Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2022 1:28:51 PM EDT
I know we should feed the poor, etc. but for how long and what if the person we’re feeding is taking advantage of us?  I’m not a church-goer, I don’t know the Bible; is this addressed?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure he said how long but he said in Mathew 5:42 to give to anyone who asks and to not turn away anyone who wants to borrow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know we should feed the poor, etc. but for how long and what if the person we’re feeding is taking advantage of us?  I’m not a church-goer, I don’t know the Bible; is this addressed?
View Quote

After Jesus said help the poor he did not say but or except.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't cast pearls to swine.

There are those who are given over to a reprobate mind.

If it be possible, as much as lieth within you, live peaceably with all men.

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Those who live by the sword, die by the sword.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]
2 Thessalonians 3:10
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
So what's reasonable help? Really, not argumentative.

Can you walk around with a $1200 cellphone and $100 a month bill while there's poor people that could be helped?

Just cut it at the 30% tax rate?

A $20 to the guy at the stop light a few times a week?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what's reasonable help? Really, not argumentative.

Can you walk around with a $1200 cellphone and $100 a month bill while there's poor people that could be helped?

Just cut it at the 30% tax rate?

A $20 to the guy at the stop light a few times a week?
View Quote
Reasonable to you or to Christ? Our scale and judgement is skewed, I know mine is. I think it best thought of as giving what you want from the heart no matter the amount or frequency. If you regret it or are apprehensive perhaps it is not the same as if you are joyfully giving. As clich as it is, the scale is WWJD.

Me personally I give to beggars if I have cash on me and feel led to. I once went and bought a combo meal for someone who had a sign saying they are hungry and as I drove off I saw them throw the food down in the mirror. I once gave to person I knew would go buy alcohol. I once was told by a lady she stood on the ramp as a job and makes more money that way than at a normal job.

My point here is it is I don't give any more in expectancy of a return on my investment with that individual but from the Lord if He sees fit. It is just a personal matter for me and the moment matters. If i chose poorly, my heart meant well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Jesus also said, those who won't work, won't eat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably not what you’re hoping for, but he said “don’t worry about, God’s got you covered”:

Matthew 6

“ 25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m fairly confident that was Paul, not Jesus. (2 Ths 3) Also, Paul said they didn’t have to work, but did so to set an example. I suspect the whole thing was a metaphor for the spiritual work he was calling them to do anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm fairly confident that was Paul, not Jesus. Also, Paul said they didn't have to work, but did so to set an example. I suspect the whole thing was a metaphor fir the spiritual work he was calling them to do anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fairly confident that was Paul, not Jesus. Also, Paul said they didn't have to work, but did so to set an example. I suspect the whole thing was a metaphor fir the spiritual work he was calling them to do anyway.
You are correct. I shouldn't trust my memory.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not specifically.

Jesus made statements from time to time that reflected that poverty wasn’t going away and that to eat one would be expected to labor.

Not to mention, what does “poor” even mean? Compared to Jesus days on earth, the poor of the US are wealthy. Similarly if we consider our poor versus the world’s poor.

What you have to keep in mind is that there is a purpose behind helping the poor. Jesus said the poor will be with us always. The commands to help the poor serve a purpose of expressing care and love for each other that translates to sharing the gospel of Jesus. There’s always the opportunity to share with someone the reason you keep sharing from your own stores.

To follow the arc, what does it benefit a person if you fill their belly for a day but they spend an eternity in torment due to not knowing Jesus? Satisfaction of the carnal needs is a gateway to satisfaction of an eternal need.

The reality is that the deadbeat and charlatan need Jesus, too. You can be open with them about knowing what they are doing but then still give to them as an example of grace and to make the point about God’s lavish grace for people who don’t deserve it.

So, I wouldn’t call it sin to not give to someone whom you are confident isn’t really poor. But it’s quite easy to find convenient excuses not to give. And we might be entertaining angels when we are not aware. And we also are rewarded in Heaven (don’t confuse this with salvation by works) according to our deeds. So err on the side of generosity. Parsing out who “deserves” grace and mercy is a dangerous road for a Christian. The measure with which we judge is going to be the measure with which we are judged.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You take care of your close blood family FIRST, biblically. That is your job, and you do not compromise on that to take care of others. If you are blessed with more, you help fellow believers next, and not indiscriminately or without wisdom. If you have more left over after that, than you can start looking outwards.

You don't just do handouts - he who can work (is capable of it and the jobs are there) but doesn't, shouldn't eat. Let his stomach put him to work. Hunger is no excuse for thievery, thieves are made to give back 4 times the worth of what they stole.

The job of the church is not welfare or society cleanup. The job of the church is to preach the Gospel and teach gospel believers the content of the biblical text. Para-church should not take over church, it should be aside and alongside.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]
A man that shall not work shall not eat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]
1 John 3:17-18

But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not sure he said how long but he said in Mathew 5:42 to give to anyone who asks and to not turn away anyone who wants to borrow.
View Quote

When asked how often we should forgive, he suggested we should forgive seventy times seven times . . . so assuming he'd feel the same about giving, the answer is 490. That's how many times you should help someone in need. . .  .

Mat 18: 21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
[22] Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
He also said "Turn the other cheek" and "Blessed are the meek" but most people here seem to think he was a second hand sword salesman.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

No he didn't.

Nevermind, addressed above.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reasonable to you or to Christ? Our scale and judgement is skewed, I know mine is. I think it best thought of as giving what you want from the heart no matter the amount or frequency. If you regret it or are apprehensive perhaps it is not the same as if you are joyfully giving. As clich as it is, the scale is WWJD.

Me personally I give to beggars if I have cash on me and feel led to. I once went and bought a combo meal for someone who had a sign saying they are hungry and as I drove off I saw them throw the food down in the mirror. I once gave to person I knew would go buy alcohol. I once was told by a lady she stood on the ramp as a job and makes more money that way than at a normal job.

My point here is it is I don't give any more in expectancy of a return on my investment with that individual but from the Lord if He sees fit. It is just a personal matter for me and the moment matters. If i chose poorly, my heart meant well.
View Quote

I recently had a lady approach me in the Aldi parking lot and ask to wash my car windows for a $5 donation so she could pay her rent. She looked and behaved like a serious meth addict but it wasn't my place to judge her intentions. I handed her a 20 and told her she didn't have to wash my windows (water and squeegee were already filthy).  She thanked me profusely and got teary eyed. I did also and told her I would pray for her situation. I believe her heart was in the right place but she was a slave to her addiction.

Beggers just sitting or standing with a sign I am less willing to help with menial jobs on all shifts and decent wages being available EVERYWHERE in my town and going unfilled. Heck, they don't even do drug tests or background checks anymore. Shuffle in the door, make a half-ass effort, and get paid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I recently had a lady approach me in the Aldi parking lot and ask to wash my car windows for a $5 donation so she could pay her rent. She looked and behaved like a serious meth addict but it wasn't my place to judge her intentions. I handed her a 20 and told her she didn't have to wash my windows (water and squeegee were already filthy).  She thanked me profusely and got teary eyed. I did also and told her I would pray for her situation. I believe her heart was in the right place but she was a slave to her addiction.

Beggers just sitting or standing with a sign I am less willing to help with menial jobs on all shifts and decent wages being available EVERYWHERE in my town and going unfilled. Heck, they don't even do drug tests or background checks anymore. Shuffle in the door, make a half-ass effort, and get paid.
View Quote
Awesome. Me and the wife was on a ramp at night in Montgomery and a lady came up to my window asking for money. Scared me quite a bit at first lol. I handed her a $20 and she started dancing and thanking us like that. The most satisfying was a homeless guy with a giant sea bag with all his belongings and he had a dog. My wife had me go back home and get a large zip lock bag of dog food and some water bottles. The guy said he was good on water but needed the dog food really bad and was over the moon thanking us. We did not give him any money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the standard I use:

When I truly help others,
they become better people
as a result of my help.

And when they do not become better people,
then I did not truly help them,
regardless of what I gave to them.

This puts all of the personal responsibility on me to know who and when to help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.  

There is a reason its a cliche or proverb, depending on your inclination towards it.  Allegedly the proverb has been around for over 800 years.

If that is what you are using for your defense, that your heart meant well, so be it.  Its not without danger.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He also said "Turn the other cheek" and "Blessed are the meek" but most people here seem to think he was a second hand sword salesman.
View Quote

The word “meek” had a completely different meaning when it was written.

Meek people (men) were ones that were armed and quite capable of violence.  However, they used their faith and mind to steady their sword hand.  They were not cowards or impotent men, as it is assumed today.  They were also not blood thirsty and quick to anger (violence) and many were then.

Edit. I’ll try to find the source.  The “meek shall inherit the earth” statement intrigued me so much that I did some research awhile ago.  Thats how I got to that point.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Meek people (men) were ones that were armed and quite capable of violence.  However, they used their faith and mind to steady their sword hand.  They were not cowards or impotent men, as it is assumed today.  They were also not blood thirsty and quick to anger (violence) and many were then.

Edit. I’ll try to find the source.  The “meek shall inherit the earth” statement intrigued me so much that I did some research awhile ago.  Thats how I got to that point.
View Quote

Thanks for that explanation, This makes sense, I really doubted the lord would entrust our world to the weak- We see now how well the weak act as stewards. please update when you can on the source!
Edit: Marcus Aurelius' on Stoicism?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're equating "meek" to "weak", yeah you have a misunderstanding. Meek doesn't mean cowering and afraid. It means open to learn and willing to submit to the will of God.

All one has to do is search the Bible for the word "meek" to see your twisted "armed man" explanation is pretty questionable. In a few cases you might be able to force your square peg in an obviously round hole, but in a lot of cases, it simply won't fit. The traditional biblical understanding of meekness -- a person who is open, teachable, not puffed up, not self-righteous -- fits perfectly in all these verses. Remember, the "earth" is not just the ground we stand on, but it the earth of our mind. If we are to inherit that, we must be open to God's instruction.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=simple&format=Long&q1=meek&restrict=All&size=First+100

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Lazy people don't get help. Don't loan money. [neither a borrower or lender be]

Help but don't get used. Some people need to feel the pain from their choices in life, it's how humans learn. Few people learn if their are shielded from the consequences of their decisions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Help but don't get used. Some people need to feel the pain from their choices in life, it's how humans learn. Few people learn if their are shielded from the consequences of their decisions.
View Quote

The gospel according to William Shakespeare (the part in bold)
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

It's where Shakespeare got it. He was good about writing plays about human nature and that never changes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's where Shakespeare got it. He was good about writing plays about human nature and that never changes.
View Quote

Where, specifically, in the Bible did Shakespeare get it?

The Old Testament talks about charging interest, but we're not talking about lending, borrowing or setting up loan terms. We're talking about GIVING to those in need.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The word "meek" had a completely different meaning when it was written.

Edit. I'll try to find the source.  The "meek shall inherit the earth" statement intrigued me so much that I did some research awhile ago.  Thats how I got to that point.
View Quote
You'll need more than one "source" for that silliness.
Jesus...the one in the Bible that is, was consistent in His message of non violence, acceptance of persecution for His sake, and insistence that the affairs of this world were without meaning.
Twisting Christianity into a Warrior religion is as silly as portraying Islam as a religion of peace-when it is a Warrior religion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Old Testament talks about charging interest, but we're not talking about lending, borrowing or setting up loan terms. We're talking about GIVING to those in need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need or wants? A lazy person has wants because he does not work, a man that works hard but falls on hard times is another thing entirely. Our country is full of the former, not the latter.

Locally, a good shit, shower, and a shave would get you some kind of a job. Maybe not a great job but a job and you'd get one in a week or less.

THAT is lazy, a man who will not work to live.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Need or wants? A lazy person has wants because he does not work, a man that works hard but falls on hard times is another thing entirely. Our country is full of the former, not the latter.

Locally, a good shit, shower, and a shave would get you some kind of a job. Maybe not a great job but a job and you'd get one in a week or less.

View Quote

It's often comforting to rationalize, justify, parse, set boundaries, impose exceptions, make excuses, etc. But the OP asked what the Bible/Jesus said. If a person doesn't want to follow the teaching of the Bible, that's their choice. And, admittedly, it's really hard to follow Jesus' teachings. He set a high bar that's hard to reach (he did say we could do it, though). It's a given that we will struggle to meet up to his standards. So what do we do at that point? Do we say "I have missed the mark, but God is merciful and I will strive to learn and to do better," or do we say "The Bible doesn't mean what it says. I'm right. It's wrong." One of those paths leads to righteousness. The other is hypocrisy. How does a person claim to be a "Christian" when he disputes the teachings of Christ?

ETA: I'm not pointing a finger at you. I include myself in "we." I routinely pass by beggers. I give very little to charity. I do not claim to be a generous person. Why not? Because I'm greedy and I want to hold onto what's mine. I could make excuses and say those people don't deserve my help, but the truth is I just don't want to give. That's not great of me, I know. I suppose the only thing that would make my selfishness worse if if tried to justify my greed as somehow being consistent with Christ's example.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's often comforting to rationalize, justify, parse, set boundaries, impose exceptions, make excuses, etc. But the OP asked what the Bible/Jesus said. If a person doesn't want to follow the teaching of the Bible, that's their choice. And, admittedly, it's really hard to follow Jesus' teachings. He set a high bar that's hard to reach (he did say we could do it, though). It's a given that we will struggle to meet up to his standards. So what do we do at that point? Do we say "I have missed the mark, but God is merciful and I will strive to learn and to do better," or do we say "The Bible doesn't mean what it says. I'm right. It's wrong." One of those paths leads to righteousness. The other is hypocrisy. How does a person claim to be a "Christian" when he disputes the teachings of Christ?

ETA: I'm not pointing a finger at you. I include myself in "we." I routinely pass by beggers. I give very little to charity. I do not claim to be a generous person. Why not? Because I'm greedy and I want to hold onto what's mine. I could make excuses and say those people don't deserve my help, but the truth is I just don't want to give. That's not great of me, I know. I suppose the only thing that would make my selfishness worse if if tried to justify my greed as somehow being consistent with Christ's example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Grandfather was probably the most ''Christian'' Christian one could ever meet on this earth. He would give you the shirt off his back even if had none left. However, when it came to bums/alki's/druggies, he'd offer them a job [and they damn well would work too] or a meal but NEVER money. His reasoning, he was helping them to destroy themselves by feeding their addiction to whatever they found more important then living.

He had always wanted to learn to fly and at 67, after owning his own construction company for decades, he finally took pilot lessons and got his license and learned to fly. When he finally couldn't pass the physical [he had sugar issues] he gave the plane to New Tribes for mission work. Don't know what made him happier, learning to fly or giving the plane away.

I would feed you but I would never feed your ability to destroy your life by handing over money either. Our country as a whole does the exact opposite thing, we hand over money to feed their addictions and lusts but offer little else. And once people learn that, they EXPECT it and are most ungrateful and even angry when more is not offered.

The US quit feeding the souls of men 60-70 years ago with the expected results we see today.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You'll need more than one "source" for that silliness.
Jesus...the one in the Bible that is, was consistent in His message of non violence, acceptance of persecution for His sake, and insistence that the affairs of this world were without meaning.
Twisting Christianity into a Warrior religion is as silly as portraying Islam as a religion of peace-when it is a Warrior religion.
View Quote

Well, there was the time he went into the temple, threw the money changers tables over, and drove them out with a whip he made. Also, he told his disciples to sell their second cloak and buy themselves a sword if they didn't have one. So yes, He was non-violent, except when certain circumstances called for it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well, there was the time he went into the temple, threw the money changers tables over, and drove them out with a whip he made. Also, he told his disciples to sell their second cloak and buy themselves a sword if they didn't have one. So yes, He was non-violent, except when certain circumstances called for it.
View Quote

Thank God that was written down for us to better understand Jesus.

I don't buy into the feminized liberal interpretation of Jesus as a weak spineless limpwristed doormat.

This is the Jesus I know.

"After that I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse appeared
The One Who was riding it is called Faithful,Trustworthy, Loyal, Incorruptible, Steady and True,
and He passes judgment and wages war in righteousness, holiness, justice, and uprightness.
His eyes blaze like a flame of fire, and on His head are many kingly crowns;
and He has a name inscribed which He alone knows or can understand.

He is dressed in a robe dyed by dipping in blood,
and the title by which He is called is The Word of God.

And the troops of heaven, clothed in fine linen, dazzling and clean, followed Him on white horses.
From His mouth goes forth a sharp sword with which He can smite, afflict, strike the nations;
and He will shepherd and control them with a staff, scepter, rod of iron.
He will tread the winepress of the fierceness
of the wrath and indignation of God
the All-Ruler, the Almighty, the Omnipotent."
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Matthew 10:13-15
King James Version
13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you.

14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#39]
If a man won't work he shouldn't even eat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it says "owe no man" somewhere in the Bible
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top