Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2021 4:11:59 PM EDT
The other thread about maps got me thinking. What off road maps (GPS) do you all use?

I have always used the Polaris Ride Command app. Works well for what I've ridden. The offline maps are nice. But it's very basic.

I've downloaded Backcountry Navigator Pro app, but to get downloadable maps for offline use requires a yearly payment. Not sure I want to go down that road.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use a garmin nuvi. It’s not ideal for trails, but I can and need to download the topographic maps to get more off-road oriented stuff.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the USFS mapping that I mentioned for driving, but I use various forms of USGS 1/24000 quads at the same time.  I have Gaia GPS on my phone, and I have an open-source USGS 1/24000 on my handheld Garmin.  I use Topozone to make and print custom 1/24000 paper topos, and I also carry the USFS visitor maps.  There are also some really good backcountry maps of some areas published under the National Geographic name.

I have a garmin nuvi in the truck, a handheld garmin, my cell phone and I carry a lensatic compass too.

I like navigation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a few different ones depending on what I'm doing. Mostly Gaia GPS. I like to download trail maps from trailsoffroad.com and upload them to my phone. It's nice to have when you have no signal for sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
OnX and GAIA are probably the two leading GPS apps you can download to your smartphone.  Both have their pros and cons.  I kind of bounce between both of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Gaia has been my go-to for the past 4 years.  Have never felt the need to try out anything else.

Super easy to create your own trails, import others' trails, can use on multiple devices, and is cheap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have OnX.  They have better maps in my area.  Your selection may vary depending on your locale and destination.

Gaia is better if you have CarPlay as it has an app to show on your display.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just use a garmin nuvi. It’s not ideal for trails, but I can and need to download the topographic maps to get more off-road oriented stuff.
View Quote

Did that years ago with an old Nuvi 200. The old ones had a full size SD slot. I had some free topos from GPSfiledepot on the SD. That model Nuvi did not record tracks and the free topos could not be auto routed, but i could always see where i was on topo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The other thread about maps got me thinking. What off road maps (GPS) do you all use?

I have always used the Polaris Ride Command app. Works well for what I've ridden. The offline maps are nice. But it's very basic.

I've downloaded Backcountry Navigator Pro app, but to get downloadable maps for offline use requires a yearly payment. Not sure I want to go down that road.
View Quote

I bought Backcountry Pro a few years ago for a one time fee ($11) and can still cut and download maps. Did it two weeks ago for a trail ride with my brother. I've never paid them a dime since.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Lifetime Tail maps is what you seek. And you’re welcome.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lifetime Tail maps is what you seek. And you’re welcome.
View Quote

They show the bars where the single women and “girls night out” wives go?

More seriously, anybody run Gaia on a iPad?

I might buy an iPad just for big screen goodness.

Here’s another tip for Gaia: if you down load the historical USGS quads there is some amazing public lands info on there about abandoned roads and old homesteads and commercial activity long since abandoned on public lands. They have the Geological Survey from 1900, 1930, 1960 and 1980.

Great stuff for a metal detector.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I use the OnX map on my phone or tablet sense it shows property boundaries. I love my RAM mount for my phone and now want one for my tablet.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Gaia. I hate paying for it, but it’s been great to use. I’ll prob renew my subscription next year.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Caltopo pro master race
Etrex 22x, mostly for datalogging.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
OnX now works with CarPlay.  Yay!
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OnX now works with CarPlay.  Yay!
View Quote

I can’t get OnX hunt to work but OnX Off Road seems to work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Free version of Gaia has worked well so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top