User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wouldn't this be an oversimplification of the Trinity? The Trinity is one being (God) that consists of three persons (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit)?

Thus, you cannot separate Jesus from the Holy Spirit, unless you begin to explore natures.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266262/Holy_Trinity_Template_jpg-1994649.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All three are the same. Jesus.

Wouldn't this be an oversimplification of the Trinity? The Trinity is one being (God) that consists of three persons (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit)?

Thus, you cannot separate Jesus from the Holy Spirit, unless you begin to explore natures.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266262/Holy_Trinity_Template_jpg-1994649.JPG

No, it wouldn't be an oversimplification.  It would simply be wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Jesus makes it easy. He's all three. Man makes it complicated.

It's not science, it's Faith.

Non-believers and agnostics will never let go. Faith is a powerful thing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I am still finding my way in faith, but it was my understanding that it is to deny god unto death.

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus makes it easy. He's all three. Man makes it complicated.

It's not science, it's Faith.

Non-believers and agnostics will never let go. Faith is a powerful thing.
View Quote

But that's just it...Jesus isn't all three aspects of the Trinity. I must confess that this is a new one to hear, even for me. I have heard that there is no Trinity, that Jesus is not Divine, etc., but not that Jesus is solely existent, sans the Father and/or the Holy Spirit.

How did you arrive at this belief?
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But that's just it...Jesus isn't all three aspects of the Trinity. I must confess that this is a new one to hear, even for me. I have heard that there is no Trinity, that Jesus is not Divine, etc., but not that Jesus is solely existent, sans the Father and/or the Holy Spirit.

How did you arrive at this belief?
View Quote

It’s basically repackaged Sabellianism (a modalistic variant).

Popular in the Pentecostal movement, though others fall for it as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, but a Sebellianism where all three modes are labeled under the heading of "Jesus" as opposed to "God"?

Yeah, that's a new one for me. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow, but a Sebellianism where all three modes are labeled under the heading of "Jesus" as opposed to "God"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus is my God. It's just a human identifier, a name.

*God comes up in many conversations but when you say the name Jesus is when many become uncomfortable.

People who are adamant that they are in control of their lives will always be afraid to let God-Jesus in. Doing so would be perceived as a weakness ... unacceptable.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All sin is forgivable. Man is not perfect, Jesus knows this. But true repentance comes from ones heart not through their lips.
View Quote

Again, to say that all sin is forgivable defies not only the Sacred Tradition, but the very verses of Scripture already cited here. Not all sins are, apparently, forgivable for at least one is definitely not.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Jesus is my God. It's just a human identifier, a name.

*God comes up in many conversations but when you say the name Jesus is when many become uncomfortable.

People who are adamant that they are in control of their lives will always be afraid to let God-Jesus in. Doing so would be perceived as a weakness ... unacceptable.
View Quote

Ironic how many of those same people who recoil and lash out at the name in the context of preaching can use Jesus Christ as a curse word multiple times a day (often adding the F-word in between) and it just rolls off their tongue without a hint of shame.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Again, to say that all sin is forgivable defies not only the Sacred Tradition, but the very verses of Scripture already cited here. Not all sins are, apparently, forgivable for at least one is definitely not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All sin is forgivable. Man is not perfect, Jesus knows this. But true repentance comes from ones heart not through their lips.

I look at it this way ...

Jesus promises to never reject the one who comes to Him.

The one who commits the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is rejected.

The one who comes to Jesus has yet to commit blasphemy, the unpardonable sin.

Jesus will accept anyone who comes to Him
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I look at it this way ...

Jesus promises to never reject the one who comes to Him.

The one who commits the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is rejected.

The one who comes to Jesus has yet to commit blasphemy, the unpardonable sin.

Jesus will accept anyone who comes to Him
View Quote

Are you a once saved always saved believer, or do you believe that someone, like Judas, can come to Jesus and then reject Him later?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you a once saved always saved believer, or do you believe that someone, like Judas, can come to Jesus and then reject Him later?
View Quote

You didn't ask me, but I believe someone can fall away. I do not believe God would willingly let them go, but He will not stop someone who is determined to leave the faith. I believe God will never allow someone who is "saved" to be plucked out of His hand, but if a person insists on falling away He will not deprive them of their free will either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

[color=#ff0000]You didn't ask me, but I believe someone can fall away. I do not believe God would willingly let them go, but He will not stop someone who is determined to leave the faith.[/color] I believe God will never allow someone who is "saved" to be plucked out of His hand, but if a person insists on falling away He will not deprive them of their free will either.
View Quote
I fully agree with the part in red. Our agency to choose is one of our my precious gifts, and in fact, one of the reasons we came to Earth. Part of Mormon theology (and this is probably better saved for its own post) is that in the pre-existence, Satan wanted to compel all of God's children to never sin, remain sinless and thereby return to God. Christ's plan allowed all who came to Earth the right to choose to follow God or turn away, realizing that this plan results in the loss of some souls.

I disagree with the part in magenta. God very much would willingly let them go. He would not be happy, and in fact the heavens weep when a child leaves. But he will not compel them to stay. I don't think 'willingly' is the right adverb here.

I think the two parts of the blue text are contradictory to each other. What do you mean by "plucked out of his hand" as opposed to "falling away"?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I fully agree with the part in red. Our agency to choose is one of our my precious gifts, and in fact, one of the reasons we came to Earth. Part of Mormon theology (and this is probably better saved for its own post) is that in the pre-existence, Satan wanted to compel all of God's children to never sin, remain sinless and thereby return to God. Christ's plan allowed all who came to Earth the right to choose to follow God or turn away, realizing that this plan results in the loss of some souls.

I disagree with the part in magenta. God very much would willingly let them go. He would not be happy, and in fact the heavens weep when a child leaves. But he will not compel them to stay. I don't think 'willingly' is the right adverb here.

I think the two parts of the blue text are contradictory to each other. What do you mean by "plucked out of his hand" as opposed to "falling away"?
View Quote

Jesus died for your sins, so once you're His He won't let Satan test you so severely you have no alternative but to stop believing. But if you even as a Christian, are tempted to go after ungodly pursuits such that you voluntarily leave the church, then God ultimately won' t stop you.

Example: if a Christian decides a pagan religion better suits his needs, then God will let him go like a husband really can't stop his adulterous wife from running off with a lover.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Jesus died for your sins, so once you're His He won't let Satan test you so severely you have no alternative but to stop believing. But if you even as a Christian, are tempted to go after ungodly pursuits such that you voluntarily leave the church, then God ultimately won' t stop you.

Example: if a Christian decides a pagan religion better suits his needs, then God will let him go like a husband really can't stop his adulterous wife from running off with a lover.
View Quote
This doesn't apply to just to those who are "His". This applies to everyone. No one is tested beyond their ability to resisit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This doesn't apply to just to those who are "His". This applies to everyone. No one is tested beyond their ability to resisit.
View Quote

Not sure if I agree with this.  Without sanctifying grace, I don't know that we can resist temptations plied by spirits more powerful than us.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure if I agree with this.  Without sanctifying grace, I don't know that we can resist temptations plied by spirits more powerful than us.
View Quote

Agreed. It would seem, by his assertion, that Grace would have no role, though we know that without Grace nothing is possible.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their ability is through grace, otherwise there is no ability.

If he meant it as you're reading it, it would be pelagian or semi-pelagianian.

But, he could be condensing the concept of grace giving potentia, a la sufficient grace.

St. Paul uses the same language in 1 Corinthians 10, FWIW:

[13] Let no temptation take hold on you, but such as is human. And God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that which you are able: but will make also with temptation issue, that you may be able to bear it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You may want to revisit my previous post on the Catholic position, which almost always hinges on impenitence.  I don't think one should despair over one who genuinely repents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure man has free will, that has always been the case.  It just strikes me as sad that someone who genuinely repents and asks forgiveness would forever be cast out.  

Someone who makes a stupid mistake as a child, then finds Christ, genuinely repents for their transgression will still be forever be cast out.  But it IS God's world, and he is of course going to set things up however he wishes.  My opinion on whether that can be interpreted as an angry or vengeful God or not is of little consequence to God, or the rest of the world.  It is just an opinion.  God knew exactly how this entire thread was going to happen long before any of us were born.  

I feel badly for those folks who screwed up long ago, have genuinely repented, and are still rejected.  But as previous posters have noted, it is God's world to set up however he wants.

You may want to revisit my previous post on the Catholic position, which almost always hinges on impenitence.  I don't think one should despair over one who genuinely repents.

Despair is an order of magnitude greater than me being sad for those who are forever cast out even after genuine repentance.  I get sad when one of my tomato plants withers too, but I don't despair over it.

I find the way different sects interpret the same book (Bible) of great interest,  and how some think blaspheme against the HS is unforgivable, and other sects believe nothing is unforgiveable.   The debate is healthy and is why there are so many different religions, sects, and interpretations.  

People by definition have to believe their religion/dogma/sect is correct, otherwise, they would have to change to a different religion/dogma/sect.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People by definition have to believe their religion/dogma/sect is correct, otherwise, they would have to change to a different religion/dogma/sect.
View Quote

And water is wet, but that doesn't change the fact that there can only be One True Church because there is only one true Deposit of Faith and one true Gospel message.

So if the ultimate goal of a Christian isn't to arrive at the truth, then the droning of theological discussions is pointless. In other words, the goal of these discussions shouldn't be to have interesting talks one can share with their friends at Bible study. It should be to constantly evaluate if your on the right path.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And water is wet, but that doesn't change the fact that there can only be One True Church because there is only one true Deposit of Faith and one true Gospel message.

So if the ultimate goal of a Christian isn't to arrive at the truth, then the droning of theological discussions is pointless. In other words, the goal of these discussions shouldn't be to have interesting talks one can share with their friends at Bible study. It should be to constantly evaluate if your on the right path.
View Quote
So, is that the Catholic Church (in your view)?
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So, is that the Catholic Church (in your view)?
View Quote

As a Catholic, the answer is obviously yes. While some will say, "but I think my Church is the one true church so that cancels you out".

It really doesn't. The only other Church that could come close in claim, but still falls short, is the Eastern Orthodox Church.

As a Mormon, you obviously wouldn't I agree, nor would I expect you to.

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As a Catholic, the answer is obviously yes. While some will say, "but I think my Church is the one true church so that cancels you out".

It really doesn't. The only other Church that could come close in claim, but still falls short, is the Eastern Orthodox Church.

View Quote

To believe that Jesus came in the flesh, that he was crucified and rose from the dead, and He is the ONLY way to the Father, and to confess this before men, THAT is the one true church. It is not men in beards, pointy hats, or holy underwear.

Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To believe that Jesus came in the flesh, that he was crucified and rose from the dead, and He is the ONLY way to the Father, and to confess this before men, THAT is the one true church. It is not men in beards, pointy hats, or holy underwear.
View Quote

Catholics don't have anything to do with beards or holy underwear.

Again, you confusion and lack of knowledge is on full display in these kinds of posts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Again, you confusion and lack of knowledge is on full display in these kinds of posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said catholics had anything to do with beards or holy underwear. Two things:  One, not every post I make is directed at catholics, and two, please try to stop reading things into my posts that I haven't explicitly written.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree that we would not agree.

I wrote out a longer response about apostolic authority (not sure what term Catholics would use for this). But as it was getting far afield from the OP's original question, I stopped.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I never said catholics had anything to do with beards or holy underwear. Two things:  One, not every post I make is directed at catholics, and two, please try to stop reading things into my posts that I haven't explicitly written.
Thank you.
View Quote

You quoted me and my post and responded with that answer. If you don't want me to think it's directed at me then...don't direct it at me.

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
Thank you.
View Quote

Here you go
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You quoted me and my post and responded with that answer. If you don't want me to think it's directed at me then...don't direct it at me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you.

I quoted you but I wanted to make my answer more general and applicable outside just answering you as well. You are becoming argumentative. I must have created some doubts within you.

Beards are Orthodox and holy underwear is Mormon. I didn't think I'd have to explain it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top