 7 last longer let me know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the go pro 7 black is what I'm leaning towards. The ability to replace the lens cover is a big one for me. The only negative side from what I've read and what was posted is the batteries seem to die fast especially in the cold and I live in mn where it's damn cold late in the season at times. Thanks for all the info. If anyone knows if the newer 8 or 9 batteries will make the 7 last longer let me know.
View Quote
The Hero9 introduced a new battery that is physically larger and will not fit in the H7. The physical dimensions, voltage, and capacity of the H8 (blue) batteries from GoPro are identical to the ones used for the H7 (1220mah). You can find 3rd-party batteries with more capacity (example). FWIW, my experience with 3rd-party batteries in GoPros is "mixed."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top